1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Could anyone tell me why i have no air intake on drivers side
of my 1993 s600. What i mean is when i put my hand over the air vents
and rev engine i can only feel suction draw on passenger, side nothing
on driver side.Etas have been checked by BBA REMAN and found ok.
Would it be mafs on driver side.
Opinions welcomed.

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG Kompressor
361 Posts
I would think engine wiring would be a good candidate. Have you checked error codes ?

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
That's a very bad way to check for air flow

run diags and see what the MAF for each bank tells you is going in the engine.

but if one side was blocked, you would know it from the way the car ran...

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes 600 SEL
14 Posts
600SEL mafs problems

Hi guys,
Just saw you were talking about air flow. When my 600sel works in neutral or parking (by that I mean normal rev), it fails, like having bad fuel. So I checked under the hood, and I found that the passenger side Air meter, doesnt have the sensor, the cable that should be conected to it, isnt there. I searched the sensor, and I found it under the plastic box on the side, and the plug is like a litlle burned, I think thats because they disconected it. I think thats the reasson it stinks fuel in the rear trough the exhaust. It also have an economy like about: 45l/100km, it sholud be for the air meter disconected, and the clock that sows the fuel economy is stucked in over 20. Any help, or suggestion on what to do?, where can I get the plug/cable, new or used.
Thanks a lot (sorry is it is booring, just tryingto be clear, and sorry for my writting mistakes as well).
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 S55 AMG Kompressor
361 Posts
The one advice I'll give you is to not drive your car one more meter before you have fixed this completely. You are overfueling one bank completely, in the best case your catalytic converter has already burned out ( otherwise it would be glowing red and a potential fire hazard), in the worst case you will ruin your engine (if not done already)

I would start to carefully expect the engine wiring harness, very likely it will be bad. That would be the first thing to replace. Inspect the wiring to the throttle actuators, another candidate for failure. You might need rebuild units (not cheap) or rewire yourself.

i would suggesr the to replace both MAF sensors to get a clean start. MB is selling a replacement connector kit for the MAF, get two and rewire both sides

As the car overfuleled so much, replace all spark plugs. Finally get a ode reader, clear all codes and see where you are after everyting listed has been replaced or repaired.

As mentioned before you also might need new catalytic converter(s)

My S600 is getting under 13 ltr/100 km. The repairs will likely be in execess of 1000 Eur and depending on the damage done and what you can do add up to 5000, with the risk that you discover a damaged engine.

It will depend on the overall condition of the car if it makes economic sense to fix it. I know of a case where a owner with an air leak on his V12 overfueled on bank and he ended up eith a new engine (20k)

good luck

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes 600 SEL
14 Posts
The one advice I'll give you is to not drive your car one more meter before you have fixed this completely. You are overfueling one bank completely, in the best case your catalytic converter has already burned out ( otherwise it would be glowing red and a potential fire hazard), in the worst case you will ruin your engine (if not done already)

I would start to carefully expect the engine wiring harness, very likely it will be bad. That would be the first thing to replace. Inspect the wiring to the throttle actuators, another candidate for failure. You might need rebuild units (not cheap) or rewire yourself.

i would suggesr the to replace both MAF sensors to get a clean start. MB is selling a replacement connector kit for the MAF, get two and rewire both sides

As the car overfuleled so much, replace all spark plugs. Finally get a ode reader, clear all codes and see where you are after everyting listed has been replaced or repaired.

As mentioned before you also might need new catalytic converter(s)

My S600 is getting under 13 ltr/100 km. The repairs will likely be in execess of 1000 Eur and depending on the damage done and what you can do add up to 5000, with the risk that you discover a damaged engine.

It will depend on the overall condition of the car if it makes economic sense to fix it. I know of a case where a owner with an air leak on his V12 overfueled on bank and he ended up eith a new engine (20k)

good luck

Thanks for the help, I am not driving the car, it is in storage till I find what to do, the wiring harness that goes in the center of the engine is good, the air meters are good, the only probleam is the "head" od the conector, it is not all burned, just like a little damaged in one side. The stinks gas, its just when the car is cold, then it stops. Today i will check the hole system with a friend of mine that specializes on that. Where can I buy those connector form MB you mentioned?. Tnaks you very much really.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1995 S500 coupe, 1990 Mazda Miata
694 Posts
According to EPC, the connector for the MAF should be part number A140 540 00 36. Left and right appear to be the same number.

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
mmmm 5 miles to the gallon.. that is scary.

20 l/100 is what id consider NORMAL for city on the 600/500.

well you know what the issue is, at least visually, as to why it is this way and who butchered it, is the uneasy part. keep us updated. im curious

1 - 8 of 8 Posts