Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111/123/124/126/140/201
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,
I love the big body W140 very much and I have a 97 S500. I have found a 97 S600 for sales but I am a little worry about the maintain cost. The S500 gave me no big trouble during my ownership but I am sure S600 is a different story.

I have a question about the engine. As
the picture show, the front part of the engine is getting yellowish. I dont know why it will look like this and I also found some of the S500/600 have the similar yellow material on top of the front part of the engine.

I also know that the engine part number is changed after 1996, I know the front part of the M119 is different between 91-96 and 97-99. I am not sure what kind of changes has been done for the 97S600 and is there any where I can know for sure it is a updated engine with OBDII?

I am not staying in US so even the mileage is not trustful and it is hard to get maintanence records as only few ppl will willing to keep them.

Thank you for everything!

·
Registered
1995 S600 (sold)
1,127 Posts
1996 MB S600 US Model is OBDII. I don't know about overseas models. I have a 1995 S600, and it is OBD. You should have little trouble finding scanners for this car. I've read that the yellow color you see on the engine might be a preservative coating applied to the engine by the manufacturer for protection during overseas shipment. Maybe other Forum members can confirm this? The V12 is a different animal than the V8. But both are extremely good engines. You are blessed to have had no trouble with your 500. Many owners have had multiple issues with their vehicles, but I would say that most issues are not engine related. It's usually wiring, evaporator, vacuum pumps, window regulators, amplifier, etc. This goes for 500's and 600's because they share many of these items. If you're a medium to good mechanic with good trouble-shooting skills, you should be able to maintain the V12. This also keeps the maintenance costs way down, as you are buying the parts cheaper than list price and doing the labor yourself. If you need to bring the car to a dealer for maintenance, be prepared to spend a lot of money should something go wrong...and something will eventually go wrong.

·
Registered
111/123/124/126/140/201
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you pcmaher!!
I love the W140 and G-class a lot and I do want to keep a S600 as it is the flagship of MB. I would like to know what is the idle rpm of your car? I searched the forum that some said it is 350rpm. Is it true?

Also I am concern about the closing door assist. On my S500, the door sucks fine and I can hear a clear "pssss" sound after the door was closed. On the S600, the sound is a lot weaker. Is it mean the vacuum pump is going south?

Thank you

·
Registered
1995 S600 (sold)
1,127 Posts
Mine idled at 750 rpm before I rewired my Throttle Actuators and Mass Air Flow sensors. Now it idles around 600 rpm. I would be very surprised if an engine, even a V12, idled at 350 rpm.

I don't know about the pump sound. I haven't had to mess with that on my vehicle yet. Do the doors close OK? Do a search on this forum. There's lots of stuff on the close assist pumps. Try this thread for starters, it's written by one of the stars on this forum...

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1183478&posts=13&hl=assist

1 - 5 of 5 Posts