Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'84 300TD
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The government here in Nova Scotia just made some changes to the annual vehicle safety inspection system. What was added was a mandatory wheel-off front and rear pad check ( in the case of drum brakes-the drums have to be removed). That part makes sense, but what has me irritated is that when a car goes in to inspection (even if it is not due) it must be repaired by that garage or if you insist on removing your vehicle, they pull the entire safety inspection sticker. This makes it illegal to move your car on local roads. So you're stuck with either repairs they do or a car you have to get a special permit to move(or tow). I have a good garage but I just got a $595 rear brake job, not including new rotors or anything in the emergency brake department (pads, 1 caliper rebuilt, 2 flex cables) in order to pass inspection. Anyway, the work needed to be done, but IF I wanted to do it somewhere else or do it myself, it would have difficult to achieve. Just wondering how other parts of the MB world deal with safety inspections, if any?

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
That sucks, and sounds like a scam. They should really offer a grace period of say a month to get the car up to spec. Sounds like a shop can chage whatever they please and you have no say at all.

California is easy on diesels, no smog and no car in our state has any inspection. I think that is why there are so many crummy cars on the road. There needs to be a better medium.

·
Registered
366 Posts
That sounds like a total money grab, and not a suprise since you are in Canada. How many cars have accidents each year due to brake failure? Does anyone know? I've driven some serious beaters and never had the brakes fail on any one of them. Sounds like a lawmaker has been watching too many old Chips reruns.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
There are no safety or emissions testing here (thank god…).

As I’ve noted before: if there were inspections and emissions I seriously doubt I’d be into older MBs; one of the reasons why I like them is I can work on them myself, including the brakes.

My hat’s off to those of you who must put up with that crap.

·
Registered
'84 300TD
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lorbenzo Lammas said:
That sounds like a total money grab, and not a suprise since you are in Canada. How many cars have accidents each year due to brake failure? Does anyone know? I've driven some serious beaters and never had the brakes fail on any one of them. Sounds like a lawmaker has been watching too many old Chips reruns.

I agree totally. Here the inspection must happen every year, even if your car is new. Funny how you never have to get your driver's license inspected (just renewed).

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Definitely a scam...here in VA they put a pink sticker on it giving you X number of days to fix it Then you bring it back for reinspection for a nominal fee, Think its only $5. Or you can take it somewhere else and pay the full fee. I do my own work but do realize not everyone will know if they are being scammed or not.

·
Registered
1986 300E, 1978 280CE
68 Posts
Why Not Self Inspect?

Lorbenzo Lammas said:
Why not do the inspection yourself FIRST and see what needs to be done, fix it THEN take it in for inspection. That would be my plan if I lived in those circumstances.

John

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,161 Posts
jwhughes3 said:
Why not do the inspection yourself FIRST and see what needs to be done, fix it THEN take it in for inspection. That would be my plan if I lived in those circumstances.

John
And then you know for sure if the garage is jerking you around or not.

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1995 W124.034
3,892 Posts
we have safety inspections here in mississippi... all they checks is lights and horn ect... i dont know how half of the cars in this state are legally on the road

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Here in Florida we used to have emissions testing here. My 280ce never failed even without a egr.

·
Registered
'84 300TD
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jwhughes3 said:

John
I left a few gaps in my orignal post....IF the mechanic deems a car not roadworthy they pull the sticker. I knew the pads were low and under our old system, that would not matter, under the new system they were deemed not road worthy so I could get the work done or suffer the consequences. I don't believe thin pads on rear brakes make it not roadworthy. I think legistalators drive new cars only.

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
79Mercy said:
Here in Florida we used to have emissions testing here. My 280ce never failed even without a egr.
And now we don't thanks to powerful used car dealer lobby. Florida is now a dumping ground for all lemon cars that cannot be fixed in other states that have emission testing.
No problem, just ship it to Florida,, and auction it off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts