Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2011 E350 Bluetec, 2005 E320 CDI (sold), 1995 E300 Diesel (RIP)
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have a 1995 E300 Diesel (w124) and the rear of the car sits low when I put anything in the rear seats--forget putting anything substantive in the trunk. The car is base model and doesn't have the hydraulic self-leveling option that the wagons have. I just purchased Bilstein shocks and struts and now I'm not sure that they will fix the problem. I've talked to my mechanic and I told him what I thought and he didn't disagree, but after reading some things on this forum I think it might be springs?? I'm very confused..All I know is that when the car was new it didn't sag when two adults would sit in the back seat. I have 103,000 miles on it. Does anyone know what this is and how I can rectify it?

Thanks,

TI

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just talked to my mechanic again and explained to him that the car looks ok when empty and at a standstill, but one i have more than 150 lbs in the back seat or 60lbs in the trunk the car starts to look overloaded. Since the shocks don't affect ride height we have come to the conclusion that it must be the springs. Anyone know where to get OEM coil springs? I found them on partsgeek for $40+/- a piece, but I doubt they're OEM. Also, does anyone have any recommendations on preventative maintenance on front end work besides struts and springs that I should replace? Already done ball joints and doing left and right tie-rod assemblies... The car is a 1995 E300 Diesel in excellent condition with 103,000 miles..

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
Use this spec sheet to pick out the springs you want, then either see your local dealer, or one of the many online vendors of Mercedes parts out there

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zeitgeist,

Thank you the spec sheet looks useful...One question, how do I measure to see which springs I would like? I ask this because the 1995 E300 doesn't appear to be on the spec sheet...I imagine it would be the same as the 1994 E320?? But back to my main question, from "what to what" are the "spec measurements" based on? (eg - say for instance the spec sheet says 15 inches -- how would that be measured on the front of the car and on the back?)

Thanks,
TI

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,388 Posts
Worn out or bad shocks will affect not only ride & handling but ride height too as the shocks are not resisting and thus compressing (too easily) under load. That with the fact that these are heavier than today's cars makes the shocks a vital part to happy MB ownership.

Stick with Bilstein for best results which is what the factory uses, Sachs-Boge, or genuine MB replacements. Don't get KYBs or Monroe or the like, you won't be pleased with the end result unless you want a cheap shock that will only last a short while.

I tried KYBs on my old W126 diesel and they worked OK for about a year, although the ride was never like the factory setup. After that the rear started bouncing unacceptably wild almost zero load until I went back to the Bilstein factory shocks.

·
Registered
'91 C124 300CE, '06 W164 ML500, '00 BMW MCOUPE, '65 COBRA REPL.
547 Posts
I agree with the above.
Bad shocks will affect the car the way you describe.
Change the shocks to Bilsteins and you should be ok.
I had the same issue with my car when I bought it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys... Are Lesjöfors Springs good? They're the only brand I can find for coil spring replacement for my e300... Any informed opinions?

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,388 Posts
Never heard of that brand, maybe you meant Lemforder who makes a whole bunch of MB suspension replacement parts???

I seriously doubt you need new springs. Shocks should be primary replacement. Be sure to get new bump stops and shock boots from the front units. The stocks are most likely at the end of their useful service life.

·
Registered
547 Posts
There are actually Lesjöfors Springs. They make springs for all different applications, but do not specialize in car springs. I would not buy those, because I do not know much about them.

The best springs for our cars are H&R.
Eibach used to be great, but they do not list any springs for our cars any more.

This is the part # you need. 29569-2.

Here is the link.

Mercedes-Benz Suspension Applications || H&R Special Springs, LP

Unfortunately or fortunately, these will lower your car by 1.3". The look will improve, the ride will not be greatly affected if you use the right shocks. Bilsteins HO. Not sports.
If you want rougher ride, go with sports, the yellow ones.

Again, I doubt you need springs. Just shocks.

·
Registered
'89 300TE, '79 450SL, '01 ML320
1,051 Posts
Hate to disagree here but, the type of shocks/struts used on this car have no effect on ride height.
The gas charge (nitrogen) within the shock is only there to add stabilization to the oil.

The weight of the car is carried by the spring, unless you want to change all four just go with the stock rears.
Have you looked to see if the rears may be broken? I've had customers in the past that carry
a lot of tools for there work in the trunk. Seen lots of broken rear springs over the years ;)

Fish

By the way Rockauto now sells Boge and KYB springs at a pretty nice price. If you get them there, apply
discount code 42333952895283 in the 'How Did You Hear About Us?' box for 5% off

·
Registered
547 Posts
Fish,
he mentioned that the rear sags when he ads weight to the car. Not when it is unloaded. From my experience, when my front shocks were shot, the car would sag even if a bird sat on the hood. Well, you get the idea.
I replaced the shocks and now it is great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts