Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MB said they need to pull the engine and fix an oil leak? No oil on floor but you can smell it and see it burning off the engine while running.

Car is a 1999-2000 not sure?

Any service recalls on the engine or any problems one can inform me on.

5500.00 FIX

Mouse

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
66 Posts
S600 Oil Leak

I was just about ready to take my '01 S600 in for the same thing. It appears to be on the driver's side and seems to only hit the Y pipe when I'm going uphill. It also leaks when parked.
Where did they say your leak was coming from?

·
Registered
w220 S600 2001
14 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2001 600. It also cost about 5000 to fix and it took a few times for the dealership to get it right. Make sure to also have them wash out the wiring harness that is next to the leak. They should offer to replace it for $500, but if they just clean it you shouldn't have to replace it. Oh and to answer the other ?????? i think it was an oil preasure sensor on the top rear of the motor. From what i have heard, the 600 is pleagued with this problem.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
66 Posts
S600 Oil Leak

My '02 S600 with started this when it had 42,000 miles.
The leak was coming from the rear of the engine, above the transmision, and got progressively worse.
After a $700 try, I took it in again.
Just to see the leak, the intake had to come off.
As it turns out, the oil leak is coming from the oil cooler, which is not only under the intake manifold, but part of it is under the lip of each head!
So in order to pull the oil cooler both heads must come off!
What a CRAPPY DESIGN!
The car has 50,400 miles and this repair will cost about $4k.
So all in all, it will have cost $4,700 to address this problem.
Needless to say, I'm disappointed in MBZ

·
Registered
144 Posts
dreamlin is on the money. I love replacing v-12 oil coolers. And so is tooslow600, there is actually a service campaign on those oil pressure switches. Anyway... did I mention how much fun it is to replace v-12 oil coolers. Rear mains are fun too, I beleive there is a redisgned rear main end cover. I just slide the tranny back off the engine as far as it will go and do the rear main in the 2 inch space I make. That way I dont have to spend an hour trying to get the exhaust manifold bolts out and then back in. Toot toot...

·
Registered
what ever I need
16 Posts
Flapper1 Is Right, The Oil Intercooler Is The Culprit But The Main Cause Of The Return Visits Is Because The Techs Dont Pull The Trans Back And Clean Out All The Oil From The Bell Housing And Openings In The Trans Housing.
Mecedes Used To Pay About 54 Hours Warrenty Time To Do The Job Correctly. I.e Heads Of Manifolds, And Trans Out, Replace Relevent Parts And Clean Up. Now They Want To Pay About 18 Hours. Guess What You Get. Pay Someone Once A Few Hundred Bucks Once A Year To Clean Under The Car And Around The Trans, Then Sell It.
Or Pay Up, But Beware!! The New Ones Leak As Well!!

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
66 Posts
s600 oil leak

Generally is the oil cooler bad (leaking or warped) or is it gaskets and O rings that are the culprit?
Also, is this so common that MBZ might help out on the bill ?
I actually don't see an oil presure sensor back there behind the intake above the tranny - I think there's a crank sensor there, though.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
97 S500 coupe Black, 02 bronz ML 320
29 Posts
s600

I was thinking of buying an s600 coupe but you guys are scaring me!!
anything else I shouild look for before buying ??

·
Registered
97 S500 coupe Black, 02 bronz ML 320
29 Posts
s600

:crybaby2: I was thinking of buying an s600 coupe but you guys are scaring me!!
anything else I shouild look for before buying ??

·
Registered
4 Posts
So to the people that know or have done this. My car is also leaking oil and they did say oil cooler. They don't know if it's the gasket or the cooler itself. The bill is estimated at about $4K also. So is it worth doing this. Somebody said once this is done, it will leak again.

·
Registered
1993 400 SEL
68 Posts
today i actually had an s600 come into the shop with a sick leak comin from the top of the transmission as i inspected further i found it was leaking from beneath the intake manifold but to fix this leak u gotta pull both heads out

·
Premium Member
2003 S55, 2004 SL55
138 Posts
Yes. there sure is: A 2003 or later 55 coupe. The V-8 is much easier to service and has has a supercharger rather than twin turbos. I looked into both the 600 and 55's and when I saw the difference in the extended warranty costs for them, the choice was easy. Mercury won't write and extended warranty on a 600. The 4 additional cylinders and the twin turbos take a lot of room.

·
Registered
1 Posts
S 600 Oil Cooloer Leak

I too have this problem with my 2001 S600 at 75k miles. Dealer says small leak that recently became a big leak is oil cooler. I'm in the San Francisco East Bay area. Can anyone recommend a good and reasonable repair ship where I can have this fixed for less $$ than the MB dealers?

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
well speaking from experience, I have a 2002 s600 that I had to pull the intake off yesterday to determine the oil leak. basically it is coming from a plate that sits under the manifold. the heads have to come off to resealor replace the plate. bad design if you ask me. just waiting on authorization to replace it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, have S600 2001 50,000miles, just had oil cooler replaced, also plugs and one coil pack, was ok for a couple of days now check engine light is coming on, car is running rough and using more petrol. mechanic has checked found oil on plugs and says oil is coming from cylinder head valves or piston ring. Can anyone advise me please

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
66 Posts
In order to replace the oil cooler, the intake and heads have to come off (I know it sound crazy, it must have been the senior engine designer's day off - rookie designer!).
It sounds like there was a problem when the oil cooler, heads or intake were reinstalled and it's sucking oil.
It would be REALLY NICE if Mercedes would come up with a permanent solution so we don't have to pull the heads off every 50,000 miles - it's the least they could do.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for reply. when took car back to garage DAS showed cylinders 8 & 11 werent firing so mechanic removed R/H air intake pipe that goes onto inlet manifold (large black pipe from air intake to manifold) to get to plugs and i could see oil in the air intake pipe, could this be an indication that its sucking oil into engine.also the large circular clips that hold on this pipe were not replaced after fitting new oil cooler and plugs.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI
66 Posts
The number of places oil can be sucked in are numorous. What I meant was the the oil on the plugs might possibly be coming from oil being sucked through a poorly fitted head/head gasket or intake/intake gasket, since those were just off the engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks dreamline, i told garage owner what you said but hes not convinced that oil can be sucked into the sparkplugs like that, then i spoke to the technician who actually replaced oil cooler who said there is a breather near oil cooler that had sucked a lot of oil up around the inlet manifold and that he tryed but couldnt clean all the oil out when replaced oil cooler.
Do you know about this breather valve and could this be reason for oil on plugs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts