Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 S600 V12 purchased from its one previous owner from new. Full and immaculate service history. 56000 miles. I left it to an approved mercedes dealer to check an oil leak and have been told that the breather system is clogged and that the only cure is a new engine. Can this be correct and should not Mercedes take responsibility for their prestige engine requiring replacement after such modest use?

·
It was fun while it lasted
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,146 Posts
I have a 2002 S600 V12 purchased from its one previous owner from new. Full and immaculate service history. 56000 miles. I left it to an approved mercedes dealer to check an oil leak and have been told that the breather system is clogged and that the only cure is a new engine. Can this be correct and should not Mercedes take responsibility for their prestige engine requiring replacement after such modest use?
That doesn't make sense. I do know that the V12's have cooling problems and some earlier models experienced 'twisted' cranks.

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
You should not have purchased the car in the first place. A V12 in a first generation W220 is just asking for trouble. I don't know if you could have picked a worse car. Sell it now while you are ahead.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I think you need a 2nd opinion for your problem. I seriously doubt that you need a new engine, or that Daimler will offer much help, but it never hurts to ask. I would either find another dealer or ask around in your area about any independent shops with MB experience. Quite a few of those indys are owned/run by former MB-trained technicians.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts