Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was sold a pre-owned 2007 GL450 and was told the radio was "satellite capbable". i'm assuming this means that in order for the satellite radio to be installed, it must be at the factory. i don't want the wires/gear to show as with an aftermarket sat. radio. can you take it to a mb dealer and have them install the radio as they might have when it was new?

thanks so much!
jenna

·
Registered
2005 CL65 AMG, 2007 Ferrari F430
790 Posts
Yes you can, and if they want more than $799, we have an equivalent kit that plugs into the network, same as the factory unit. Sometimes dealers will give you a deal (we have heard), but most want around $1500 for it (or tell you it can't be done)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow...thanks so much!! that's great info. if they give me the runaround locally, maybe i'll just buy from you!
jenna

·
Registered
26 Posts
i was sold a pre-owned 2007 GL450 and was told the radio was "satellite capbable". i'm assuming this means that in order for the satellite radio to be installed, it must be at the factory. i don't want the wires/gear to show as with an aftermarket sat. radio. can you take it to a mb dealer and have them install the radio as they might have when it was new?

thanks so much!
jenna

You may be far better off buying an aftermarket unit to get the Sirius programming. There is a defect in most of the '06,07,08 and 09 Sirius Receivers (SDAR) that Mercedes will only fix on the '09's. All the previous years are being ignored by Mercedes. It's possible you could get one of those affected units if you purchased the "factory" SDAR unit for your car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks so much! i got an earlier response from another member; he actually took his 08 in and had a brand new (2010) factory unit installed. think it cost him an arm and a leg, but at least it IS possible!!

have you heard similar?

·
Registered
790 Posts
It is possible, but hardly worth the cost or effort. Daycruiser is quite correct, easier just to put in an iTronic and be done with it. Same as putting in factory system, except it works.. (sorry feeling crass this morning)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not to worry...feeling bah humbug here today as well. so, forgive my stupidity, but what exactly IS iTronic? does it replace the mb factory unit entirely, or is it in addition to?

·
Registered
790 Posts
iTronic is a series of devices designed for the Mercedes to plug into the car's fiber optic network. They are basically units that work the same or better than Mercedes OEM parts for things such as iPod, Satellite Radio, Bluetooth, etc.

They use the car's fiber optic network and give the owner of a Mercedes a "as factory installed" experience for additional functions that the car would not have currently.

·
Registered
26 Posts
thanks so much! i got an earlier response from another member; he actually took his 08 in and had a brand new (2010) factory unit installed. think it cost him an arm and a leg, but at least it IS possible!!

have you heard similar?
I would be very interested to know if your friends new SDAR is actually a 2010 model or a new '08 Model SDAR. The '09 and newer show a different part number for the SDAR and they work slightly differently than the '08's and older. I'm wondering if he/she will have the defect show up in this SDAR newly installed. MB claims it can't be fixed in the older units but they did fix it on the '09s with a replacement SDAR. I have the factory SDAR in my '07 and it has the defect on all 35 Sirius channels, my only recourse at this point is to rip it out and replace it with the iTronic interface and a new tuner. Currently CarTronics is using an XM tuner and I want a Sirius Tuner instead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so- is this something i go to my local dealer for then? i'm assuming they are the ones capable of handling the iTronic install? my priorities are (from greatest to least) 1. having satellite radio 2. having iPod capability from my iPhone 3G. bluetooth isn't something i'm concerned about.
am totally lost and was JUST about to fork out $1500 at my dealership. yikes!! i think you all are saving my wallet!!!

thanks so much for all this valuable info!!
jenna

·
Registered
26 Posts
so- is this something i go to my local dealer for then? i'm assuming they are the ones capable of handling the iTronic install? my priorities are (from greatest to least) 1. having satellite radio 2. having iPod capability from my iPhone 3G. bluetooth isn't something i'm concerned about.
am totally lost and was JUST about to fork out $1500 at my dealership. yikes!! i think you all are saving my wallet!!!

thanks so much for all this valuable info!!
jenna
The iTronics is really CarTronics CarTronics, the Leading Authority on Vehicle Electronics
Installed by a series of independent dealers authorized to install these systems in the aftermarket. If you don't care whether it's XM or Sirius then finding one of their dealers might be the way for you to go and save some money. I have no doubt you'll be satisfied with the outcome as you won't be able to tell the difference between the iTronic solution and the factory one. I would also assume that it will work better than the factory SDAR would considering the defect showing up in all the pre-'09 units. Call them and see if there is a dealer/installer in your area that can do it for you. It's not real hard to install but it would still take a technical person to do it properly. I think it's about half the cost of the factory/dealer installed SDAR system.

Geof

1 - 11 of 11 Posts