Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S550 4-Matic
3 Posts
Not sure, but I think the camshaft position sensor problem was the result of a design defect relatively early on in the first model year. I've had no problems once all the originals were replaced. Fortunately my VIN was not among the vehicles prone to the potentially catastrophic timing chain sprocket failure.

Shortly after I bought the car (73,088 mi.), I got a check engine light. The dealership said I hadn't put the gas cap on correctly. (duh!) I picked the car up & the check engine light came on within 1/4 mile. Dealership replaced the sensor. That's one reason I use an indie Benz mechanic for almost all my repairs and maintenance.
I replaced only one of the sensors. The others had been replaced by the prior owner.

·
Registered
95 S600
926 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread it definitely makes me feel better about considering to buy a high mileage w221

I'm currently looking for a well maintained early w221 s550 4matic for under 12k. Or a 2010-11 for slightly more. Given the price range I'm shopping, almost all of the cars have over 110k miles on them. I'm just waiting for a car that had previious owners that maintained the car. I have a MB SDS and very mechanically inclined (currently bringing a w140 s600 back from the dead) so I'm not at entirely afraid of them but I'd like to make a good buy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello, mb lovers and experts! my mb s550 2008 is reaching 135k miles and i would definitely like to keep my toy and to know which repair shop is the best to go to, as i don't have the extended warranty. it starts breaking down from the normal wear, such as timing chain, camshaft, etc. it is scary when i hear the metal grinding noise aroudn the engine area every time i turn on the cold engine in the morning and the squeaky front end noise from the underneath. i would greatly appreciate if if you share the information about finding a perfect MECHANIC SHOP for mercedes s series. i don't trust the dealers any more. they did something majoy wrong last time.

·
Registered
2007 S550
137 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread it definitely makes me feel better about considering to buy a high mileage w221

I'm currently looking for a well maintained early w221 s550 4matic for under 12k. Or a 2010-11 for slightly more. Given the price range I'm shopping, almost all of the cars have over 110k miles on them. I'm just waiting for a car that had previious owners that maintained the car. I have a MB SDS and very mechanically inclined (currently bringing a w140 s600 back from the dead) so I'm not at entirely afraid of them but I'd like to make a good buy.
I purchased one that was well maintained 2.5 years ago that had 184K miles and currently has 205K miles. It's still a great car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All together was about $2400. I had purchased a USAA extended warranty earlier this year and they paid everything, no deductible.

jw
Hey bud,

What kind of extended warranty did you get through USAA? I am a military member also. I have 130,000 on my '07 S550.

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,942 Posts
Hey bud,

What kind of extended warranty did you get through USAA? I am a military member also. I have 130,000 on my '07 S550.
Last we saw jwxspoon was 2014, so you might not get a reply. I have USAA also (military family), always have found their customer service to be tops. You might just give them a call?

Thanks for your service jfulton!

101 - 109 of 109 Posts