Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
S500L 03, Avalanche 03 and Porsche Cayenne S 04
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

What i thought to be a bad coil turned out to be something else. I get misfire on cilinder one and my engine does not idle nice. Engine shakes way too much. It was doing that for a long time cold but i never had check engine come on and did not bother much because it always stopped after 1 minute or so. My S500 has only about 20000 miles. I tested fuel pressure, changed all coils and the spark plugs and wires from cilinder 1 and i also checked fuel pressure which is 50 psi, i took out injector 1 and cleaned it. Seems to work fine, i then swithed the inector with the one from cilinder 2.Nothing seems to help. Vacuum hoses seem to be fine now, they where old and cracked so i changed them with some universal hoses. The maf sensor is in its place thightly so i dont see any problems there as well.
I get p0301 and p0300. When reading live data LTFT stays at 0 and STFT rises up to +25% for both banks. I have also changed the leaking valve cover seals and i have to do bank 2 again cause it is leaking badly now, but that has nothing to do with cilinder 1 misfire.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes S600, 2002 S500, 2001 BMW 750IL
713 Posts
buy the compression testing gauge from the auto parts store and check the compression for cylinder 1. You may have a problem you cant see.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is exactly the answer i did not want to read. You are thinking burned exhaust valve i guess. I have been searching for burned exhaust valves on a S500 but i could not find any info about it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok compression test done and compression is good. 180 psi after 3 turns. Same as cilinder 2. So i guess valves and piston are fine. What should i do next? Do i need to take off the valve covers to check the valve lifters? Could there be something with the intake?

·
Premium Member
2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet 2003 S500 4Matic 2004 S55 2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet 2008 S 450
780 Posts
There are a number of things that can cause a misfire. As an example vacuum leaks, electrical leaks i.e. bad wires or bad coils or bad plug. My best advice would be to find a good Indie who has a STAR and have him check for codes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the codes, no need for no indy. Vacuum has been tested as i wrote earlier, wires also and coils and plugs as well. I only get misfire on cilinder 1.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 S430
1,923 Posts
Shot in the dark next time before you start the car, when it is nice and cold check the fuel rail for pressure first.

Dean

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I did do that, if i remember correctly it was 55 psi. I have a new fuel pump and filter fitted 4000 miles ago.
Also i recall when i started driving this car it started nicely and did not shake. It then started to shake cold but always disappeared after about a minute or something. Check engine never came on so i never bothered until shaking became worse and CEL came on.

·
Registered
Current 2017 GLE350, 2007 S550, 2002 S430, 1998 ML320 Deceased 74 240D, 92 400E, 97 E420, 13 GLK350
1,915 Posts
Just some basic thoughts.

Leaking breather and valve covers result in oil leaks onto plug wires and affect their longevity. Looks like you replaced the wires:
- Are the replacements Bosch or an off brand?
- Are the replacements the correct resistor wire corresponding to the stamp on the valve cover?
- Are the wires securely snapped onto the plugs?
- Are the wires in their correct position corresponding position 'a' and 'b'?

With new coil pack and plugs:
- Is the coil pack Bosch or an off-brand?
- Are the connectors secure at the three locations?

With new plugs:
- What type of plugs were used?
- What torque value was used?
- Did you put anything on the plug threads or the electrode?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good questions!

Vacuum and breather are fine now i think. I did test the vacuum and all was fine.
The replacement coils are off brand. The original ones are still good i think. I did not notice any change when switching coils.

The replacement wires came off another car, should i try new ones? The wires are snapped onto the plugs. Should i try new wires?
There are short and long wires. I might have changed their locaton but i did put the long and short ones were they belong. a & b that is

Original plugs still, i have changed them with other used plugs also. They do spark. Fuel is coming like it should. I did not put anything on the plugs all i did was brush them clean. I just tightenend the plugs by hand.

What do you mean by are the connectors secure at three locations?

I have a Icarsoft MB scanner with misfire fault counter. No other cilinder has misfires. My short term fuel trim goes up to about 25% for both banks. There was also another function that i did not understand where only cilinder one got strange values.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have taken off the intake manifold and it is very dirty. Is there anything else i should check besides the intake valves? Are there some known issues with these manifolds? When turning the crankshaft i can hear air escaping at cilinder 1 area.

·
Registered
2003 S500
2,476 Posts
The best test at this point would be a leak-down check. The engine is turned to TDC-Firing on the cylinder being tested (especially #1 in your case), and compressed air is introduced into the cylinder using a special test rig. The test gauge shows the amount of leakage, and just listening will tell you where it is leaking - rings, intake valves, exhaust valve, cylinder head gasket, etc. That would end the guessing...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a leak down test, just haven't used it yet seeing the results i got from the compression test. Now it is a bit late do do a leak down test with the intake manifold taken off.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Air is not escaping as far as i can hear when doing leak test on cilinder 1. I have not tested all cilinders yet. Seems to be around 10 percent at 85 psi.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any updates on this rik881?
I have a similar problem on bank 1 with, cylinder 2/4 no el from coil.
Swaped coils and saprk plugs.
Problem stayed on 2/4.
Constantly no el on coil.
Suspected ecu, went to electrician came back, says its good.
Dunno what to check next.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts