Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300GD *2
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered new rear shocks part no A0033260300. Are these the same as the SACHS HD shock? What kind of lifespan could I expect?
PEter Merle

·
Registered
1981 240GD+, Alfa Brera 3,2 V6 Q4 2006, Alfa GT 3,2 V6.
221 Posts
Peter, I have changed from OEM shocks to Koni adjustable shocks. The OEM one have lasted only +-20000 Km, the OME shocks after doing Baboon's pass had to be replaced. I am loading the "G" with 175 lt of fuel, 100 lt of water, roof carrier with roof tent, camping equipment etc, i.o.w. I load quite heavy.
Dirk has fitted Koni shocks(made for the G) and has done more than 100 000 km (rough play in Lesotho) and his shocks are still in perfect working order. Thes Koni shock are adjustable in 4 settings 0,1,2 & 3 and very reliable, The order Nr 30 1322 and 301323 at CRS Accessories, Midrand. speak to Grant van Eck 0826010278 or Steve 0828940947. The price is interesting as well, at @ R 1050.00 (incl VAT).

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
Doesn't Bilsteins make shocks for the G?? If so, then Bilstein shocks last a very long time...supposedly for the life of the vehicle.

Does anyone have Bilsteins on their G?? Bilsteins list only for the older model G...can the newer G (2002-up) fit these same Bilsteins?? How's the ride with the Bilsteins?

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
i believe our vehicles come with bilsteins as stock unless they've changed something. I've read here that they all come with bilsteins after a certain date.... although in our unique situation (vehicle) i think our vehicles are going to outlast the shocks! [;)]

The koni's sound pretty cool though in that they are adjustable. I've thought the truck might benefit from some slightly stiffer springs and slightly softer shocks for better bump sensitivity and slightly less body roll in long corners like freeway overpasses (not that the current body roll is much anyway). Or at least less compression damping... the rebound is good. Do any companies make independantly adjustable rebound and compression? I'm thinking mountaing bikes now and it's quite a nice feature to be able to set them so it's quick to move over bumps but slow to return.

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
Eric, the Koni's are the ones if you want some user adjustability. GK's made by Doetsch http://www.doetsch-shocks.com are beautifully constructed and work great. Bilsteins are not lifetime units. Mike Serpe uses a Rancho shock for the front I believe that he is impressed with. I'll bet there is a company out there that can make a shock that is compression and rebound adjustable like motorcycle monoshocks but they will be very very expensive. Good ones like the those made by Ohlins for motorcycles are around $1000 each. Makes the Koni's look like a bargan.

-Dai

·
Registered
300GE Cab, 6.9
556 Posts
ewalberg - 1/31/2005 9:37 AM
Do any companies make independantly adjustable rebound and compression? I'm thinking mountaing bikes now and it's quite a nice feature to be able to set them so it's quick to move over bumps but slow to return.
I believe King Off-Road and Fox Racing both make shocks that have independently adjustable rebound and compression. They are strange looking and I'm not sure they would fit inside the G's shock tower. I love the idea too. With the derth of spring options for the G, I'm wondering if the undesireable aspects of a not-quite-perfect (e.g. too soft or too stiff) aftermaket spring could be mitigated by the use of an external bypass shock. Also, as one who uses his G as a daily driver, the idea that I could tune my suspension for the street, graded washboard dirt roads, or rock-strewn trails is very alluring.

http://www.kingshocks.com/shocks.htm
http://www.foxracingshox.com

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 300GD *2
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YEs Bilsteins do make shocks for the G . Priced here in SA they are more than 30% more than OEM shocks which for the older series G are made by SACHS.
PEter Merle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts