Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2012 S550 Bi-Turbo 4Matic
303 Posts
I think the dealer advertises it to show longevity and that these cars can do high mileage, not to make a profit.
And whoever buys it, can use the body and swap the engine and tranny.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think the dealer advertises it to show longevity and that these cars can do high mileage, not to make a profit.
And whoever buys it, can use the body and swap the engine and tranny.

I would like to know how many owners this car has had. An S-Class W221 with such high mileage wouldn't be a good proposition for anyone. Unless someone was buying it for only a Nickel.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a 2012 S550 4Matic with 106,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Which, of course, is different to owning one, that's 10 years old, with the same mileage. Never mind one, that's 9 years old, with 238,000 miles ❗

I wouldn't have it, unless it was given to me for nothing. Then, I could just junk it when it went badly wrong. But, would I ever be able to trust it to take me somewhere, without leaving me stranded at the side of the road and completely inconvenienced.

I don't think we'll be seeing many S-Class W222's around that are 10 years old with almost a quarter of a million miles on the clock, in the distant future. They'll be too unreliable and cost prohibitive to own, for the would be pretender, who'd be dumb enough to buy one.

·
Registered
303 Posts
trolly, what do you drive?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,183 Posts
Which, of course, is different to owning one, that's 10 years old, with the same mileage. Never mind one, that's 9 years old, with 238,000 miles ❗

I wouldn't have it, unless it was given to me for nothing. Then, I could just junk it when it went badly wrong. But, would I ever be able to trust it to take me somewhere, without leaving me stranded at the side of the road and completely inconvenienced.

I don't think we'll be seeing many S-Class W222's around that are 10 years old with almost a quarter of a million miles on the clock, in the distant future. They'll be too unreliable and cost prohibitive to own, for the would be pretender, who'd be dumb enough to buy one.

Trolly, please see your private messages.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm quickly closing in on 300,000 miles. At 310,000 miles, I get a new high-mileage badge for the grille.

Honestly, considering the number of miles, repairs have been less than expected (knock on wood). Around 250K I started experiencing a lot of bearing failures...simply replaced them (accessory bearings, not engine bearings.) The car still looks great and people are literally in disbelief that it has that many miles. Of course, it is religiously maintained both mechanically and cosmetically. Just goes to show if you really take care of something it will last; cut corners and you may save a few bucks today but you'll pay later WITH interest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2008 S550 is at 123,000 miles so far I've had a lot of problems with it.
1.Struts and Ball joints replaced
2.Spark plugs and Crank position sensor replaced
3.Fuel pump replaced
4.Airmatic Air pump replaced
5.Intake Manifold replaced
6.Starter replaced
7.Alternator replaced
8.Starter and Main battery replaced

I wish that I don't have anymore problems with it ive lost a lot of money to fix it but a couple of things I've done DIY thanks god for DIY it helped me save a bit of money when dealers were charging me thousands for every time I took it in.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,183 Posts
May mine make it as far!

Reactions: MTUser

·
Registered
2007 S550 4-Matic
3 Posts
I have a 2007 with 133,000 miles. I bought it in 2012 with about 73,000 miles. It had been ridden hard, had been in an accident (sloppy repair) and was poorly maintained. I have brought it back to top condition with only one mod (Mid City Engineering back up camera) For a pretty consistent $250/month in typical W221 repairs plus ordinary maintenance including tires, brakes and oil changes I am able to drive a beautiful, reliable old chariot. I hope to keep it until about 2023 or 2024 when I can get a used W223. I test drove a 2017 because of the 9-Gtronic transmission, but the W222 wow factor over the W221 was not enough to spend the money. I don't drive many miles per year, and my trips are normally under about 400 miles, so the Benz is just an enjoyable personal extravagance. To lower cost I use a good indie MB mechanic. I have owned Cadillacs, Lincolns, Chryslers, Dodges, Chevrolets and Toyotas, and my S550 provides the most fun.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,183 Posts
Nice review! Glad to see it. +1 on the W222 comment.

·
Registered
2007 S550 4matic. 166k-1987 560SL,111k
461 Posts
Just an update no wheel bearing issues. The noise turned out to be the goodyear tires that were on it. Went with Pirelli P7 and everything is super quiet now.

166k Miles. I think the only issue with mine is a bad wheel bearing on the front left. 4matic makes that harder. ;(

It might have a slow freon leak, not sure yet as I just bought it.

Bill.

·
Registered
95 S500, 07 S550 AMG
791 Posts
07 S550 -
Between last year and this year
**Had to replace driver front strut as it was leaking air.(was probably since I bought the car 1 1/2 yrs ago)

**Had the oil cooler and filter housing on the V8 leak from the gaskets putting oil in the coolant and coolant in the oil once the car was off.
Car lost coolant and started overheating but I saved it on time.
After changing the gasket ($25 part) car is running perfect again.

Feel a bit of vibration when changing gears between 2-3 when car is cold. Otherwise it shifts smooth.
I might need a trans fluid flush but I am bit concerned to do it at this point due to the mileage.

My books shows previous owner had the fluid changed at $60k after upgrading the conductor plate while in warranty.

Car gets driven 50 miles daily to work and back.

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
One year later, just turned 125k miles and facing my first big repair, right front strut.

Used the "Raise the car" function on a steep unpaved road, and I think that stressed the shocks and caused it to leak both air and fluid.
Had it towed to the dealer who quoted $1700 for new strut plus labor and four wheel alignment.
Having one remanufactured strut from Arnott being shipped to the dealer, will probably cut the bill in half.
Decided to go with remanufactured versus brand new, after speaking with Arnott rep who advised remanufactured still has electronic dampening while the new one does not.
He advised would be ok to go with the new one, if I were to replace both front.
But since I am replacing just one corner, with the reman one, both front struts would be electronically dampened.

·
Registered
2006, W221 320CDI
12 Posts
As far as i can see after reading this whole thread: front right strut is the first to go bad, following the left one..... Rear struts seem to be handling well the miles.

I'm in the process of buying a W221 320CDI (European version) so this was just to see how things are holding up through time.
Mileage (or Km for my concern) on a Diesel varies from 200+ to 500+ KM (convert it yourself, LOL) and thats's for a vehicle with 10 years of usage !!!

Prices are high due to too much taxes, starting something decent at 20.000€ sometimes without any maintenance logs..... Well i have been an MB driver for too long to change it now (tried a BMW but naaaahhhhhh......)

Greeting from Portugal,

Beco

·
Registered
303 Posts
134k miles after 2years, runs smooth as glass on Pirelli Cinturato tires, who have half the tread left after 30k miles.
Thinking about a Range Rover as the next car, or maybe an X5 Diesel, but I have no reason to trade it in.
Want to get the High Mileage badge at 155k miles first.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2016 E250
3,199 Posts
Just rolled 170K this morning on the way to work.

Currently dealing with (as of this morning) a shifting issue under light to medium acceleration. IIRC its a symptom of low fluid and requiring a flush. Might change the valve body at the same time for safety sake.

Air compressor went out after I bought it with 150K 2 years ago. 15 Minute change.

Other than tires, brakes, etc...no major problems.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2007 with 133,000 miles. I bought it in 2012 with about 73,000 miles. It had been ridden hard, had been in an accident (sloppy repair) and was poorly maintained. I have brought it back to top condition with only one mod (Mid City Engineering back up camera) For a pretty consistent $250/month in typical W221 repairs plus ordinary maintenance including tires, brakes and oil changes I am able to drive a beautiful, reliable old chariot. I hope to keep it until about 2023 or 2024 when I can get a used W223. I test drove a 2017 because of the 9-Gtronic transmission, but the W222 wow factor over the W221 was not enough to spend the money. I don't drive many miles per year, and my trips are normally under about 400 miles, so the Benz is just an enjoyable personal extravagance. To lower cost I use a good indie MB mechanic. I have owned Cadillacs, Lincolns, Chryslers, Dodges, Chevrolets and Toyotas, and my S550 provides the most fun.

I doubt you’ll make your 2007 S-Class last until 2023/24. Because if you did, it will have completely drained your pockets by then. It’s already passed it’s prime. It’s never going to stop breaking now. Think about all those computers that are in your car which are likely to fail over time. Not to mention the malfunctioning software that will leave your car paralyzed in on your driveway at the most inconvenient of times.

And when you get a W223, you’ll learn how much more complicated it is compared to a W221. This means it’ll be more problematic and therefore more costly to maintain. It’s a false economy if you ask me.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts