Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the wreckers yard yesterday picking up a strut for my neighbour's Dodge and saw he had an older W124 there. Nothing in it I need, but I did stop to take some pictures. It was running when hit, and the owner traded it to the wrecker for a running car. 400,000 km on the clock

http://photobucket.com/n89414-300e

If anyone is interested PM me and I'll pass on the wrecker's email.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,789 Posts
I know it's off-topic, but I couldn't help seeing your signature with the '86 Hyundai Pony.

I remember that car well, for what it was. Here in the US, it was called the Excel (no relation to the spreadsheet of the same name).

It was affordable, but man was that thing a death trap. I think a empty can of soda had better crumple zones.:D:D

On mine, the front flex brake lines burst early on in life when needing to make a emergency stop one time. Let's just say that I'm glad I was in the right hand lane and the sidewalk was empty at the time:eek:.

Hyundai has definitely come a long way, wouldn't mind having a Genesis or Equus with the V8 if I was in the market for a new car. At least as good if not better than anything the Japanese are putting out nowadays without the loss of steering issues that Toyota is still dealing with.

But have always preferred German cars though, despite the higher running costs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Canadian version of the Pony was the model before the Excel. It was rear wheel drive and the EPA wouldn't allow them to sell it in the US. The Excel was FWD and used the same Mitsubishi engine with a different intake and electronic fuel injection instead of the old 2-barrel carb.

So far as I know there's about 100 or so left in the roads across Canada. The Mitsu drivetrain was bulletproof. The body was made of the cheapest, crappiest mild steel known to exist, and they were famous for arriving at the dealers with "factory rust".

I got a rust-free Pony on Vancouver Island for $415. Hardly touched the body, but got everything sorted except the engine, which needs a rebuild. One of these days. It still runs. My sister has borrowed it for a while, but it's soon to be retired as I am down to one pair of inner tie rods, which are now entirely unavailable.

13" pizza-cutter tires, RWD and low horsepower on a standard trans make it a lot of fun in the snow. Just don't hit anything.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The wrecker (Steve) got the W124 in a trade from a guy who intended to repair/rebuild it but was swamped with too many projects. He said it's going to be crushed and I can pull off whatever I can carry away.

The Pony doesn't belong at a wreckers. They were very popular as "targets" at local demolition derbies back in the day....

·
Registered
113 Posts
I sure would like to see the CIS-E ECU saved and if the MB part number begins with "002" I wouldn't mind having it!
Regards, Eric

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Shame it took a strong T-Bone it to send it to the bone-yard :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts