Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 560SEL 69 280 SE coupe 95 S500 coupe 2013 B Class
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1995 S500 coupe that has the phone controls in the dash but there is no separate phone in the console. Was this car wired for a phone or were the controls there on all coupes? Can one hook up a modern cell phone to this system? The coupe has only 38,000 miles and is mint from palm springs CaL
thanks
Doug Dees
Toronto

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6 1993 500sel (sold) 1995 S500 coupe (sold) 1994 S500 blk/blk
1,007 Posts
I have the same model and year as you. The phone system is of course obsolete, but to answer your question: evidently the PO removed the handset which should be in the console. The handset has a slide-switch which when switched on activates the phone controls in the dash and raises the antenna.

It's easy to install the handset if you can find one.

There is no known way to modify the car phone to modern digital cell phone use.

You would have to check the Window sticker with the MSRP to see if the wiring was included. Seems to me that if the phone controls are in the dash that it would be wired.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
They were all wired, the previous owner probably removed the cradle to get more space. The control in the dash eyeglass bin is a little harder to remove since you have to remove the bin to get at the mounting bracket.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,423 Posts
Here's a perfect solution I've found that works with the old equipment you already have, but will allow you to have your bluetooth-enabled modern phone working:

Parrot makes a model, 3100, that will show a small controller that you can affix to a corner of the 'sunglass compartment', leaving your console without anything in it. I covered both compartments with a burlwood floor and it looks terrific.

The successful installation will allow you to use the "PHONE" portion of your factory radio, along with the two outboard dash speakers and the microphone in the upper lighting console. Now, when I receive a call, the Parrot's controller shows who's calling (if they're in my phone book), mutes the stereo, and works seamlessly with my I-Phone. I can even end the call out of the car by switching to the phone when I turn the car off.

I now have that system in all my cars, it's really a good system. Best part, your phone never goes obsolete! At least with this generation of phones.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 & 1999 S500
892 Posts
Absolutely. Check it out:
I remember from a previous thread that you had it professionaly installed. Doyou know if the instructions in the Parrot cover this installation? Would any installer worth their salt be able to install it?

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,423 Posts
QuakerCity:

Any installer should be able to do the work.

Caveat: Using any 'qualified' installer should be the ONLY people to work on your W140.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's a perfect solution I've found that works with the old equipment you already have, but will allow you to have your bluetooth-enabled modern phone working:

Parrot makes a model, 3100, that will show a small controller that you can affix to a corner of the 'sunglass compartment', leaving your console without anything in it. I covered both compartments with a burlwood floor and it looks terrific.

The successful installation will allow you to use the "PHONE" portion of your factory radio, along with the two outboard dash speakers and the microphone in the upper lighting console. Now, when I receive a call, the Parrot's controller shows who's calling (if they're in my phone book), mutes the stereo, and works seamlessly with my I-Phone. I can even end the call out of the car by switching to the phone when I turn the car off.

I now have that system in all my cars, it's really a good system. Best part, your phone never goes obsolete! At least with this generation of phones.
Do you have a website or dealer that sells thes units. I will pick up the car next week.
thanks
Doug Dees

·
Registered
1994 S420, 2001 S500, 2010 S550
19 Posts
I have been trying to switch my phone in my 94 S420 with bluetooth, the people at Quick Connect Products, say there wire harness will work with 94 Benz SL, but not S class using the QCHBC-MBZ harness an Parrot 3100 unit.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
Do you have a website or dealer that sells thes units. I will pick up the car next week.
thanks
Doug Dees
Just Google Parrot Bluetooth - the more I think about it the more I like the idea of going down the headunit option, pretty sure Becker and Blaupunkt make options which will go with the stock wiring. I have an external one similar to this mounted just behind the indicator stalk - it does not have the address book so is smaller in size - there are lots of different ones out there.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
S500 phone conversions

I have been trying to switch my phone in my 94 S420 with bluetooth, the people at Quick Connect Products, say there wire harness will work with 94 Benz SL, but S class using the QCHBC-MBZ harness an Parrot 3100 unit.
Are Quick connect products in Toronto?
thanks
Doug Dees

·
Registered
12 Posts
How to

Hey I am very interested in the install. I have a 99 S500 with all the wiring for the old analog OKI phone. I have removed that leaving the OKI plugs, antena wires etc. I am assuming that you connected to this wiring system as well.

Can you provide installation instructions, pictures.. etc. for how you got it to mate with the Parrot CK3100?

Thanks for the help in advance :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi I've been trying to see if they is a easy way to hook up my phone up and still use the existing wires. The guy at Quick Connects says the wire kit works with SL class but not S class I find that strange? His email is "[email protected]"

·
Registered
19 Posts
I haven't bought the harness yet but I'm still looking for a simple hook-up.
The harness kit is "QCHBC-MBZ harness for an Parrot CK3100 unit".
As I said before according to Quick Connect Products this will work with SL not S Class I find that odd.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Phone installation

Hi I've been trying to see if they is a easy way to hook up my phone up and still use the existing wires. The guy at Quick Connects says the wire kit works with SL class but not S class I find that strange? His email is "[email protected]"
I spoke to Kromer radio today in Toronto and they are recommending the German system called Bury modelCC9060 that is better than the Parrott 3100 as it is simpler to operate. They also do not recommend using the LG or Samsung phones as they have had problems with them. The German phone is about $450 plus $200 to install plus taxes.
Question: If you remove the old keyboard from the dash, how big of a hole is left where the wiring comes through? Is it difficult to remove?
Doug Dees

1 - 18 of 18 Posts