Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. First post or thread here. Anyway, I got some lowering links and got them all installed.. the only issue I’m having is that the right side is sitting a lot higher than the left side. S500 2004 base model to be exact. The rear is only adjustable through one link that my buddy and I custom fabricated. Please let me know if you guys have ran into this issue with lowering links. Thanks again

·
Registered
2005 S600
462 Posts
Sounds like they were installed incorrectly... Was the car level before installing them?

·
W220 Moderator
S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
5,802 Posts
Front or Rear RIGHT ?

If it's front chances are the Plastic height sensor link is orientated 180 degrees out ;)

HTH,

·
W220 Moderator
5,802 Posts
That is a ridiculously lowered stance and only likely to affect handling, stability and wear / damage components ...............

I'm out ;)

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005
869 Posts
Man that is way too low. Aren't you scraping everywhere?? I have mine lowered as well but via SDS and not links. I would suggest you get the links out and try to lower it via Star.

·
Registered
2005 S600
462 Posts
I don't think it was sarcasm.

I think the car is far too low, too. Take even a modest turn and the wheels will hit the front fenders.

It looks broken, not "stanced". Like you lowered the right, and had an airbag or two collapse on the left.

I would pull the links out, see if the car works OK/sits level and start this process over. Perhaps with a less radical lowering, the suspension will be better balanced left/right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man that is way too low. Aren't you scraping everywhere?? I have mine lowered as well but via SDS and not links. I would suggest you get the links out and try to lower it via Star.
I’m not scraping at all. I wanted to lower it via star but the guy said my car would just automatically raise back up unless I had a module of some sort to bypass it from self raising itself?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think it was sarcasm.

I think the car is far too low, too. Take even a modest turn and the wheels will hit the front fenders.

It looks broken, not "stanced". Like you lowered the right, and had an airbag or two collapse on the left.

I would pull the links out, see if the car works OK/sits level and start this process over. Perhaps with a less radical lowering, the suspension will be better balanced left/right.
I removed the front links and everything is still fine. Raising really high as usual.

·
Premium Member
2006 S500 (W220, Designo Espresso, AMG Sport, LWB)
381 Posts
I have a set of lowering links for my '06 S500 (base model). I've not installed them, but recall the instructions saying something about needing to install them a certain way - like battery disconnected first - then put on jacks, pull front wheels and instal both front lowering links, wheels back on and car back on ground BEFORE reconnecting the battery.
The kit only needs the front two links to be swapped out to lower the whole vehicle.
I'll see about pulling the instructions out tomorrow and will post them.
They were very specific about it needing to be done in a specific order for the computer to automatically adjust and not require having the suspension levels recalibrated.

·
W220 Moderator
5,802 Posts
Rather than disconnect the [email protected]@dy Battery :( un plug the Airmatic Controller only then you will not have all the grief that accompanies battery disconnection :p

·
Premium Member
2006 S500 (W220, Designo Espresso, AMG Sport, LWB)
381 Posts
Correction of my previous post: I found the link set and instructions. The special steps required before swapping out the front links and adjusting the rear one, was make sure the suspension was in resting or park mode by doing two things:
1. Have the remote key fob completely out of range of the vehicle.
2. Open and then close the driver's door at least once after the vehicle has been turned off.
3. Complete link replacement / adjustment for all three at the same time.
4. Put the vehicle back on the ground before bringing the key fob back into range of the vehicle or powering on the ignition.
Part of what I read into that may be it's important to not do anything (like opening the vehicle's doors or trunk) that causes the suspension system to wake up.
Or a Dave so eloquently put it: Pull the connector. (but only after getting the suspension in park mode)
By the way, this lowering kit is for a 4MATIC model, which my vehicle is not. Should anyone want it... Let me know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correction of my previous post: I found the link set and instructions. The special steps required before swapping out the front links and adjusting the rear one, was make sure the suspension was in resting or park mode by doing two things:
1. Have the remote key fob completely out of range of the vehicle.
2. Open and then close the driver's door at least once after the vehicle has been turned off.
3. Complete link replacement / adjustment for all three at the same time.
4. Put the vehicle back on the ground before bringing the key fob back into range of the vehicle or powering on the ignition.
Part of what I read into that may be it's important to not do anything (like opening the vehicle's doors or trunk) that causes the suspension system to wake up.
Or a Dave so eloquently put it: Pull the connector. (but only after getting the suspension in park mode)
By the way, this lowering kit is for a 4MATIC model, which my vehicle is not. Should anyone want it... Let me know.
Really appreciate all the awesome feedback I’m getting. I’m thinking about slapping on the lowering links and then don’t. A star lowering with it as well. The only issue is that the guy that does the star said that my suspension would automatically rise once it’s been configured.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts