Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Premium Member
1983 380 SL
Discussion Starter #1
@roncallo is on Long Island and he brought Samson with him.

We arraigned to meet at a car show in the Wendy's parking lot in West Sayville but he didn't make it. I got a call with the bad news that Samson broke down on the way to the car show and he needed to get towed back to where he was staying.

We managed to meet up Saturday and I couldn't wait to see Samson up close and in person. As John opened the garage door the moment had arrive to meet the legend... a V12 107. The eye candy value was undeniable.

There's no mistaking that this car has the right name... Samson!

Samson2.jpg

I moved in closer for a better view of a V12 engine sitting in an engine bay just barely big enough to house a V8.
It's not possible to put a V12 in a 107 right?

Samson1.jpg

I looks like you could just turn the key and go... right. Well, only until you move around to the side and get a look at the dashboard.
This is what it takes to replace the wiring harness in a 107. Gulp.

Samson3.jpg

Knowing John, once he gets back to NC he'll have this all sorted out and running like new again in no time.

Good luck John. (y)

Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
It is a super impressive view of the engine bay alright. Looking at the (missing) dashboard I know Samson will be back - stronger, better, faster! :D I bet John if you could get your hands on one of them S-class prototypes you'd squeeze its V16 into Samson, no hassle (y) 馃槃

Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
Among other talents Roncallo, you are obviously a contortionist. How the hell did you manage to get the dash out with the seats in place! (y)

Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
Among other talents Roncallo, you are obviously a contortionist. How the hell did you manage to get the dash out with the seats in place! (y)
Its the first time I ever got the dash out without removing the driver seat. All you need to do is remove the arm rest off the driver seat. I actually read that in the online manual. Allegedly it can be done that way for the .046 107's. They never mentioned the .048 but it works.

Premium Member
It is a super impressive view of the engine bay alright. Looking at the (missing) dashboard I know Samson will be back - stronger, better, faster! :D I bet John if you could get your hands on one of them S-class prototypes you'd squeeze its V16 into Samson, no hassle (y) 馃槃
It's actually a toss up between

and

Premium Member
My wife doesn't want me to do any more work on the car here. She see's me having a heart attack in this heat and so do I. My lack of parts, tools proper lighting and especially the heat, its best to wait. I should be home Saturday or Sunday. But this is the garage I grew up in and learned to work on cars. It was a nice garage when I was 16.

Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
I'm as impressed with that V12 as I am with John's ability to remove the Dash away from home and away from his tools. I don't have the guts to remove a R107 dash.

Reactions: miko1aj

Premium Member
1983 380 SL
Discussion Starter #10
According to John all he did was follow the step by step instructions in the manual.

Premium Member
I don't know... maybe John will jump in and tell us.
It kind of is a scary job the first time you do it. There end up being so many wires you think you will never figure it out. But the first time you do it, if you take your time and mark all the wires it will be about an 8 hr job to remove and an 8 hr job to install. The second time you do it it will be about 4hr each way and you wont need to mark wires. One word of caution, If you dashboard isn't cracked and is 30+ years old it will be by the time you get it out.

Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
If you dashboard isn't cracked and is 30+ years old it will be by the time you get it out.
So....15 minutes for me.

Probably come out in 3 pieces , at this point. LOL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts