Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I want to know wether the W221 S63 AMG (pre-facelift) model came with limited slip differential, or if it was even an option?
I've seen a YT video, where the guy said the C63 AMGs came standard with it, so I'm wondering if the S63 has it too.

I'm only interested in the mechanical LSD, not some eletronic rubbish, that trys to imitate an LSD.

Thanks

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,786 Posts
So, I googled W221 S63 AMG Limited Slip Differential, looks like aftermarket only and Renntech has one. Most of us have other stuff going on so unless there is some immediate firsthand knowledge, it takes us researching (googling sometimes) to find the answer. So, 2 minutes ago I didn't know and now I do! :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I meant like some of the forum users must have bought one new hand, or even second hand. And I for example like to know what I'm trying to buy. That's why I was actually shocked how noone knew. And believe me I did my fair bit of googling as well, and since I didn't find any concrete info about it, it's why I asked the question. Also quite bold of you to assume I have a lot of time on my hand.
I'm guessing since the S class has always been more of a luxury barge, even the AMG variant, they didn't have the option for it. Kind of a pity, but understandable.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,786 Posts
Also quite bold of you to assume I have a lot of time on my hand.
Not really assuming anything here (which I why I posted a smiley :) ), just helping you understand that we do what we can to answer but there are just a few of us here.

As for the W221, it does have a lot of other gear to help reduce wheel spin (ESP, BAS) and the car is 4800lbs empty. Maybe LSD is just overkill?

There seems to be a trend in technology recently to discontinue anything not considered widely used. An example would be port replicators/docking stations for laptops. HP, IBM, Dell have all discontinued their decades old practice of installing a quick connect port on laptops that would mate with a docking station citing that only 10% of their laptops were ever ordered with a docking station. In that vein I could see Mercedes reasoning away an LSD as 'not for most customers' even AMG.

Good luck on your search for a new Benz! Looks like you're a W140 owner too, I loved my W140 and feel that the quality in that car is present in the W221. Just without the biodegradable engine harness. ;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah then my apologies. I misunderstood what you wrote.

Also I'm not looking for LSD nowadays because of straight line traction, or even for the gripping in the corners. It's just that when you're drifting, a car equipped with LSD will give you much more control. Same goes for burnouts, instead of spinning 1 wheel, you'll be spinning both.
Now I'm not someone who will be doing burnouts a lot, hell I might not even do it at all, but I did a bit of drifting in the snow with my w140, which was great fun. But I couldn't do that on a wet road, because of the diff and the intruding traction control (which cannot be turned off fully without taking the abs fuse out for example, which is downright moronic).
With the AMGs you can fully turn off the traction control (power won't be cut and the wheels won't be braked) and if it has an LSD, it would be easier to control.
Imagine it something like, if you have LSD, your car won't be twitching to oversteer, but it'd slowly transition into it, making it a lot smoother.

Anyway with that being said, I still haven't ruled out the S63 AMG despite it not having LSD, since like you mentioned if it came to that, I could always opt for an aftermarket one (although with extensive research before). For example another car I'm interested in is the 300C SRT8, which also doesn't come with an LSD, but it does have an aftermarket one, which was reported to be perfect, unless you're using a tuned car with drag slicks.

Also sorry for the long story, I just thought I'd show you some insight, why I was interested in the LSD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts