Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1962 Swiss 404 S Troop Carrier, 1968 Swiss 404 S Command Box, 1956 French 404 S SWB Troop Carrier
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would share my efforts replacing the exhaust from the manifold to the tailpipe. The Unimog I am working on is my 1968 Swiss Radio Command truck. I am using a complete exhaust kit from Scott that I bought around three years ago.

I started by trying to undo the bolts from the exhaust manifold to the collector pipes. One of the six came out conventionally. The rest I cut out using a Dremel tool with a couple foot extension and cutter disks. About 15 of them.

For access to the rest of the pipes I drained and took off the gas tanks. That wasn’t too bad. Except for the long collector pipe, the rest of the exhaust came out using a reciprocating saw. Three cuts behind the long collector piece.

Getting the collector pipes out of the exhaust mainifold was not easy. My biggest concern was breaking the manifold as I read on this forum that can happen. So, for about an hour I wiggled the collector pipe assembly back and forth until the pipes started to come loose but the process was too slow.

So, I took off the front right wheel and reached through the wheel well with the reciprocating saw and cut collectors before the Y. That way I was able to reach in through the wheel well and get more leverage to continue wiggling. Another hour passed and they came out. Nothing broken. After that I cleaned up the inside of the manifold mounting area with the dremel wire wheel.

So, I felt like the hard part was over. Maybe not, however. I have tried to slide the new Y pipe assembly into place to connect it to the exhaust manifold. No luck. Every way I tried to get it in resulted in it binding somewhere. So, I have been studying the truck trying to decide what to do next. I’m not doing any more today. But, tomorrow, I think I might remove the vacuum brake assembly which may help with extra access. I might also disassemble the Y pipe as the one I have has a removeable flexible section of pipe. Worst case I might have to partially lift the cab which I’m not looking forward to.

I have two sets of service manuals printed by Buch and Bild and the Section 14/49, Ansaug und Auspuffanlage, is missing from both. That’s frustrating.

I’m going to give it another try in the morning. I’ll report back my results.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1962 Swiss 404 S Troop Carrier, 1968 Swiss 404 S Command Box, 1956 French 404 S SWB Troop Carrier
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Scott, Jerry

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
4,996 Posts
I never found the manifold to be delicate. I have certainly abused mine. Also, the new Y pipes never fit just right. They take some tweaking to get into the manifold. And those stupid donut seals.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I jacked up the cab just a hair under two inches and the pipes slid right under the cab mounts and into place.

The rest went smoothly even connecting the collectors to the exhaust manifolds. I kept the spacer block under the cab and was able tighten the six bolts from the wheel well. I could not have done that near as easily without the cab being lifted.

2A23FD81-62FE-44DB-B0BE-2A13F096F656.jpeg

Thanks again Scott and for the instructions on this. It saved me a lot of time.

Because my truck is the Swiss Command truck, the tailpipe is a little different coming out the side from a different place and sharing the exit with a gasoline heater exhaust pipe. So, I cut off the old tailpipe and am taking that to the muffler shop tomorrow to see if they can bend one to match my original. The truck sounds quieter and much healthier.

Some Fedhill alloy brakeline came in the mail Friday so I’ll be bending up some new brakelines this week.

Cheers,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice post. Thanks for sharing.
I was on the receiving end of this job not being done correctly after purchasing my Swiss 404 63 trooper. The collector pipe from the manifold was clamped to the next pipe along the S-pipe. Thought I could add this info to this post that it's important that the collector pipe and S-pipe are joined however are independent of eachother to pivot. Use a suitable lube and only clamp the bracket to the S-pipe. Please correct me if in wrong. I'm fairly sure this installation error single handedly cracked my exhaust manifold.
Have a nice day.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice post. Thanks for sharing.
I was on the receiving end of this job not being done correctly after purchasing my Swiss 404 63 trooper. The collector pipe from the manifold was clamped to the next pipe along the S-pipe. Thought I could add this info to this post that it's important that the collector pipe and S-pipe are joined however are independent of eachother to pivot. Use a suitable lube and only clamp the bracket to the S-pipe. Please correct me if in wrong. I'm fairly sure this installation error single handedly cracked my exhaust manifold.
Have a nice day.
Hello there C. Small, my manual is missing the section that would speak to this, so I cannot speak to the “right” answer.

However, I have a couple of Swiss 404 trucks and each exhaust pipe section is solidly attached to the next and this is on both trucks. They came this way from the the Swiss and appear stock. Of course, this post documented replacing one of them, but it was replaced exactly as it came originally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts