Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 S500, 07 S550 AMG
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,
This is my first post on the w220 section. This is because I am posting for a friend. (I originally own a w140)

It's a 2001 S500 AMG package.. with what we think is a suspension problem.

The car is very loose on the highway. It drags the car if it hits a bump and when turning it doesn't feel stiff at all, I would describe it as very wobbly(Like a boat.)
You can hear the pump/compressor when you raise the car with a button, but it's loud and doesn't sound normal. Also, the car raises up and down, but it won't raise the car all the way to the top.

My friend thinks it's the pump/compressor, but I suspect there is a leak somewhere. Yes, it could be the compressor going bad at this point, but i think if the compressor iss raising the car, then it's not the issue. Feel free to comment at any time, after all I'm not a mechanic but it makes sense that the pump is struggling to raise the car due to an air leak. I feel because raising the car to the highest point requires a lot of pressure, the amount of air going out the leak increases, and fails to bring the car at the highest point. Also makes sense to think the pump is making a louder noise because it's a sign showing it's working more than usual. Again, this is what I think but I am looking for a feedback from you guys.

Another thing, I need to know if the car has ABC vs Airmatic. I had him call the dealer to double check and the dealer told him he has Airmatic and that's the same thing. I don't think he has Airmatic despite what the guy from the dealer told him over the phone (he could of talked to someone who had no clue about suspension.)

Correct me if I'm wrong but to my understanding all the AMG 500's and S600's are ABC equipped.

I need to know this before jumping into conclusions as both systems are different.

Is there another way I can check by looking under the car, dashboard buttons etc? The car does have a Sport button that stiffens the suspension which works without a problem.

Any Ideas and information would be greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
s320 white
68 Posts
Anyone guys?
you should reat topics about airmatic/abc. then you will know how to tell the difference.

is the car loosing the height over night?

like if its ok in the evening- then you come to it in the morning, is it sits on a floor? or the height is ok?

i think 2001 model will have airmatic. then you drive the car- do you drive with the suspension raised? what tyres you have on a car, and then you say it feels like a boat- what car you comparing with?

there are struts that have air inside- and there are some devices that controling the hardness of the ride. then you press that button you mentiond -sport suspention, is the ride changes? or still same like a boat?

·
Registered
2000 S430 156k (11/12)
507 Posts
If you think you have a compressor for air supply, you have airmatic.
Do you have a ABC button on dash?

·
Registered
Testing Cars ('01 S430), ('04 CL500), ('05 S500), ('05 SL500), ('07 S550), ('09 E550), ('10 GL450)
87 Posts
I can almost guarantee you that your car has AIRmatic and not ABC. The ABC does not run off an electric motor. The noise you are hearing is your air compressor. When you push the lift button, does the car lift up? How many miles are on your car? Sounds like your shocks are probably weak and causing the car to ride softer than normal. Yes the ABC cars do handle better around corners and turns, but they are also very problematic and more expensive to repair when the fail.

Thanks
Adam

Hello everyone,
This is my first post on the w220 section. This is because I am posting for a friend. (I originally own a w140)

It's a 2001 S500 AMG package.. with what we think is a suspension problem.

The car is very loose on the highway. It drags the car if it hits a bump and when turning it doesn't feel stiff at all, I would describe it as very wobbly(Like a boat.)
You can hear the pump/compressor when you raise the car with a button, but it's loud and doesn't sound normal. Also, the car raises up and down, but it won't raise the car all the way to the top.

My friend thinks it's the pump/compressor, but I suspect there is a leak somewhere. Yes, it could be the compressor going bad at this point, but i think if the compressor iss raising the car, then it's not the issue. Feel free to comment at any time, after all I'm not a mechanic but it makes sense that the pump is struggling to raise the car due to an air leak. I feel because raising the car to the highest point requires a lot of pressure, the amount of air going out the leak increases, and fails to bring the car at the highest point. Also makes sense to think the pump is making a louder noise because it's a sign showing it's working more than usual. Again, this is what I think but I am looking for a feedback from you guys.

Another thing, I need to know if the car has ABC vs Airmatic. I had him call the dealer to double check and the dealer told him he has Airmatic and that's the same thing. I don't think he has Airmatic despite what the guy from the dealer told him over the phone (he could of talked to someone who had no clue about suspension.)

Correct me if I'm wrong but to my understanding all the AMG 500's and S600's are ABC equipped.

I need to know this before jumping into conclusions as both systems are different.

Is there another way I can check by looking under the car, dashboard buttons etc? The car does have a Sport button that stiffens the suspension which works without a problem.

Any Ideas and information would be greatly appreciate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts