Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC EURO AMG/LORINSER; 1988 560SEL, 1995 S500 Sonderschutz
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with potential repair bills starting to add up, in addition to the "marred" reputation of having been in an accident, other 560 SELs that have been cropping up lately seem to be very enticing. I'd say for a reallly nice 560 with less miles, I'd be in for about $5-6000. I'm wondering if putting that money into my car now, I could have an even NICER 560 than one I could buy.

I'm looking at about 145k on my clock right now, with a necessary paint job, replacing the belts, belt tensioner (starting to squeal), accumulators installed (already bought, thanks Jon), new wheels, new brakes and rotors, wheel bearings, exhaust installation ($300 for new resonators, bought), as well as what I think is needed in springs and shocks. My interior is still pretty awesome, but in desparate need of cleaning and new floor mats.

What do you all say in your expert opinion? I'll try to get some pics up.

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
8,021 Posts
It'd depend of you wanted to keep long term and/or keep some value to the pink slip (without accident history). Is your current car in the EXACT color configuration of your "ideal?" If it is not, take advantage of the opportunity.

Without seeing the pics yet, I'd buy a '89 - '91 SEL/SEC, and swap the new parts from your car on to that and sell the car for FMV and go forward from there.

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL with Euro engine, 1998 SL500 Sport
2,957 Posts
You will also probably need a upper engine overhaul within the next 40k miles which is about $5k and if you say you really need a paint job ($4-5k) then I would start looking for a lower mileage newer example 90-91. You will be MUCH farther ahead financially... unless you have a huge sentimental attachment to your car.

·
Registered
Current: 1987 560 SEC US, former factory trained MB tech 10 years, owner of 14 others.
723 Posts
+1 on some sound advice. Especially now, much cheaper than ever! Anddddd you now have a parts donor.

·
Registered
1990 420SEL
138 Posts
I'm in the same boat, but, unfortunately, I've developed a keen sentimental attachment to my W126 that's clouding my good judgment...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts