Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S550 4matic. 166k-1987 560SL,111k
461 Posts
166k Miles. I think the only issue with mine is a bad wheel bearing on the front left. 4matic makes that harder. ;(

It might have a slow freon leak, not sure yet as I just bought it.

Bill.

·
Registered
2014 S550 4Matic; 2009 S550 4Matic (sold); 2008 Toyota Sequoia, 1992 Corvette, 1998 Nissan Maxima
20 Posts
Technically any car can have a long life if you throw enough money at it.

Realistically speaking...what life expectancy requirement do you believe was in mind when the engineers designed the W221?

Are/were W221 buyers splurging for simply the luxury or for a vehicle at would go the distance for not much more than regular maintenance?

A good data point would be how long do original w221 buyers keep the car...something to chew on.

·
Registered
85 300SL Euro,97 SL320,95 S420,07 S550
1,600 Posts
I bought mine (2007) 3 years ago from original owner and now have 180000 Miles on it.
All services done,only problems motor from the sun roof,bladder on the driver seat and memory on the passenger seat,otherwise just wear and tear items,brakes motor mounts and so on.
Mostly highway Miles ,no wear on the interior,paint is still shiny despite the Florida sun

·
Registered
2008 S550 P3 w/ AMG sport package, 2011 Zo6/Z07, 2015 GMC Crew SLT, 1970 GTO
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·

Realistically speaking...what life expectancy requirement do you believe was in mind when the engineers designed the W221?

Are/were W221 buyers splurging for simply the luxury or for a vehicle at would go the distance for not much more than regular maintenance?

A good data point would be how long do original w221 buyers keep the car...something to chew on.
True, but I would think a reasonable amount of money being thrown at it.

Life expectancy? at least 200K. Older MB were always good for up to and over 300K. It's the electronics/modules that are not lasting.

There are few cars these days that are just oil/filter and tires. Due to the advancements they all have some weak point or common issue.
The 221 also seems to have several common issues but overall is a big improvement from the previous platform. Pretty solid car if taken care of.

You want to see a life expectancy of a car look at the 2002-2009 E65 BMW. How many of those do you see around? I owned one and learned a hard lesson there! In the BMW world it is called the car BMW should have never built! Nightmare car. The S550 is a much higher quality car.

·
Registered
2007 S550 and 2008 S550
50 Posts
I am almost at 200K and have gone thru a lot with this car.... mostly due to 4matic! The worst of it was the bearings in the transfer case. When those go its new tranny time because they do not sell much of anything for the transfer case which is an integral part of the transmission. Also, wheel bearings and front struts, a fuel pump (that was sssso easy to instal, it's a joke). I change oil like clock work and always use Mobil 1 OW40 and the engine runs amazing (knock on wood). I have done motor mounts twice, front prop shaft twice, a front tranny pump once (before I had to have the whole transmission done). Idler pully twice.... Many many many tires and a set of rims.... hmmmm. I am sure I am missing something. I do have to say that this is an amazing car... when I am ready I will be getting a new one. This car has been in the absolute worst conditions you can imagine - The streets of NYC and most people cannot believe it's an 08.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
4 matics are an issue for everyone at some point. I don't have one but have been doing my trans service and all has been good. I also use 0/40 mobile 1 and engine is perfect! I go 5-7500 miles on a change. I am now due for motor mounts, just did the front air shocks, idlers, plugs, and had to do the HVAC motor. But overall I am very happy with this car. I have had cheaper cars w/ more issues!

·
Registered
26 Posts

I agree.

Whilst, there is mention in this thread on W221's with 250k miles on the clock, these miles will have most likely been built up in the earlier years of the car's life. During this period of time, the car would have been worth a lot more than any potential expensive repair, that may have been necessary.

Whereas, a 2006 W221, with 100k + miles on the clock (next year), will be living very much on borrowed time.

My guess would be that the average W221, will live for about 13 years, with circa 150k miles on the clock. By that point, the car will only be worth what it's next expensive repair would cost.

As for the W222, I'd guess they would live for 10 years, before they're as good as junk. We will find out in a decades time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2009 CL63 AMG / 2013 GL550 / 1993 300E 2.8
1,502 Posts
Coming up on 94,000 miles here (~3500 of them mine)- car has been great. I traded in my W220 for this particular car since it has the backseat package (2nd AC unit in back and adjustable seats in rear) for my almost 2 year old son. Keeps him nice and cool in the back during 117+ F Arizona summer heat

While the cost of maintenance is fairly high on any Mercedes, I can't think of any insanely expensive repairs with my S550. The W220 I had was extremely reasonable. The AIRMATIC system is pretty damn good... and easy/cheap to replace if it does have issues. Arnott parts cost about ~$1200 and took me 1 hour to do on my S430 (W220). Tires are reasonable and can be rotated, unlike my old SL500 which cost a fortune (only got 13k miles on brand new Michelin PS2s, staggered)

I can see AMG parts (rotors, etc) and ABC causing huge grief. But other repairs seem reasonable so far

·
Registered
2014 S550 4Matic; 2009 S550 4Matic (sold); 2008 Toyota Sequoia, 1992 Corvette, 1998 Nissan Maxima
20 Posts
Funny talking about repairs...yesterday on the way home from work the car started to list to the right as if it was a ship taking on water...then a message appeared on the console "Airmatic Malfunction". Brought the car to Open Road in Bridgewater NJ...turns out 2 front air struts are leaking and need to be replaced. Apparently the auto level sensors kept trying to compensate.

I have CPO extended until May '16 or 130k...92K on the car now. I had motor mounts, trans mounts changed twice, lower right control arm changed, duo-valve replaced, sunroof switch replaced, plus some other minor items.

Is this normal for S550 with 92k miles? Good thing for CPO extended...I bet all this worked covered the cost of the warranty triple. Debating on selling/trading this puppy for a 13/14 S550 when the warranty is up...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just an update on my 2010 4matic...current mileage 240,139:

That "shudder" previously mentioned turned-out to be the torque converter. Not a cheap fix at slightly under $1,900 (which was ½ what the first MB dealership in Annapolis quoted me...I got a reman torque converter and fluid from a dealer in Oregon and had a dealer in Delaware do the labor.) I can't say enough GOOD THINGS about MB of Medford (Jeff, Arch and Brandon) and I.G. Burton MB in Milford. If you check out either, tell them "Jeff from Chesapeake Limo" sent ya'?

The other repairs (aside from maintenance items) have been:

• Front Blower Motor
  • Rear Blower Motor (4-zone climate control)
  • Rear Duo-Valve (4-zone climate control)
  • Air Conditioning Compressor
  • Right & Left Lower Control Arms
  • Right & Left Torque Struts & Bushings
  • Front Stabilizer Bar
  • Airmatic Compressor
  • TPMS Control Module
  • (4) TPMS Sensors*

All things considered the car has been an exceptional value. As a preventative maintenance issue I do have the transmission/transfer-case AND torque converter flushed at 50K...too much of a scare of the transmission replacement cost after the torque converter issue. When you do have your transmission service done check to INSURE that they dealership is familiar with AND does drain the torque converter during the service. (Shockingly I queried 5 MB dealerships and found that 4 did not routinely do this as a part of their standard transmission service...the one that I took it to did at a nominal, additional service/fee.) I should mention that the suspension items listed above wear over time with use and cannot be expected to last forever, especially with the mileage I put on this car. The TPMS wheel sensor battery has an life expectancy of about 5-years, so this is technically a maintenance item. One thing I NEVER make the mistake of doing is substituting aftermarket components over OEM. The exception being IF the manufacturer of the aftermarket component is the SAME SUPPLIER to Mercedes-Benz (do your research!). But honestly, with the prices I get from MB Medford, the OEM MB parts are competitively priced against those OEM supplier parts so I just opt for the OEM parts...seems when I have to take the car to a MB dealer they seem more comfortable installing the OEM parts.

One thing I do deviate from MB OEM parts is the brake pads. I opted to go with Akebono brake pads but still use OEM MB rotors. The difference in brake dust accumulating on the rims is night and day compared with the OEM pads. In my business, the car has to stay clean and cleaning that brake dust off the wheels is a pain in the a$$ job and the standard car washes just don't get it all off, especially once it starts to accumulate.

Something else I'll mention while I am here is that the last time I replaced the tires I went with Pirelli Cinturato P7 PLUS 255/40R19's. I had been so disappointed with the ride, noise, wear and warranty of Continentals and Michelins that I vested weeks of research into finding a better tire. I was apprehensive about Pirelli's because my previous experience with Pirelli's. But these new Cinturato PLUS tires are hands-down the BEST set of tires I've experienced by leaps and bounds. I only have less than 10K miles on them but they are performing flawlessly. They are so quiet and smooth riding...I can't offer a comparison - you'd have to ride in the car to experience it! I was concerned that I must be giving up something to attain these benefits, but they handle flawlessly at highway speeds and performed fine in heavy rains on the highway. But the best part is that they are warranted to 65K miles.

·
Registered
2008 S550
70 Posts
Bought an 08 S550 with 129000. Car was meticulously maintained with all highway miles. Only problems have been leaking front right strut, which seems to go bad first for some reason. Cost 240 diy aftermarket new China part diy. . Leaking in tank fuel filter resulting in horrible fuel smell....cost 100 diy. And finally leaking headlight washers. Cost 40 for aftermarket mew China parts diy. Otherwise a solid awesome car. I run 36 psi and get 15mpg city and 22 mpg highway......The lower the psi....The worse the mpg!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have an 09'S550 with 92k miles .. Mostly all highway. I haft he right front strut go...threw an error code and car was listing heavily to the right. Replaced at the dealer under cpo extended warranty. My warranty is up in April. I need to find a good indie in the north jersey area soon!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Bought an 08 S550 with 129000. Car was meticulously maintained with all highway miles. Only problems have been leaking front right strut, which seems to go bad first for some reason. Cost 240 diy aftermarket new China part diy. . Leaking in tank fuel filter resulting in horrible fuel smell....cost 100 diy. And finally leaking headlight washers. Cost 40 for aftermarket mew China parts diy. Otherwise a solid awesome car. I run 36 psi and get 15mpg city and 22 mpg highway......The lower the psi....The worse the mpg!!!!
Mine is an o8 also and I have the exact same list! I had my air pump go first, which was probably due to my leaking strut. Because a couple of months later the Right front went as usual for so many guys. Almost a year later the left one went. Thank God for Arnott. No issues since. One of the best cars I have owned. I too run 36 psi and it rides pretty nice w/ the 19 rims. My mixed mileage is 21 average mostly hwy, but highway only I have hit 27 on several road trips.

·
Registered
2008 S550
28 Posts
I've owned a lot of cars with well over 100k miles that didn't need motor mounts.

Anyone know why these are failing? Design flaw? Should MB be covering replacements, like Lexus did with the '07/'08 valve issues?

·
Registered
95 S500, 07 S550 AMG
791 Posts
150K miles on my 07. No issues that I know off drivetrain wise.

Fixed the HVAC blower by cleaning it and Sunroof Motor by replacing the mounts and swapping the til motor with the sunroof motor as they are the same.

·
Registered
2008 S550
28 Posts
Arlind,

What have you done to maintain your transmission for those 150k miles?

If you have 4matic, also what was done to maintain that system?

Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
2012 S550 Bi-Turbo 4Matic
303 Posts
I hope to hit as many miles as this one :

Attachments

41 - 60 of 115 Posts