Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My 1995 C200 has a saddled fuel tank (a left and and right tank on either side of the drive shaft connected by a narrow strip at the top). I was driving at about 50 mph when the car became sluggish and about to stall. I took it to the workshop and there the engine stalled and wouldn't start up. Then we realised that the right side tank is completely dry. The left side tank must be full because I had filled up the tank a few days before and the fuel gauge indicates that the tank is half full. Once I put in 16 litres of fuel the gauge indicated that the tank was full and the car started beautifully well... Seems that fuel on the left side of the tank is not reaching the right side.

After going through the forum I realised that this seems to be a problem experienced by some of you. Please tell me what to do? Will I have to replace the fuel tank? Is there a pump inside the tank that can be replaced? I have not seen any advice on this matter in the forum. Hope some of you who have had the problem have solved it.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
The only thing I can think of is the tranfer line has deteriorated between the saddle. You should check all the outgoing and incoming lines for the evap lines as well. If you have to pull the tank the line would have to be replaced not necessarily the tank itself even though the labor may be somewhat intensive. To the best of my knowledge there is only 2 fuel senders inside the tank, no interior pump for your car, only the exterior fuel pump. Please update on your progress, best of luck. B

·
Registered
2 Posts
remove the fuel sender unit on the left side and remove it from 2pipes coming from the other side of the tank and use a compressor to blow the 2 pipes from the other side of the tank and as soon the pipes are clear connect back the sender unit and your problem will be solved hopefully

·
Registered
1 Posts
Feul tank imbalance.

I had the same problem with my C200 Compressor-2003 model. After spending lots of money on fuel pumps, new floats the car kept leaving me stranded without fuel while the gauge showed the tank have fuel. I decided to do my own investigation and realized that the return is much slower than the pump pushing fuel to the engine. There was just one thing left and that was the Fuel filter. I changed it and it was so dirty and clogged that's why the return fuel wasn't sufficient and fuel kept flowing to the right side of the tank instead of balancing between saddle tanks. The previous owner never changed the fuel filter. I solved the whole problem by just replacing the fuel filter. Trust me, that's the only reason for this chain of problems. And the fuel filter only cost me R300 SA rand's after spending thousands because Merc mechanics couldn't solve the problem. So in short, Just replace the damn fuel filter.

Hi All,

My 1995 C200 has a saddled fuel tank (a left and and right tank on either side of the drive shaft connected by a narrow strip at the top). I was driving at about 50 mph when the car became sluggish and about to stall. I took it to the workshop and there the engine stalled and wouldn't start up. Then we realised that the right side tank is completely dry. The left side tank must be full because I had filled up the tank a few days before and the fuel gauge indicates that the tank is half full. Once I put in 16 litres of fuel the gauge indicated that the tank was full and the car started beautifully well... Seems that fuel on the left side of the tank is not reaching the right side.

After going through the forum I realised that this seems to be a problem experienced by some of you. Please tell me what to do? Will I have to replace the fuel tank? Is there a pump inside the tank that can be replaced? I have not seen any advice on this matter in the forum. Hope some of you who have had the problem have solved it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I am also going through the same issues as you. My C220 1995 runs out of fuel while the gauge is pointing at half tank.

I've changed the fuel pump, fuel filter but still the problem won't go away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone help with this? My situation is that my 2009 MB E350 just literally stopped while I was driving 60 mph on a highway. There was no check engine light, no warning. Found out I have California emission style saddlebag fuel pump/tank assembly and that my fuel pump needs to be replaced. But I have to replace the entire thing for $4700, can't just fix the pump because they are built into the entire assembly. Clearly this is a huge design flaw. First I have no idea why I had this type of emission system as the car came from NJ and I live in GA. Does anyone know of any recourse I might have here?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Can anyone help with this? My situation is that my 2009 MB E350 just literally stopped while I was driving 60 mph on a highway. There was no check engine light, no warning. Found out I have California emission style saddlebag fuel pump/tank assembly and that my fuel pump needs to be replaced. But I have to replace the entire thing for $4700, can't just fix the pump because they are built into the entire assembly. Clearly this is a huge design flaw. First I have no idea why I had this type of emission system as the car came from NJ and I live in GA. Does anyone know of any recourse I might have here?
JSDAVIS,

You are on the wrong forum - this is the w202 forum.
You own a w163 - post here your questions/concerns: https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w164-m-class.53/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts