Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 S500
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced radiator fan assembly last week(lost a lot of coolant in the process)...then topped off coolant with 50/50 pre-mix.

All was well, until today...when I decided to run the AC on the way to/from work...no cold AC...just fan.

On the way home from work, temp gradually climbed from 80(norm in my car) to 90..then immediately to 120. Received the temp warning, and to turn engine off. I pulled over to allow it to cool, then drove home.

I noticed that the new radiator fan is working, and coolant is still topped off.

Any ideas? I did not have this temp issue with the old fan....even though the fan motor sounded like a small jet engine.

I am planning on replacing the fan with the old(OEM) one, if that will stop the temp issue. I am thinking of swapping the fans...since that is the only issue.

·
Registered
2001 S500
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: Allowed car to cool down....then drove it for a few miles. AC still not blowing cold air. Car is maintaining a constant temperature around 90 degrees.

·
Registered
2001 S500
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[SOLVED]

As it turns out, my radiator fan was plugged in the backwards(via A/B sockets).

This was interesting, as I'm almost certain that I made sure that it was plugged in exactly like the OEM. And, the ill-effects didn't start until days later.

Oh well, for those of you who have to undergo a radiator fan replacement...learn from my mistakes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts