Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a leak from the back of the engine and the oil leaks down both sides of the bellhousing, but being a 2001 V12, there isnt the most amount of room to see. I know these have problems with headgaskets etc, but i took off the engine covers, throttle butterfly and intake pipes off to find some more room. I came across engine breathers that were split and some were squashed so i thought id replace them first as it could cause the engine to breath very heavy. So after cleaning, gave it a good run, and put it back in the air, and still had fresh oil coming down the side of the bellhousing again! Any ideas?

·
Registered
181 Posts
got a leak from the back of the engine and the oil leaks down both sides of the bellhousing, but being a 2001 V12, there isnt the most amount of room to see. I know these have problems with headgaskets etc, but i took off the engine covers, throttle butterfly and intake pipes off to find some more room. I came across engine breathers that were split and some were squashed so i thought id replace them first as it could cause the engine to breath very heavy. So after cleaning, gave it a good run, and put it back in the air, and still had fresh oil coming down the side of the bellhousing again! Any ideas?
Rear Main Seal or the Oil Cooler. Most unpleasant and known problems. For the Oil Cooler I am pretty sure you have to remove the heads.

Could be The ABC hose which is under a recall. I would check that.

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
whoa buddy. I hope you have some reserve on your credit card. Needless to say that it won't be cheap for either rear main or cooler on S600. I think the book calls for 10 plus hours since exhaust and driveline need to be removed. They will charge you for all new exhaust hangars and hardware probabably $300 alone for that.

I'm sorry I'm not helping am I. Good luck maybe it's something simple... chuckle.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,889 Posts
Ummmm - in a thread where the last post prior to yours was 5 years ago, probably not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts