Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came back from a long road trip and started to hear metal grinding noises when i turn left and right. I stopped the car and looked at the power steering fluid, it looks fine and there is no problems with steering. When i shake the hood up and down, you can hear the metal creaking. Has anyone had this problem before and what part needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
01 S320 & 99 C240 Sport Wagon
83 Posts
I just came back from a long road trip and started to hear metal grinding noises when i turn left and right. I stopped the car and looked at the power steering fluid, it looks fine and there is no problems with steering. When i shake the hood up and down, you can hear the metal creaking. Has anyone had this problem before and what part needs to be replaced?
Why would you shake the hood ????

Noises are very subjective and hard to convey making it very difficult to do any remote assist.

Does it make the noise when the car is stationary and you turn the wheel left to right & vice versa ?

Ifso, it could be that you are low on hydraulic fluid in the PS system - easy to check, look it up in your owners' Manual.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

No, the car doesn't make noise when it is stationary. I have checked the Power Steering as mentioned, the fluid is fine. I have moved the steering left and right many times, no good. I shook the hood to see if the sounds will come out and yes it does. The noise only comes when you turn the wheel left or right.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hello,

No, the car doesn't make noise when it is stationary. I have checked the Power Steering as mentioned, the fluid is fine. I have moved the steering left and right many times, no good. I shook the hood to see if the sounds will come out and yes it does. The noise only comes when you turn the wheel left or right.
Okay, so it's whilst the car is moving AND turning, that helps. I would check brake discs / pads, not that your pads are worn but maybe the discs are - they can get noisy when they are really worn.

Next up would be wheel bearings although they have been known to do several 100K miles without a so much as a peep.

I really can't see how the hood would have anything to do with it.

·
Premium Member
2002 S500, 1999 C230 Kompressor, 1997 C230
443 Posts
Mine started with the same noise and it turned out that it was the bushing on the lower control arm. Both of them had worn out, which will allow the arm to move slightly forward/backward and grind against the bracket, and it mostly happened when turning while at the same time going over drive/curb.

Using correct safety procedures get the car in the air and look closely at the bracket where the lower control arm meets the car. If this is the problem, you will see some scrapes or grinding against the inside of the bracket where the arm is hitting and rubbing.

Sometimes the car would make the noise when it was parked and I pushed down on the hood, sometimes note. It depended if the lower control arm was resting on the bracket or not. It was sort of flopping back and forth at will.

One quick question: is this a 4-Matic? If it is, then look at the CV joints.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

I fixed the problem. It wasn't the bushings because I tested the play on the suspension, it would not budge. I jacked up the car and examined it and discovered the thrust arm with ball joint was damaged. Here is a picture of it...

2000-2000 Mercedes S430 220.170 Control Arm & Ball Joint Assembly Front Lower Right Thrust Arm with Ball Joint and Bushing in Automotive - Bizrate Black Friday Deals 2010

I replaced it and the problem was gone. The thrust arm is made of aluminum, its very light. Almost ten years, the old part did its job well! I didn't have to do wheel alignment afterwards, because my car was driving straight afterwards. There are 4 ball joint parts, the tie rod, thrust arm, the main ball joint, and one ball joint that is horizontal. There are so many!

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Quite a common problem. Steel ball in alluminium frame = fast wear.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I didn't have to do wheel alignment afterwards, because my car was driving straight afterwards.
You would be advised to have it aligned, nonetheless. It might drive straight (toe-in) but could still have something else out of spec like caster or camber.

Good to hear you got it fixed !

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
I agree, we normally do wheel alignment as a matter of routine after any steering/suspension repairs.

·
Premium Member
2002 S500, 1999 C230 Kompressor, 1997 C230
443 Posts
Thanks for letting us know what was causing the problem.

You might want to change both thrust arms in that they both will wear, and then get an alignment.

You are correct about all of those ball joints plus there is one up on the wishbone. They can be a real hassle to diagnose and repair, esp that nasty horizontal one on the lower conrol arm. It attaches to the stabilizer link and has alot of tension.

Also, keep close observation on the side that had the thrust arm ball joint go bad. This will have put some stress on the inner and outer tie rod ends.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts