Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to take a drive today. Sunny, no wind, even up to 40 degrees! ha! Drove out around some lakes and just cruised down the highway. I know there are a lot of complaints on this board about this car but just wanted to bring something positive to it. I took time along this drive just to enjoy this car (2002 S500). The smooth and quite ride, the well designed interior, and the amazing exterior. Just pulled over and looked at it from many angles for some time. In my opinion a beautifully designed automobile. So anyway just a very pleasant experience today. Random but just thought I would share. :)

·
Registered
2004 S500 4Matic, 2006 S350
38 Posts
Thanks for sharing your positive experience. I feel that way every time I drive mine. It is truly a great experience. There is a reason the S Class Benz is one of the best cars made in the world. Happy motoring. We are getting 3 - 8 inches of snow today. So I washed my S350 and waxed it today. It won't have to move until I go to work on Monday. If I can't enjoy cruising it because of the weather I can at least enjoy cleaning it.

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
I did essentially the same. Car drove great, dynamic seating takes some getting used to but actually works well, and the engine is so damn smooth you can do 115 on the motorway before you realize it.

That said, even on sports 2, this thing rolls like crazy. For the tristate guys, I was on storm king mountain highway, and lets just say the s500 with airmatic is the wrong tool for that job.

Aside from that, it was marvelous.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
:nicethread:

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Let's try and keep a good positive thread going.
There are many positive things to say about the W220, Just rebuilt one that had a massive accident and it has 173,000 Km on the clock, first road test and it drives like a dream. Great cars guy's.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2001 S430
419 Posts
There are many positive things to say about the W220, Just rebuilt one that had a massive accident and it has 173,000 Km on the clock, first road test and it drives like a dream. Great cars guy's.:thumbsup:
Super to hear that! Keep us up to date how she is running and do you have pics from the bash mid and finished? would be very cool to see.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just cruised my S500 on a road trip and averaged 25.5 MPG at 73 mph. Gotta love the efficency of a luxury cruiser. Has anyone done the difference between 93 octane pure gas and 93 octane with 10% ethanol.

·
Registered
2000 S500 Designo
825 Posts
It really is a beautiful car, it rides like a cloud and is the quietest thing youll ever hear, then punch it and it accelerates like a ferrari and handles like a dream. Simply an amazing car. Id prefer a W220 to any comparably priced new car out there.

·
Registered
2004 S500 long
34 Posts
What a car!!!

I picked up a 04 S500 2 weeks ago at a pro dealers auction.
I had no intention of buying a Benz and was intent on buying a E46 or E92 3 series BMW.
I import high performance parts, Carbon fiber etc into Japan.
I need a 3 series as a car to do fitting checks for BMW parts.
My friend has a 2000 S500 and every time I got in the thing I was amazed at the quietness and ride. The car just ghosts down the road.
One day I said to him that I just had to have a drive.
That was the fatal mistake. I had to have one.
I picked up a mint condition 2004 in brilliant silver and black napa leather for under half retail cost. There is not a mark on the thing.
My family drove to Hiroshima about 300 kms yesterday.
I was surprised at the great gas mileage I got, the comfort and the effortless ease of driving.
I will go and buy a radar detector for it. That thing is so easy to speed in.
All I can say is Wow!:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bugzee enjoy the new ride. Fatal mistake driving your buddies S Class. Nothing drives like one. How much is gas in Japan?

·
Registered
2004 S500 long
34 Posts
Gas price in Japan

High octane is generally between 110 and 120 yen a liter around Kobe/Osaka.
You might find it for a little less if you shop around and are lucky.

My friend uses regular gas in his S500 and says that it is no problem but I have heard that it kills the catalytic converters.
Is this true?
How do people get on in areas of the world where gasoline is of not such good quality?

·
Registered
38 Posts
That works out to just over $4.00 a gallon. Our cost now is around $2.30 for 93 octane fuel. We are lucky to have access to good fuel. Sure makes the car run good. I still prefer non ethanol fuel.

·
Registered
1999 S430 w220
202 Posts
The long-awaited weekend is coming and I decided to lift this positive thread.

Last Saturday we had a MB-fan meeteing in Moscow - the season opening. Since I am a moderator of one of the largest Russian MB-forums I could not miss this happening.
This is how it was:

I arrived with my friends, in a line, representing 3 generations of S-class:

By that time there already was lots of folks in the place:

"Die S-klasse" timeline -

W108

W116

W126

W140

W220

Group photo

Maybe, I did not say much enough about what a great car the W220 is, but I suppose it ist too obvious to speak about. : )))

·
Registered
38 Posts
Awesome

Great group photo. Sure looks fun to me. What was the temp looks cold :). Was that your W220?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I must admit that driving one was my mistake also!

I was looking for a car as my daughter needed one and I stumbled across this 2006 S430 4-matic. I stopped in when the dealer was open, asked a few questions, checked out the car for awhile then said I would return.

The next day I drove a 2003 to see how it had held up and I was amazed. I had driven the Audi A8L, the Acura RL and they just didn't feel like this S430.

So I went back to the dealer with the 2006 and drove that one for a nice 20-30 minutes. After 3-5 days of negotiations, I got it for the price I wanted. It only had 30,500 miles on it, this was last year around this time. I think I have 37k on it. It should last me a very long time...unless I get fed up with some of the electrical quirks....

However, for me to get rid of it, I HAVE to find another car that drives as nice as this does. I got a loaner C350 last week and it's just not the same. Yes, it was fun and fast, but just nothing like my S Class.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts