1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2000 S500 AMG
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
s550 w220 mirror turn signal issues

Greetings all,

I have read the prevous postings-thanks for the info!

The passanger side mirror turn signal showed the dash code and also displayed the "fast blink".

1. replaced the passanger side turn signal led element with an aftermarket EBay.
2. replaced the drivers side led element (so they would match) with the same new led element.

Now I have both turn signal displaying error messages and blinking fast. Waited two days to see if the codes/ issues would resolve- no change.

Thoughts? Do I need OEM parts due to voltage draw? Or do the codes need cleared?

Thanks
Gibby

·
Registered
2001 S500L
93 Posts
Hi, My only experience, if it helps, of this was when the wheely bin hit the side mirror of the car and partially detached the wingmirror and the electrical contact with the LED side indicator unit that pushes in when the cover unit is securely pushed home. In our situation pushing the wingmirror back onto the car properly solved the problem and the error messages and rapid blinking resolved itself when the ignition had been switched off. Perhaps you need to press the RESET button. But i would start by putting the known good unit that you have replaced, back on and then try it on the opposite side with flying wires to prove the integrity of the circuit. Hope this helps. Andrew.

·
Registered
2002 S 430
247 Posts
I am having a long and sometimes funny history with my LED cluster in the left mirror.
It works say 3 – 4 months without a single malfunction episode.

Out of blue reappears, mostly NOT when I touch the turn signal but rather when I start the engine or just while driving steady.

When I check the LEDS either the lowest row of the LED cluster is dark, or the whole set.

At the next start everything is fine. Then it is back again.

I patiently reset the malfunction and wait. After a series of erratic on and off, the normal function returns for an extended period.

I may add that I removed the mirror sleeve several times and bench tested the cluster connecting it to my spare battery. It is just sunshine bright at every such occasion.

Also, when the cluster is off and I have the malfunction the clicking is faster than normal, the blinking pace of the remaining signal lights is perfectly normal.

·
Registered
2003 S500
3,217 Posts
Apparently,one common cause is a broken wire where the wires flex when the mirror folds.

On my 2003 S430, the error code and fast blinking do not need to be reset - they are there when the wire lost contact, and went away as soon as the wire made contact and the LEDs worked again.

I removed the mirror housing, then removed the LED unit from the housing. I plugged the LED unit into the connector, and turned the emergency flashers on (didn't need the ignition switch on for that). I then carefully pulled and pushed the thin, identical black wires where they bent when the mirror folded until I found the one that killed the LEDs when pulled, and turned them back on when pushed. The break was inside the insulation, and not visible It was also inside the mirror structure where I couldn't splice the break.

I finally pulled the insulation apart at the break, and spliced in an additional two-inch piece, which allowed me to pull the broken ends out of the structure, and push the additional section thru and splice to each broken end. Problem solved - less than an hour, no cost.

I also took time to very carefully seal the seams on the LED unit with clear RTV silicone, which appears to have cured the problem of water getting into the unit.

·
Registered
2000 S500 AMG
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Wally. I will look into the wiring inside the door/boot for the mirror led. I find it odd that I had only the PASS side showing the code and fast blink-I replaced both led signals and now have both codes and fast blinks.

Therefore I wonder if in the process of me re-wiring the new led signals, if the neg and pos are switched and that is what is causing me issues...

·
Registered
2000 S430, 20" staggered wheels
27 Posts
have you check the resistance of the LED? a conventional bult has a higher resistance than led and you may need to add a resistor to compensante and the computer don't read the load as out of service........

·
Registered
2000 S500 AMG
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Morning,
The turn signals that are factory are 4.5w. So I found that the new replacements were 5w and didn’t have enough resistance as well. I added three resistors from Radio Shack, soldered in to the wiring and perfecto.

The addition and solution:Three 33ohm, 1/2w. Worked like a charm. Thanks all!!!

·
Registered
2006 S430, Silver with AMG Sport Package and 2008 E350 4Matic Sport
38 Posts
II have one mirror turn signal that does the fast blink. It's the driver's side mirror, but it only happens when it rains, or if I wash the car. The passenger side never gives me problems. I bought replacement LED's but they're still in the box because the problem goes away as soon as the mirror dries out.

·
Registered
,02 S55 AMG,02 540i
143 Posts
II have one mirror turn signal that does the fast blink. It's the driver's side mirror, but it only happens when it rains, or if I wash the car. The passenger side never gives me problems. I bought replacement LED's but they're still in the box because the problem goes away as soon as the mirror dries out.
Yep +1 same here :D

·
Premium Member
W220 2003 Update S500L, W204 2008 C220 CDI
488 Posts
Hi Gibby
Did you solder the three resistors in series, ie one after the other thus effectively making a 99 ohm value? I am thinking of swapping the LEDs.
My right mirror has been intermittant for months. I opened it up and soldered all the connections but it still stops working every now and then. I will try wallyp's suggestion to test the supply wires where they flex before ordering new LEDs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2002 S 430
247 Posts
I did the research and concluded that the some leds in my left mirror just died.

I decided to throw in some money, bought a whole new aftermarket mirror on Ebay, it came primed black so I had the MB body shop paint it to match, total cost $280.

No more blinking problems with malfunction messages.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I did the research and concluded that the some leds in my left mirror just died.

I decided to throw in some money, bought a whole new aftermarket mirror on Ebay, it came primed black so I had the MB body shop paint it to match, total cost $280.

No more blinking problems with malfunction messages.
OUCH! Why didn't you just buy a new light for the mirror? I got mine for about 40 bucks. They just screw in, and have a simple plug-in for the wires. Heck, I could have sold you mine because I never used them, they're still brand new in the box.

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,969 Posts
My S430 showed similar intermittent electrical continuity problems. In my case, I took a screwdriver blade and reset the spring force on the 3 contacts inside the mirror housing (while removed). It took me a few tries to get it right, but now it works.

TIPS - I found that a plastic putty knife instead of a screwdriver is the easiest way to release the lower catch when removing the mirror housing. Also, as mentioned earlier, the ignition key has to be removed to reset the electrical fault code. On my first attempt, I bent the metal contacts too far and when the housing was put into place the contacts were crushed. Thin needle nosed pliers restored this mistake.

·
Registered
2002 S 430
247 Posts
Semper,

thanks for your offer. There were a few more reasons for the complete renewal.
When I removed the housing it was clear that the previous owner already messed a lot with with the wiring.

There were added wires inserted, making the the wire longer, with miserable soldered contacts. Could be part of the problem.

Also there was a second mirror plate glued on top of the original, making it pretty hard to pull off and push back the housing.

As a result of greater force, the pegs on the harness plug were broken off, the connection was loose, and there was good chance that it did not make contact at all.

Actually I tried to buy just the light, and could not find. For more recent models tons of options, for my year 2002 none and it is a bit different.

Finally, the heater contact was also broken off, so I just got tired messing with it any longer.
It was amazing how much trouble concentrated in that mirror.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Finally got tired of the fast blink, and decided to finally change out my LEDs. I've had them new in the box for about a year now. I took the covering off the mirror, and just as luck would have it, my '06 LEDs are different than the new ones I bought. I can't use them. I put the mirror back together, and my old LEDs are working!! There's still a fast blink, but the turn signal works perfectly. It may be that second light bulb that shines on the ground that's out. It's wired to the same connection as the LEDs.

Anybody interested in a set of W220 mirror turn signal LEDs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
More info please

Apparently,one common cause is a broken wire where the wires flex when the mirror folds.

On my 2003 S430, the error code and fast blinking do not need to be reset - they are there when the wire lost contact, and went away as soon as the wire made contact and the LEDs worked again.

I removed the mirror housing, then removed the LED unit from the housing. I plugged the LED unit into the connector, and turned the emergency flashers on (didn't need the ignition switch on for that). I then carefully pulled and pushed the thin, identical black wires where they bent when the mirror folded until I found the one that killed the LEDs when pulled, and turned them back on when pushed. The break was inside the insulation, and not visible It was also inside the mirror structure where I couldn't splice the break.

I finally pulled the insulation apart at the break, and spliced in an additional two-inch piece, which allowed me to pull the broken ends out of the structure, and push the additional section thru and splice to each broken end. Problem solved - less than an hour, no cost.

I also took time to very carefully seal the seams on the LED unit with clear RTV silicone, which appears to have cured the problem of water getting into the unit.
Sounds like exactly the fault I have can you explain in more detail, cant get how the 2 inch piece is attached?
I finally pulled the insulation apart at the break, and spliced in an additional two-inch piece, which allowed me to pull the broken ends out of the structure, and push the additional section thru and splice to each broken end.
Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
2001 S500
2 Posts
Fast Blink

I have had enough of the mirror fast blink so I decided to get down to it and fix it.

First I bought aftermarket lights and installed them, boom, the fast blink malfunction message lit up right away on both mirrors, DANG!!!.

Did some research and soldered 3 resistors in, WHAM!! nothing helped, still had the fast blink :crying:crying:crying

How I fixed it: I took my originals and decided to pry off the led boards just to see what was wrong, had to cut the wires to get the board out, found my problem :angel the soldering spots in the board had cracks in it, not only on the LED lights but also on the small resistors in the board itself.

I took my soldering iron out and touched up all the cracks (wish I took pictures) then added new wires and hot glued the boards back in to place. :nerd:nerd Guess what? Everything works now, been driving for a week with out any issues.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts