Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
C230 Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed either Sirius or XM Radio and if so were you able to tie it into your MB Factory radio with out loosing your steering wheel controls???

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
You will need the FM modulator version of satellite radio. The car's antenna wire plugs...

You will need the FM modulator version of satellite radio. The car's antenna wire plugs into the modulator and then a new line is run from the modulator to the antenna input on the headunit. Since Mercedes doesn't use the same connectors as American manufacturers, you will need the adapters Schosche makes for VW's.

If you have COMAND, it is easier. Just plug the satellite tuner output in the AUX jack.

·
Registered
2 Posts
XM Veteran

[:)]

Hi:

I think that i can help you. I am now on my third car with XM Radio. I have both the tape adapter and the FM modulator kit.

My impression is that the casette tape adapter on the Sony model (highly recommended, as with a home kit you can plug it into your stereo/hifi at home by simply pulling it in/out of the cradles-one in car one at home) does the best job for great stereo sound.

I had the FM modulator in the Saab but the distortion associated with triple signal conversion (mpeg digital satellite to analog stereo, then the stereo to FM, then the FM to analog again) makes this a poor option IMHO.

Oh, BTW, don't put the antenna on the hood unless you have a hatchback (hard to reach), instead just put it under the rear window velcro strapped or else the VANDALS will get the better of it. Trust me, this XM signal is strong enough for me to get reception in the middle of the living room at home.

Your recessed casette player should accept the tape adapter that comes with the Sony kit.

BTW did you notice that Alpine, Pioneer, Sony, and Blaupunkt went with XM as opposed to Sirius where Jennsen provides the equip? When was the last time that Jennsen made anything but Chinese labor camp eye candy for the lower echelons? OOPS that was uppety :)
The Sony unit is Japanese original, built by free and motivated people.

Hope that this was helpful

BTW again i still have the FM modulator with the radio connector if you want it (but no other parts).

B

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
The problem with cassette adapter, besides the fact that I have the MB indash CD instead...

The problem with cassette adapter, besides the fact that I have the MB indash CD instead, is that you can't use cassette adapters with the cassette door open, it will start beeping fairly loudly in a few minutes unless the door is completely close. If the RF adapter won't work well then I guess we are outa luck. Is there a better RF adapter than the Sony unit?

·
Registered
C230 Coupe Magma Red
17 Posts
For Sirius, check out this web site.

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?s=...

For Sirius, check out this web site.

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18425&highlight=Sirius

for XM radiohttp://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7261&highlight=xmradio+install

hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
XM Radio

Could a U shaped opening be drilled or filed into the casette bay door? This could allow the casette adapter cable to exit with the door fully closed.

I am just guessing here as my 6-speed C320 sedan has not arrived yet.

Bob

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sirius

A Sirius system is in the works for future MB models. But when it is available, reverse compatibility for older models may not be supported by Mercedes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts