Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
All these posts have merit. Just a few things to note: any luxury car is going to cost a pretty penny to maintain or repair it's the cost of driving a more exclusive car. Number two, a well maintained car is generally going to give you a better experience than one less maintained, and general maintenance is a MUST. No crying if you don't. Third, for those of us who bought used or CPO, best that can be done is homework on service. If the service is done, the better off you will be, period. In those cases, then how was the car afterwards? If the performance was maintained or improved, good car. If degraded, then bad cat or bad repairs somewhere along the line. Last, expectations are different. You cannot get a used vehicle and expect new car life or performance unless you put the work (and yes, the money) in. My expectations were to get a car with decent to upper mileage, good service and save money while driving in comfort and prestige. I have no issues with proper care and maintenance, and even the repairs. A luxury car is going to run you $1500.00 -. $2500.00 per year to run and maintain. Yes, a good warranty will offset big dollar repairs, but if you aren't willing to do that, get a Honda and keep it moving. If you have a great car and drive low miles, you're in heaven. And last but not least, if you're reading this, you bought a Benz, so enjoy it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Agreed. Any car has to be maintained and some money thrown into it. How much is of course relative to budget and other factors. How much is TOO MUCH? How much is average? How long are you trying to keep the car for? What condition was or is it in? Has it been serviced properly? Had it needed repairs under your watch? And let's not forget a critical factor: if you have made repairs other than normal maintenance, then those repairs should hold and keep that repair from happening again, so in my opinion it isn't just throwing money at the car but actually maintaining its life and longevity. Some owners don't mind that, as opposed to the purchase of a brand new car, some do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2007 with 133,000 miles. I bought it in 2012 with about 73,000 miles. It had been ridden hard, had been in an accident (sloppy repair) and was poorly maintained. I have brought it back to top condition with only one mod (Mid City Engineering back upcamera) For a pretty consistent $250/month in typical W221 repairs plus ordinary maintenance including tires, brakes and oil changes I am able to drive a beautiful, reliable old chariot. I hope to keep it until about 2023 or 2024 when I can get a used W223. I test drove a 2017 because of the 9-Gtronic transmission, but the W222 wow factor over the W221 was not enough to spend the money. I don't drive many miles per year, and my trips are normally under about 400 miles, so the Benz is just an enjoyable personal extravagance. To lower cost I use a good indie MB mechanic. I have owned Cadillacs, Lincolns, Chryslers, Dodges, Chevrolets and Toyotas, and my S550 provides the most fun.
Yours is the route I try to go. I have an '07 S550, well maintained at dealerships full service and records. Nothing out of the ordinary as far as repairs. 114K miles. Running smoothly. I don't complain about the costs as opposed to other vehicles because it is a luxury car. Things are more expensive, period. As long as they don't get chronic at this point. My wife drives a BMW 330 X Drive, and my previous cars include a 740i, and 750il when they were the 12 cylinder. I respect each of them for the car they are and admit the Bimmers are more road feel driver cars, but I like the Benz more overall. There are days when I feel more like touring and the feeling that the Benz provides. The Bimmers are for when I feel like I keep both hands on the wheel driving, the Benz for feeling like I'm still at home relaxing but have somewhere to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
+1 on the three posts preceding.

Agreed, Skylaw. To me, there's a reason a person drives a luxury or performance vehicle. Personal preference. And if one drives first class, there is a price to pay, whether in fuel, maintenance, insurance, etc. And if that cost is within your range, go for it. I have a preference for used luxury. It allows me to drive a $100K vehicle for less and I know that I will have to spend to bring that car up to specs, but not nearly as much as purchased or leased brand new. Let's take my car. You can purchase a decent to well maintained S550 from say, $12K - $16K, give or take. Add $2500 - $3500 to get it fully up to speed, and less if you find one that has been maintained well, or CPO and you have invested about $15 -20K to drive a car that retailed at about $100K with options. Not a bad deal at all. From that point, the car is going to run you normal and average costs for a luxury vehicle. That math works for me to own outright and drive a car that I enjoy.

·
Registered
2007 S550
1,165 Posts
Great thread, it's nice to see the responsible ownership addressed as it pertains greatly to maintaining value in these vehicles. I bought my first benz back in 94, it was a 81 240D that had been well maintained with 165,000 on the clock. I drove it for 9 years and passed it down to my daughter when she turned 16. She had her first wreck in that car, pulled out in front of a brand new Pontiac GTO, they hit corner to corner and it totalled both cars, my daughter was fine, no glass was broken. I bought the car back form the insurance company and bought a whole front clip from a scrap yard in Texas. Took the frame into a frame shop and had it laser adjusted, the car was in remarkable shape, the "crumple zones" they place on the inside edge of the front rails weren't distorted or flexed at all, it was really a very minor adjustment, they "only" charged me 200 bucks. I did the rest of the body work at a friends shop then had a good painter finish the job, she was beautiful and I gave it back to my daughter who drove it till 2012 when she was T-boned pulling into a restaurant destroying the car ultimately. I had the car taken back to my house so I could scrap it out. By this time I also had a 83 300TD and a 95 E300D so I thought I could get some last bit of value off the car. It sat in my back yard for several years after I had removed all the chrome and interior till it was time to send it to the crusher. I put a battery in it, turned the key, glow plug light lit, bumped the starter and she kicked right over ... it just tore my heart out. I had tried to move the motor for years to no success, .... it had over 250,000 miles but she never died.

With all that said, I know a bit about proper maintenance and the value of used car ownership pertaining to Mercedes. All my past purchases were bought at about 15 - 20% of new cost with consideration for mileage and how it was accumulated. I just recently found a S550 with 159,000 miles that a friend decided to sell. He bought the car from a corporation in Minnesota that has a 6 car fleet of S550's, when they clock 150,000 they list it for dale. All records well maintained, beautiful car, only issue it has is peeling clear coat on bumpers that also was adjusted in the price. This car is a dream to drive, it's stiffer frame and steering is reminiscent of my 95 but it's really not a proper comparison. The balance of elegant touring coupled with 383 HP is simple amazing. You don't hear the power it's just there when you need it. All the controls and buttons had my head spinning for the fist few days but now as I'm getting pretty proficient the car is even more remarkable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Some folks forget that when maintained, you are rebuilding and reconstructing the car, so it should continue to function until or unless accident or catastrophic failure. I don't knock folks who aren't high mileage drivers, but don't hate on those who are. If maintained it isn't a problem seeing higher miles.

·
Registered
54 Posts
07 S550 -

I might need a trans fluid flush but I am bit concerned to do it at this point due to the mileage.

My books shows previous owner had the fluid changed at $60k after upgrading the conductor plate while in warranty.
Regarding the high-mileage transmission flush myth:

• If your transmission is OK then a COMPLETE transmission fluid change with filter is in order to keep it in optimal condition.

• If your transmission is BADLY WORN a.k.a. SHOT, and the fluid is circulating enough suspended friction material to keep it from noticeably slipping, then changing the fluid will remove what little friction material there is and it may start to slip at that point.

But be clear that simply changing the fluid is NOT going to shorten it's life or otherwise damage it. If it's near death, the change may only serve to underscore its condition. However, not servicing the transmission will only serve to hasten it's death.

That said, Mercedes-Benz recommends scheduled transmission service every 70,000 miles.

When you do service your transmission, do it COMPLETELY if you want to avoid the monstrous repair bill...after removing the pan and draining the fluid, change the filter, and replace the gasket and reattach the pan. Then, remove the torque converter access panel (plastic) and rotate the crank until the torque converter drain plug is at the bottom and visible. Remove the plug and drain the converter completely. Then restore fluid. Otherwise, you are only changing about 1/3 of the fluid...which is akin to changing 1/3 of your motor oil. If you're taking your car to the shop to have the transmission service completely, SPECIFY that you want the TC drained in WRITING. Sure, it'll cost about $100-$150 more, but it's worth the peace of mind and preservation of your transmission. If that shop says they don't do that or are unfamiliar with how to do that, etc., GO TO ANOTHER SHOP!

We are a limousine company. We run our S-Classes to at least 300,000-miles before retiring them...and we retire them only because customer's demand a late-model body. These cars will go on for hundreds of thousands of miles IF properly maintained. We have two 500-KM badges.

·
Registered
87 SDL, 75 300D, 12 S350
11 Posts
Great thread, it's nice to see the responsible ownership addressed as it pertains greatly to maintaining value in these vehicles. I bought my first benz back in 94, it was a 81 240D that had been well maintained with 165,000 on the clock. I drove it for 9 years and passed it down to my daughter when she turned 16. She had her first wreck in that car, pulled out in front of a brand new Pontiac GTO, they hit corner to corner and it totalled both cars, my daughter was fine, no glass was broken. I bought the car back form the insurance company and bought a whole front clip from a scrap yard in Texas. Took the frame into a frame shop and had it laser adjusted, the car was in remarkable shape, the "crumple zones" they place on the inside edge of the front rails weren't distorted or flexed at all, it was really a very minor adjustment, they "only" charged me 200 bucks. I did the rest of the body work at a friends shop then had a good painter finish the job, she was beautiful and I gave it back to my daughter who drove it till 2012 when she was T-boned pulling into a restaurant destroying the car ultimately. I had the car taken back to my house so I could scrap it out. By this time I also had a 83 300TD and a 95 E300D so I thought I could get some last bit of value off the car. It sat in my back yard for several years after I had removed all the chrome and interior till it was time to send it to the crusher. I put a battery in it, turned the key, glow plug light lit, bumped the starter and she kicked right over ... it just tore my heart out. I had tried to move the motor for years to no success, .... it had over 250,000 miles but she never died.

With all that said, I know a bit about proper maintenance and the value of used car ownership pertaining to Mercedes. All my past purchases were bought at about 15 - 20% of new cost with consideration for mileage and how it was accumulated. I just recently found a S550 with 159,000 miles that a friend decided to sell. He bought the car from a corporation in Minnesota that has a 6 car fleet of S550's, when they clock 150,000 they list it for dale. All records well maintained, beautiful car, only issue it has is peeling clear coat on bumpers that also was adjusted in the price. This car is a dream to drive, it's stiffer frame and steering is reminiscent of my 95 but it's really not a proper comparison. The balance of elegant touring coupled with 383 HP is simple amazing. You don't hear the power it's just there when you need it. All the controls and buttons had my head spinning for the fist few days but now as I'm getting pretty proficient the car is even more remarkable.
Cool story. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 S550 Thing of Selling

I have a Mint Condition 2007 S550 Mercedes with around 95,000 miles.I completely replaced all front end steering parts upper and lower control arms and new Front Struts ,re center the drive shaft,which was on center.new drive shaft bearing center and boot.Also replaced front and rear wheel bearing,hub and bearing assy. I did all this even tho it did not need it,just to keep it like new.How much do you think i should sell it for [email protected]

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,199 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I suggest that you go to websites such as KBB, Autotrader, etc., enter the data for your car (including location), and look at the private sale result. The fact that you did all of that work will help sell the car a little faster, and might tip the price toward the upper end of the ranges that will be shown, but it will not significantly increase the price. Also, despite being in "mint condition," most 11 year old pre-owned cars will not be treated as better than "good" or often "fair" in the used car market, and prices will vary by location. You did not tell us where you are located, so we cannot do it for you.

Just a hint: To preserve your privacy, you might want to edit your post and delete your personal email. You can set your email preferences in your User Control Panel (User CP in the gray bar at the top of the page), and preserve your privacy but still allow communication. Listing your email here doesn't violate any rules; this is for your own protection. If you experience any difficulty doing the edit, click on my green screen name, send me a private message (from the drop-down menu) and I will do it for you.

·
Registered
85 300SL Euro,97 SL320,95 S420,07 S550
1,600 Posts
I have a airport transportation business and my 2007 S550 I bought in 2012 with 43000 miles I have now 336 000 Miles .the car runs perfect and looks great not only outside but also inside what is amazing and shows the quality from Mercedes on the interial .
On major repairs I had the Transmission replaced with a rebuild one by 250 000 miles ,otherwise just upkeep work like Struts front ,starter and radiator just now.
Still the original alternator and water pump .
I do all the required services ,tires after seeing 22000 miles on Micheline ZI switched to General tires the are $ 700.00 for a set {staggered}and last 45000 Miles

Keep in mind there is no city driving just high way miles and Florida car

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,199 Posts
Pretty amazing, ulflei - thanks for letting us know!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking at a 2 owner 2007 S550 RWD that is in mint condition with no accidents and 90K on the clock, how do I find out if this has the dreaded M327 gear in it?

The dealership is a MB and they're asking 11K for it but I know what they have in it and most likely can get it for just over 9, the thing that worries me the most is that timing chain gear, everything else, air struts, etc I can DIY but no way I'm doing that gear!

Thanks in advance for the help and input!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking at a 2 owner 2007 S550 RWD that is in mint condition with no accidents and 90K on the clock, how do I find out if this has the dreaded M327 gear in it?

The dealership is a MB and they're asking 11K for it but I know what they have in it and most likely can get it for just over 9, the thing that worries me the most is that timing chain gear, everything else, air struts, etc I can DIY but no way I'm doing that gear!

Thanks in advance for the help and input!
Engine serial 27396130130791

Trans 72290401105025

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
2,269 Posts
Mercedes-Benz with the improved parts have engine serial numbers that are higher than:

M273 Engine Serial No. 2739..30 088611

Mercedes Medic VIN check for M272 M273

It looks like the one in question is outside the troubled range since 30 130791 is higher than 30 088611.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,199 Posts
warezdog, welcome to the forum! In the blue-backgrounded area at the top of the first forum page there are four "stickies" called DIY & FAQ that more or less constitute our W221 encyclopedia. You will find the link that dlafever provided in the "Engine" section. Looking through the DIY & FAQs section will often save you time if you encounter problems or have questions.

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
2,269 Posts
This is a great list! Thanks for sharing. :) Honestly I love my 150k S550, just great to drive every day.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,199 Posts
Indeed, a great list rebrown45; amazing number of camshaft position sensor replacements.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts