Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy my first Benz. I recently purchased a R350 for Christmas for my wife. I am convinced!!!!! I would like some of my Benz family's opinion when it comes to the CL or the S. I like both, but I am a little confused to which one I would enjoy more. Any suggestions??????

Young M

·
Registered
S500/W220/2000
21,652 Posts
The answer probably depends much more on you than on what we might say. They are virtually identical cars except for their bodies. Think of it a little bit like you might think about a woman and what suits your personal tastes and lifestyle plans. Do you want a sleek and sophisticated and mature woman that you can take to the opera or would it make more sense to have a sexy young thing that you could take to sporting events? They both perform equally well in bed, but which one would you be more comfortable w/ in public. How do you see yourself?

Welcome a-board!! Let us know what you do.

·
Registered
ML500/S550/M5
325 Posts
right, like he said, it may depend on lifestyle. if your wife has an R-Class, I'm guessing you have family, kids, etc? With a CL you're getting a 4-seater, with the S a full five seater. Although if you really needed to go somewhere as a family, I guess that's what the R-Class is for?

If it'll just be you in the car, or maybe you + 1 most of the time, I'd go for the CL. The two cars are basically identical minus aesthetic styling. The CL may feel more personal and more sporty as the 2-door coupe psychologically will give you that image. Both cars with the AMG package are really aggressive (the CL a little more so IMO). Keeping price in mind, the CL is more expensive.

In Northern VA / Washington DC the CL is a much more rare car than the S-Class, even when considering the older model. I see W220 and W221 S-Classes all over town, but the CL is more rare, new or old. If exclusivity is a factor, go for the CL.

the S-class is a bit heavier and longer than the CL, and the S550 is available with 4MATIC transmission if that's of any concern to you or not while the CL is not.

·
Registered
07' S550 AMG
19 Posts
i had same argument rather i should get CL550 or S550. I like S class way better than CL. Its bigger and for me S has more Mercedes look to it. I like the way the tail lights and head lamp on S compare to the CL. But, its up to you. I don't have family or kids but i still went for the S. CL is more new and rare....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Mercedes S-Class (W221) AMG
7 Posts
The W221 S-Class has no similarities with any other car in production as we speak. It is in a word genuine and that is what you pay for. The CL headlight design idea came from rotating the S-Class front light 180 degrees. The back tailights share some similarities with other cars and the interior trim is nothing but version B of the S-Class.

As for sports experience, the CL is anything but sport in nature. It is a cut out S with a lower roof. I didn't say this, it is local Mercedes dealers managers sayings it and I came into the same conclusion once a friend asked me to drive one. The Porsche Boxter had a better sports feeling than the CL. The CL is best at heart as a touring coupe and a magnificant one at it.

Get the aggressive look of the CL by getting the S-Class with the following:
AMG body package, AMG 20" wheels, CL-Class sports front grill and a rear spoiler while having the space and easy access of a four door which suits you and friends on a touring day or spending a weekend with the family and you will still have the feeling of a CL. Drive both at equally equipped options and you will conclude the same thing.

It is just my opinion and there is no wrong choice as long as you like it.

·
Registered
E320 CDI 2006
68 Posts
Jayhawk said:
The answer probably depends much more on you than on what we might say. They are virtually identical cars except for their bodies. Think of it a little bit like you might think about a woman and what suits your personal tastes and lifestyle plans. Do you want a sleek and sophisticated and mature woman that you can take to the opera or would it make more sense to have a sexy young thing that you could take to sporting events? They both perform equally well in bed, but which one would you be more comfortable w/ in public. How do you see yourself?

Man that was a great way to put it. Im 43 years old, I would go with the S-Class

·
Registered
2007 SLK55 AMG Iridium Silver
246 Posts
unless you are going for the AMG version of the CL, i'd say stick to the S class. The S-class is the best looking luxury sedan available in the $100k- range. i love the styling of the new S-class.

·
Registered
2014 CLS63S SB
1,159 Posts
matrik72 said:
i had same argument rather i should get CL550 or S550. I like S class way better than CL. Its bigger and for me S has more Mercedes look to it. I like the way the tail lights and head lamp on S compare to the CL. But, its up to you. I don't have family or kids but i still went for the S. CL is more new and rare....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Oh, I kinda thought that the CL was fantastic. Depends whether you want practicality or not. Look at the C126, (IMHO one of the best looking coupes anybody ever did), from the front and side the latest CL just looks like a natural evolution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2007 S550 Help

Fellows/Gals

I'm about to purchase a 2007 or 2008 550.

I live in PA. Should I buy the 4matic or stick with rear wheel drive? I have a pickup truck to beat around for grunt activities. Will resale value be bolstered by 4matic in the northeast?

Also, which color combos creates the "WOW" look.
I'm an old black on black guy. But, I've seen a barolo red exterior in the catalogue. Silver looks nice too.

What creates the "WOW" color combo look from your eyes??

·
Registered
Black 560 SEC AMG, White 560 SEC Carat (RIP 09) , 300E
1,296 Posts
blakc on black's too common these days...i really like this color...like a gun metallic grey...

·
Registered
My Two Left Feet
3,183 Posts
Jayhawk said:

LOLOLOLOLOL, so I am not the only one who thinks of a nice car like a nice lady....LOLOLOL....I love the comparison, but I must say they dont both perform the same in bed, its up to the driver, and depending on the make and model, first come first served :thumbsup: , thats my opinion.....lolololololol

Also lemme ad to this, I was told that the CL was built on the E class drive train, yup, he was a VP for MB and told me that they both share the same chasis. I was suprised but after thinking hard and talking with him its true thats why the roof line is thinner, so if it was me I would do the S class even though I love the CL and truely enjoy my E. I dont think the interior oppointments and as lush in CL compared to a S

·
Registered
91 Posts
ygmillionaire said:
I am looking to buy my first Benz. I recently purchased a R350 for Christmas for my wife. I am convinced!!!!! I would like some of my Benz family's opinion when it comes to the CL or the S. I like both, but I am a little confused to which one I would enjoy more. Any suggestions??????

Young M
Depends on if you have kids. The S-Class is a family car. The CL is a "Gentleman's Express".

·
Registered
2007 S550 4MATIC, 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S cabriolet
43 Posts
Replying to DrPartagas-I got the 2007 S550 4MATIC in late winter and drove it in an ice storm with the stock tires (was hoping for no more snow so I wouldn't have to put snow tires on it until next winter.) Even with stock all-season tires the handling was fantastic. Even if you only need the 4-wheel drive a few times a year I think it is worthwhile to get.

·
Registered
2007 S550 4MATIC, 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S cabriolet
43 Posts
...oh, and as for color I got black on black and love it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd get the CL. The interior is more luxurious. Nearly identical, but more wood on the dash/radio control area, makes a huge difference upon entry in my opinion. The S class cheaped out on that point.

You already have a family car. Get a car that's for yourself. S is too commonplace, a CL is what you're looking for if you want to treat yourself to something special.

Plus girls love coupes (but I guess you're already married) ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
As for snow. With a decent set of winter tires a RWD car will walk the SUVs (Most SUV owners have the crappy factory tires on anyways.) and FWDs. I actually prefer RWD in snow. Always have, always will.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to take issue with Shybydesign, and say that the CL is not based on the chassis of the E class. I think maybe he or his Mercedes VP buddy got the wrong end of the stick at some point; it is the CLS which is based on the E.

Hope this clears that up for you.

A

PS. Almost too close to call, but I'd take the CL if space is no issue. It's so understated and gives off such a high-class vibe, even more so than Bentley's CGT which in the UK tends to be driven by footballers...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts