Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

501 - 515 of 515 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi @johnksss @Kraut56 ,

Aha ...............

Now we are getting somewhere .................

My S Class had it's cluster replaced at main dealer in 2005 according to it's history.

Neither of these Cars has "Redundant Mileage" stored in their EIS, so they will stay at the Mileage on the Cluster ...........
I have never had any success personally trying to adjust mileage with SDS, when doing cluster swaps on customers cars, perhaps you could pm me how you do this ?? ;)

The "Breaker Car" is AFAIK on it's original Cluster.

The Breaker Car did have both Mirrors doing "One Touch" folding, until it's crash, now it is just the Passenger one, no surprise there as I picked up the "Folding Motor" and other broken bits off the floor and binned it all :wink

I have never heard anything to suggest that the Mirrors are different ?????????????????????

However, there is no option in it's cluster to "Fold Mirrors upon lock" and despite having "One Touch" folding that works, it has never "Folded upon Lock" since I got it a few weeks back.

I'll go try the Menu and Reset Button thing right now, as I've got to move the Cars around, but sadly I'll be too busy to do anything else with SDS this week ;) ....................................

OK, My Car (34 k miles) successfully brought up the SW / HW Versions etc when doing the sequence you asked, the breaker Car (103k) miles stubbornly remained showing it's "Mileage Screen" :dunno:
Although both Cars were running when I photo'd the Mileages, they were definitely both in Ign pos 1 when I tried the Reset Button trick btw !!

I do agree with John, I suspect this is just a Version Coding issue in my Cluster, but what and where ?????????????

I have spent hours with this, on several occasions now and we also now know for certain it is not my DCM's or Mirror Switches !!

see pix ..................
Interesting, then the options are surely in the cluster as when I went to code my 06 cluster I found way more stuff in there than my factory 01. Hummm, if it does not do it, then it's a first gen cluster. Now i'm totally lost. First gen with 1 touch. Just to be clear here. The car was off. You turn the car on using 1 turn? Then you hit the reset button 3 times? You can not do this is the car is already running.(Which i'm sure you didn't do! I'm just listening to myself hoping for a human mistake - LOL) Also try setting the miles to KM and give it one last go when or if time permits. I tried all sorts of ways and could not get my factory 01 to do this either

You would not be able to just change it with just SDS as the odometer is hard locked. You would need to pull the chip off the board. For you, this would still be fairly easy. After the first time you'll be like, this really isn't that hard. :) We'll talk.

You may also need to be using your C4 and developer mode. You will also need to translate the German menu section as you may need to actually enable it there first, before your english options actually work.
Then you basically killed my hopes that it was DCM, when in fact it's does appear to not be that either. Grrrrrrrrr. After i just ordered two more off an of S55. Or so the guy says... I may just go head and grab a mirror and just test it and see what happens if this last trial takes a hard fail.

:grin You spent hours. I have spent more like a month (in litteral hours) on this stuff. (Just the 1 touch/ auto fold):grin

A few links i'm sure we have read over many times already. Even says when they started with 1 touch.
https://w220.ee/Exterior_mirrors

And this one may shine some light on settings.
DCM-FL / DCM-FR / Instrument Cluster
https://w220.ee/Door_control_module

This is for another idea on how to convert the Instrument Cluster in to 260 Mph speedo, but there are also settings in here for the DCM's. (It's using the KM as MPH)

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hey Dave, can we move this out of this tread into maybe a new one? As it is pretty much offtopic for the last few pages....

Here are the menu sections that also need to be changed, but they are in German on SDS. Take special note of the bottom two menus in the first picture.

Edit:
I think it's the mirror... Can you run both of your vin numbers through here and tell me what it says.
https://mbworld.org/forums/vindecoder.php?vin
Equipment/Exterior
Dual pwr folding heated mirrors-inc: <----- This seems to mean 1 touch auto folding.
Dual pwr heated mirrors w/pwr-fold feature<------This seems to mean that you have to hold the button. This is what my vin shows.

Attachments

·
W220 Moderator
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #503 (Edited)
Hi @johnksss ,

Quote:- Hey Dave, can we move this out of this thread into maybe a new one? As it is pretty much offtopic for the last few pages....

I was going to suggest the very same, I will move the relevant posts to my W220 Resurrection Thread :wink

Thanks for the above ;)

Cheers,

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
3,212 Posts
Auto power folding is tricky, especially on 220. You didn't see anything in the actuations/control module programming section in DAS? I vaguely remember seeing customer selectable options under those sections last time I messed with a 220 cluster.

The W220 I was working on was a 01 S600, so it was fully loaded, but who knows if the plain jane S500's will have the same sort of options.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Auto power folding is tricky, especially on 220. You didn't see anything in the actuations/control module programming section in DAS? I vaguely remember seeing customer selectable options under those sections last time I messed with a 220 cluster.

The W220 I was working on was a 01 S600, so it was fully loaded, but who knows if the plain jane S500's will have the same sort of options.
Dual pwr folding heated mirrors-inc: <----- This seems to mean 1 touch auto folding.
Dual pwr heated mirrors w/pwr-fold feature<------This seems to mean that you have to hold the button. This is what my vin shows.
So if your original vin says mirrors-inc, then you have 1 touch.

I went through every single possible option and combination of options. Including different DCM's and @Dave2302 proved that it wasn't the DCM. So the only thing left is the actual mirrors themselves. Can't seem to get a really good look at how many wires are coming from it going to the DCM on any newer models. Maybe we can just add the missing wires. (highly unlikely)

·
W220 Moderator
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #507 (Edited)
Hi, @Deplore @johnksss ,

I'm still busy right now but here's what I did yesterday ..................

I tried that link above and it would not recognise either of my Cars VIN's, double and triple checked.

I re tried the Ign Pos1, hit reset button 3 times on the breaker car, and also with KM instead of Miles, nada zip, didn't do a thing.

I printed both cars data cards in WIS EPC, no mention of powerfold mirrors or anything remotely mirror related except both cars have auto dimming mirrors inside and out.

My Car was delivered 6th June 2001 and the breaker Car was delivered 29th October 2001, both are WDB2200752A 's

I looked up the part numbers of left and right door mirrors for each cars VIN, guess what, both the same :(

Right Mirror .... 220 810 02 16

Left Mirror .... 220 810 03 16 (also can be 21 or 76)

So, nope I don't think it is the Mirrors .....................

If I had the time, I'd swap the Clusters, but both Clusters are stuck firm, will not release just with the release keys, so I need to get behind them to push on them, do not want to break them !!

I am almost certain I am missing something in the Version Coding of the Cluster on my good Car, but I've had "Fold Mirrors upon Lock" option in the Convenience Settings, (can't get that to appear in the breaker cars cluster, but that one does one touch !!

My Car stubbornly refuses to do one touch, and also the breaker car does one touch but not powerfold upon locking ......................

Soooooooo right now I'm absolutely F I I Know :wink

Cheers

·
Registered
360 Posts
Seems to work for WDBNG, but not WDB22 which is Munich.
It should look like the pictures...
One is an 05 while the incorrect one is an 01 before June 01, 2001. The cut off date when they started making the change.

Every car I checked with 1 touch that actually works is a Mirror-inc.

I have changed everything but the mirrors. I have tested on a working car with 1 touch and was able to enable and disable them. There is even an option to turn 1 touch on and off, which might be where your stuck at.

I think both of your cars have the capacity to work while mine is not after the correct month/day/year combo.

Attachments

·
W220 Moderator
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #509 (Edited)
Hi @johnksss ,

The Cluster in my good S Class is 2005 build and s/w replacement part.

I know it's a C Class, but Mels Car came with 1 touch Mirrors, no Auto Powerfold on Lock etc, this was a few years back, but I spent about 10 minutes on SDS, plane Jane Version Coding, and her's now one touch and auto fold upon lock / unlock.

I also do not understand why the breaker car does not powerfold upon lock / unlock.

I will get to the bottom of it one day, but right now, whilst good weather is on I need to be catching up on all the jobs I couldn't do while we had all the family illnesses and deaths going on over the past 4 years and were living out of suitcases in hotels etc ;)

Let me know if you find anything else :wink

Awwww ................ wait a minute, a big light bulb above my head just came on ................... If you have some time, check Seat Modules, see if they need Coding too, Mels Mirrors do not un fold until you physically sit in a Seat, either Driver or Passenger :wink

When I get time that'll be the first place I look next ;)

Cheers

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi @johnksss ,

Neither of my Cars are 05, the Cluster in my good S Class is 2005 build and s/w replacement part.

UK VIN numbers do not have the NG, the VIN Numbers I quoted are all correct exactly as per the Vehicle plates and all paperwork.

I know it's a C Class, but Mels Car came with 1 touch Mirrors, no Auto Powerfold on Lock etc, this was a few years back, but I spent about 10 minutes on SDS, plane Jane Version Coding, and her's now one touch and auto fold upon lock / unlock.

I also do not understand why the breaker car does not powerfold upon lock / unlock.

I will get to the bottom of it one day, but right now, whilst good weather is on I need to be catching up on all the jobs I couldn't do while we had all the family illnesses and deaths going on over the past 4 years and were living out of suitcases in hotels etc ;)

Let me know if you find anything else :wink

Awwww ................ wait a minute, a big light bulb above my head just came on ................... If you have some time, check Seat Modules, see if they need Coding too, Mels Mirrors do not un fold until you physically sit in a Seat, either Driver or Passenger :wink

When I get time that'll be the first place I look next ;)

Cheers
1 touch started in 01 after June first. My testing went from 2000 to 2006 cars.

Also I know your vins are correct and maybe the one here just isn't set up to decode those. I am able to decode vins like yours and mine through MB. I also called them to see what my vin read and they give the generic version with no in depth information...So that seems odd as well. How this site goes far into the details.

Let me know the next time you are going to be on the cars and we can teamviewer. I'll try to have mine handy at the same time. So we can get to the bottom of this.

I still have another set of DCM's coming. Maybe one of mine is before June 1st 2001 and it is cancelling the other one out. Not sure if it was you mentioning that they both had to be the same or newer...In an old thread.

Also going to try and see if i can borrow an 03 mirror to at least rule that out. Besides, the newer ones have the puddle light and I kind of dig that feature as well.:smile

Edit. I checked and I do not have that type of coding where you have to be in the seat. Although that is interesting that one has to be seated though.

·
W220 Moderator
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #511 (Edited)
Hi @johnksss ,

Thanks John,

Yes, my bad, I misread your post initially, and edited my post re the VIN's, but you must have hopped on it straight after I posted it, as your quote shows the second and third lines which I edited out LOL :wink

When I have time I'll spend a whole day, but it won't be for a fair while yet and first thing I'll do is swap the Clusters :wink

Remember Mel's car is a POST FACELIFT W203 C Class tho, sitting in the Seat may or may not be relevant :dunno:

I have a customer with a CL600 V12, that is an 02 MY and has one touch, but doesn't have Powerfold upon Lock / Unlock, the C215 CL is almost identical electronically to the W220 ;)

Cheers

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi @johnksss ,

Thanks John,

Yes, my bad, I misread your post initially, and edited my post re the VIN's, but you must have hopped on it straight after I posted it, as your quote shows the second and third lines which I edited out LOL :wink

When I have time I'll spend a whole day, but it won't be for a fair while yet and first thing I'll do is swap the Clusters :wink

Remember Mel's car is a POST FACELIFT W203 C Class tho, sitting in the Seat may or may not be relevant :dunno:

I have a customer with a CL600 V12, that is an 02 MY and has one touch, but doesn't have Powerfold upon Lock / Unlock, the C215 CL is almost identical electronically to the W220 ;)

Cheers
No worries Brother Dave.

Whenever you find the time, hit me up. I would like to finally figure this out once and for all as it seems to be an on going thing since 2001. And no one seems to know how or want to identify it. (Talking about Mercedes Benz) They seem to need you vin number and then always come back with generic information not answering the question.

Do you have access to that customers car?

·
W220 Moderator
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #513
No worries Brother Dave.

Whenever you find the time, hit me up. I would like to finally figure this out once and for all as it seems to be an on going thing since 2001. And no one seems to know how or want to identify it. (Talking about Mercedes Benz) They seem to need you vin number and then always come back with generic information not answering the question.

Do you have access to that customers car?
Only when it is in for repairs, it has just recently gone home after a bunch more repair work, so I doubt I'll see it now for a while :wink

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well the "new to me" DCM's were a bust as they were from an earlier version of the one I have now. And it was pretty easy to see once they were hooked up. They were mission all kinds of options. So needless to say I sent them back...

501 - 515 of 515 Posts
About this Discussion
514 Replies
24 Participants
Dave2302
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing