Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I bought an S600 from Copart 3 days ago. The forklift drive busted the oil pan so I ordered a new one will be here Monday along with the gasket, but he also pushed back the bottom of the radiator and the oil cooler I think? Can anyone tell me which ones these are that are dented I uploaded pictures and also I’m going to need a new fan because this one just goes back and forth. I want to know exactly what’s wrong before I take it to a mechanic.

Thanks in advance

·
W220 Moderator
5,516 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forum :)

Hope you got the Car really cheap, there is no such thing as a cheap Mercedes Benz 😉

Looks to me like you got your work cut out with this one .....................
Judging by the Sludge build up in that Sump, there is nothing like regular servicing, and that Car has had nothing like regular servicing :rolleyes:

I think you are correct, that looks like Oil Cooler, also looks to me like you would need the Fan,AC Rad and possibly Coolant Rad, fork lift driver is obviously Brain Dead :(

If I were you I'd find a complete with Fan Rad Pack from a Salvage Yard ;)

HTH,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Welcome to the forum :)

Hope you got the Car really cheap, there is no such thing as a cheap Mercedes Benz 😉

Looks to me like you got your work cut out with this one .....................
Judging by the Sludge build up in that Sump, there is nothing like regular servicing, and that Car has had nothing like regular servicing :rolleyes:

I think you are correct, that looks like Oil Cooler, also looks to me like you would need the Fan,AC Rad and possibly Coolant Rad, fork lift driver is obviously Brain Dead :(

If I were you I'd find a complete with Fan Rad Pack from a Salvage Yard ;)

HTH,
Paid 2400, does the fan rad pack have to be off a W220 s600 or can I use one from a 430 or 500 I live in Pittsburgh and we don’t see many s600’s around especially not at the salvage yard lol

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Front one's definitely the oil cooler. Also, the A/C condenser, and engine radiator are the ones that are bent. While you're at it, you might as well also do the intercooler radiator, since you're in there anyway; I would.

And then when you're done, give that forklift driver a good ol' fashioned Southern-style ass-whuppin'.

Is yours the naturally-aspirated V12 (M137) or the twin-turbo version (M275)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Front one's definitely the oil cooler. Also, the A/C condenser, and engine radiator are the ones that are bent. While you're at it, you might as well also do the intercooler radiator, since you're in there anyway; I would.

And then when you're done, give that forklift driver a good ol' fashioned Southern-style ass-whuppin'.

·
W220 Moderator
5,516 Posts
does the fan rad pack have to be off a W220 s600 or can I use one from a 430 or 500
Hi, You will need from same model S600, the V8 ones don't have the Oil Cooler, or an IC Rad, Cooling Fan is different wattage, and I'd imagine the Coolant Radiator may be different too.

@cowboyt looks like a TT to me, has the IC's and their Rad Cap at rear of Engine ;)

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Intercooler radiator? I can’t find that on google for sale anywhere ?

·
W220 Moderator
5,516 Posts
Intercooler radiator?
@cowboyt
Any chance of a piccie / part number ?

I'm not questioning ya, just I've never heard of IC having a Rad ....................

But as I've said before I don't see that many V12's in my Workshop, so I'm no V12 Expert ;)

I have never done a Rad Pack on V12's, did do a Water Pump a while ago on M137 CL ;)

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much of a difference do you guys think this fan would make instead of getting the 650$ oem is it worth paying the extra 400?

·
W220 Moderator
5,516 Posts
If it is Chinesium I wouldn't touch it with a Barge Pole ..................

A good used would be better than Chinese ;)

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
@cowboyt
Any chance of a piccie / part number ?

I'm not questioning ya, just I've never heard of IC having a Rad ....................

But as I've said before I don't see that many V12's in my Workshop, so I'm no V12 Expert ;)

I have never done a Rad Pack on V12's, did do a Water Pump a while ago on M137 CL ;)

Cheers Dave
Here's where I learned about this.

Apparently Welwynnick has done an upgrade on his W215 to the bigger intercooler radiator used on the 6.0L AMG engines. It appears that my car has a shorter version of that radiator, which should be fine for my kind of driving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now my head lights n tail lights aren’t turning off so I had to disconnect the battery any idea what can cause this ?

·
W220 Moderator
5,516 Posts
Hi,

@cowboyt ,

Aha, I'm with you it is an Air to Coolant Radiator for the IC Coolant, which is a totally separate system from the Engine Coolant ............. Every day is a School day ;)

BTW, how dare you direct me to "that" Forum :devilish: 😁

@_to ,

I think by the sound of it you seriously need to get SDS to restore this Car to it's former glory, don't get sucked in by the cheaper machines, they are definitely not sufficient to repair a lot of the complex Faults a W220 can throw at you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay the v12 is up and running new lower oil pan bought mb gasket maker (rtv stuff from Mercedes) flushed the coolant put oil in her. I bought a new radiator, ac condensor, and oil cooler I found a radiator fan used at a salvage yard. I’m taking it to the mechanics in 2 weeks to get everything put on and see what else she needs only parts I still need to buy are brakes and rotors from fcp euro and spark plugs

·
W220 Moderator
5,516 Posts
Nice one, good to see the progress resurrecting your V12 Car.

If I were you, once you have got it on the road I'd put about 1500 miles on and then Change that Oil and Filter, then say 3000 miles, do it one more time, and after that return to normal schedule, it will help to flush out some of that gunk due to lack of maintenance ;)
Consider doing Trans Fluid / Filter plus the Connector Bushing, Diff Oil, PAS Oil, and ABC Oil and Filter too, should give the Car a much needed bit of TLC ;)

HTH,

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
6 Participants
v12tt
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing