Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, today I tried starting the 2007 S550 and it won't start. Car has about 48k miles on it.
I looked in the owners manual to see what the lights meant but found nothing that had exactly what I was looking at on the dash. Hopefully you all can help me. I don't know the exact names of each light so I described it as well as I could. Thanks in advance

The following lights were on:

Park - yellow
Brake - Red
ABS - yellow
Exclamation mark in a triangle - yellow
picture of a car in a triangle - Red
Check engine light - yellow

Also, car is a 2007 but the build date says 11/06 so am I out of warranty? (@48k miles)

·
Registered
ML320, ML500, S550V4, ML550
423 Posts
Did you know there are two batteries? One for cranking the starter and one for accessories and everything else.

If the engine did not turn over, points to battery.
If the engine did turn over, points to fuel system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I did NOT know that. Sounds like a very possible contender here because when I tried to start it the car wouldn't even start to turn over.

To jump the starter is there a different place to hook up the positive and negative terminals?

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
No I did NOT know that. Sounds like a very possible contender here because when I tried to start it the car wouldn't even start to turn over.

To jump the starter is there a different place to hook up the positive and negative terminals?
Yes, there is a different place for the positive cable from that of the negative one. ;) Sorry, could not resist, seriously the starter battery is easy to reach and you can jump start directly from the battery poles.

I don't think mine at least even has any ground pole. For the rear battery there is a positive pole (under a small plastic cover) but you should not use that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, there is a different place for the positive cable from that of the negative one. ;) Sorry, could not resist, seriously the starter battery is easy to reach and you can jump start directly from the battery poles.

I don't think mine at least even has any ground pole. For the rear battery there is a positive pole (under a small plastic cover) but you should not use that.
:rotfl:

Ahh thank you. I assumed both batteries were in the engine bay.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
I assumed both batteries were in the engine bay.
One of those things that the is so obvious if you know it but if you don't know, then it isn't obvious at all. We should have explained that as the first thing.

Even the fact that the car has two batteries is not that obvious because not all W/V221 cars have two. They dropped the second battery from most facelift W221 cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As predicted was just the starter battery. Roadside assistance jumped it - died later, so they just finished replacing it under warranty.

Thanks for all the input everyone

1 - 7 of 7 Posts