Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy, i thought i did a decent job reading the Jumbo manuals.... But yesterday? I learned a rather scary "safety" feature on our 2011 E 350.

With our recent rains, mosquitos have been running a'muck... Being the disease-toting, evil winged Vampires, i am not fond of them.

After filling the gas, i am pulling away from the pump, when i see a winged-devil inside driver's
Window, so what do i do? Simple, pop the door open, and let the bugger out, right???

BAM!!! Granted, i was going ONE MPH? Next thing i know, i slam to a stop, and engine revs, but no movement.

Regaining my composure, I notice the Transmission is in PARK! What kind of stupid "safety" feature throws the tranny into park while you are moving? What would have happened At 20 mph?

I did a quick Test, car NOT moving, but in DRIVE. Open the door? Shifts into PARK!!!

Thank Goodness, i was barely moving, so i cannot believe there was any damage incurred.

Thought I should give the community a Heads-Up.

G

· Registered
2001 SLK320 ex Japan.
269 Posts
I just tested the theory and all that happens when I open the door with the car in gear and rolling is there is a warning in red in the speedo.
I am not sure this is a universal issue. Could it be that something is wrong in your car or is it a US reg that MBUSA has to comply with?

· Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,890 Posts
It does not seem normal to me, kinda stupid really. Maybe you should give the dealer a call.

· W201, W212, W221, & W222 Moderator
'84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '15 G63 AMG
9,242 Posts
Wow, that doesn't seem safe at all! Call them up and see what they have to say.

If it is some silly regulation, then someone at the nation DOT level is a complete and utter moron!

· Registered
2012 ,W212 Mercedes-Benz E Klasse
652 Posts
Yes, I have noticed that too. I was coming to stop less than turtle speed so to say and as soon as I opened the door the car shifted into a grinding Park . That was not a smooth one . I once was driving at the normal cruising speed I deliberately touched the button at the end of the gear selector stalk that selects P and a warning message popped the display it was something like Don't Shift Into Park When Moving .
If you first put the car in N and open the door it won't engage into P

· W201, W212, W221, & W222 Moderator
'84 Euro 500SE, '85 Euro 2.3-16, '51 Euro 170S, '97 Jeep Wrangler Sport, '15 G63 AMG
9,242 Posts
If someone would please call MB to confirm this is in fact a "safety" feature, I'd like to record and add this thread to the FAQ sticky to warn/educate users of this phenomenon so they aren't surprised when it happens.

I feel this is something important that MUST be archived for future purposes. I don't currently own a W212 myself so I can't call as I don't have a dog in this particular fight.

This is yet another reason why I prefer manual cars and wish MB would offer manual cars here in the US.

In all honesty, I'd have bought a manual W212 MB diesel when they first came out had they been an option like they are in Europe.

MB, if you're reading this, give us US customers a manual option!!

· Premium Member
2014 E550 4matic
8 Posts
My 2014 E550 does the same thing. I have never opened the door while moving or even thought about what may happen if I did since I never do that. I actually like it because when I go to park the car I just open the door and hit the shutoff button. The doors are locked unless in park anyways. It does make you lazy though for driving any other car. Also hitting the start button puts it in park when you are shutting it down.

· Premium Member
89 R107, 05 CDI
2,535 Posts
I have noticed this too, it's a bit of an odd thing...

Electronics are great, but it's too much of a button tranny in it's operation, at least you can pop it into reverse or forwards without having to come to a complete stop, if I couldn't I would be bothered by it. Also, I find there is a lag with the drive by wire throttle.

· Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haa Haa, Marky Mark! Yes, that would seem logical, now, wouldn't it??

Trust me.... I have gone through SOOOOOOOO many Window Regulators, throughout my "fleet".... I have Brainwashed myself into using an "Open Door", rather than a "Roll down my window" procedure (ie. for getting into a parking garage with an access card).

Well, I am glad to hear that I'm not "smokin' crack".... and that OTHERS have the same STUPID "safety" function.

· Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok.... I JUST found it!! Hidden at the bottom of Page 155! (Some Jumbo Manual, eh???)
Here is what it says:

""The automatic transmission shifts
automatically into park position P if you
open the driver's door when the vehicle is
stationary or at very low speed and the
transmission is in position D or R. This
function depends on the date of
manufacture of your vehicle ""

· Registered
2014 E350 4Matic - Palladium Silver, Sport , 18k miles........
810 Posts
One has to wonder what are the potential deleterious effects on the transmission when this occurs? Can't be good for the longevity of the Parking pin or whatever gets engaged at "Park".

· Premium Member
2014 E550 4matic
8 Posts
Mike_747,
I would be pissed if I ever opened my door while moving and it shifted into park. I like that it shift into park automatically when I hit the kills button or when I open the door when I'm stopped. But not if Im moving at all. I hope the quality of Mercedes is not dropping, but this E5 50 had major problems in the first few months. For the last year finally, the bugs seem to of been worked out of it. Unfortunately we have turned off the multiple thousands of dollars worth of safety devices, i.e. The active Lane keeping assist, the active blind spot assist , Etc. we have gone through three sets of brakes in 30,000 miles.

· Registered
2011 S212, 1978 R107
238 Posts
This is also at the core of the "Car Wash Warning"-- when you get out of the car at the car wash with it rolling (like the car wash attendants invariably do) it will go into PARK-- which is incompatible with the roller track that moves the car through the car wash!

The guys at the automatic car wash near me (which I use in the wintertime just so I can practice paint correction in the springtime) are experienced enough to put it in neutral. . . and then they rev it to about 6,000 rpm, just to be sure! Sigh.

· Registered
2001 SLK320 ex Japan.
269 Posts
My damned manual says the same thing but it is useless for them to say that without giving reference dates of manufacture. Dummies!
On a positive not it gives me a good reason to point out to MBC that they ain't necessarily the smartest guys in the room. What fun!

· Registered
2000 E430 4Matic, 2007 R320 CDI, 2012 E63 P30, 2013 SLK250
440 Posts
things like this is what makes that almost pristine $10,000+ 300SD in your local ads looking better and better!

I think after you've had your fun with the newer cars, and after the novelty wears off, you will come back to the older ones.

Interestingly, as I was contemplating moving back to a pre 90s MB, I came across this article..
good read.

-Robert

52,890 Posts

52,890 Posts
As a matter of interest how do we embed a link as you have done? I ask because much of my computer is in Chinese so I never know what to click on to embed things.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.