Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2003 S600 V12TT and never having driven or owned one of these before I would like to just ask what temps other owners see on your dash gauge? I will get a photo of mine - I would estimate off the top of my head it reads about 90c or just over. Doesnt seem to move when driving or stationary and the cooling fan is working fine. Opening the bonnet the car has alot of heat coming out. Again - perhpas totally normal on a TT V12. Compared to any other benzes I have it is hotter for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That running temp seems right. My needle move up and down a bit actually. And the front end of the car will still be quite warm hours after I’ve driven it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yes, 90-95 on the dial, and if your cooling system is working right it even stays there on super hot days. Mine may creep up a little bit if stuck in stop N go traffic, but never much, only a few degrees.. My M275 is in an R230, sadly my W220 only has a V8! (crocodile tears) I got all new coolant hoses six months ago and new coolant of course. Definitely keep your antifreeze/coolant new every other year.. You do NOT ever want to overheat a V12. They do make a lot of heat... BTW, have you ever looked at the thermostat for these V12s? There is one that's like, $350.00 I hope I never need to replace that! Being a bit of an overkill maintenance nut, I bought a new radiator when I bought my R230, just in case I ever need one! Two years later it's still new in the box in the garage. I've got to stop doing that...

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK that's good that 95 is the normal running temp on these! That's right where it sits all the time. Between 90 and 95 fluctuating slightly in stop & go traffic.

Yes, 90-95 on the dial, and if your cooling system is working right it even stays there on super hot days. Mine may creep up a little bit if stuck in stop N go traffic, but never much, only a few degrees.. My M275 is in an R230, sadly my W220 only has a V8! (crocodile tears) I got all new coolant hoses six months ago and new coolant of course. Definitely keep your antifreeze/coolant new every other year.. You do NOT ever want to overheat a V12. They do make a lot of heat... BTW, have you ever looked at the thermostat for these V12s? There is one that's like, $350.00 I hope I never need to replace that! Being a bit of an overkill maintenance nut, I bought a new radiator when I bought my R230, just in case I ever need one! Two years later it's still new in the box in the garage. I've got to stop doing that...
The good thing is the Thermostat appears very healthy. Usually tired thermostats will make the car run cooler than normal and slow to get up to running temperature. But this car gets up to temperature very quicky and stays at the 90 - 95 range never dipping below so no issues there.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Depends on what type of driving I happen to be doing at that moment. If I'm in stop-and-go traffic on a hot day, it's usually about 95 deg. C; I've never seen mine go higher than that. If I'm going to work and back, where the driving pattern is variable, it'll go between about 85 and 95 C. If I'm doing straight highway cruising, it stays right at 80 deg. C.

By the way, this is the same behaviour that I see on our V8's.

·
Registered
207 Posts
These engines warm up quickly and cool down very slowly indeed.

Temperature does vary a surprising amount when driving. Can drop to 85 on a very long steady cruise, but that's not often.

Nick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts