Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 S500 COUPE & 2003 S500 & 1997 S420 & NEW TO THE LIST 1997 S500 SEDAN
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO ALL , I NEED SOME ADVISE, I PURCHASED A 1997 S500 BLK /BLK VERY NICE BUT HAS SOME MINOR STUFF THAT I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO FIX OR WHATS THE CAUSE.

PROBLEM1
WHEN I TURN THE HEATER ON, THE CENTER VENTS DONT BLOW AIR, I HAVE TO CRANK THE FAN SPEED ALL THE WAY UP TO GET SOME AIR, BUT WHEN I SWITCH TO A/C THE CENTER VENTS WORK JUST FINE, ALSO THERE ARE 2 BUTTONS ON THE CENTER VENT BLUE AND RED , THEY DONT LIGHT UP AT ALL ANY REASON WHY? , MY HEATER DOES WORK CAUSE I FEEL THE HEAT COMING OUT FROM THE SIDE VENTS AND WINDSHIELD.

PROBLEM2
WHEN I START THE VEHICLE IT MAKES THIS LOUD NOISE LIKE SOMETHING IS GRINDING OR WHEN YOU HOLD THE KEY LONG WHAT NOISE WOULD THE STARTER MAKE KIND OF LIKE THAT .ONLY FOR A SEC THEN RUNS JUST FINE. IS IT THE STARTER THAT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED?

PROBLEM3
THE REAR END BOUNCES ALOT THIS VEHICLE DOESNT HAVE THE SELF LEVELING SUSPENSION BUT BOUNCES ALOT IN THE REAR , SHOULD I REPLACE THE SHOCKS? AND IMVERY LOW ON HYD FLUID, IS THAT THE PROBLEM? WHAT KIND OF HYD FLUID SHOULD I USE TO REFILL, WHAT STEPS SHOULD I TAKE?

AND I HOW CAN I REMOVE THE CENTER WOOD TRIM BY THE SHIFTER?

ANY INFO WILL BE VERY APPRECIATED

·
Registered
W140 Mercedes 500 SE, 1992, European, 410.000 km
3,616 Posts
HELLO ALL , I NEED SOME ADVISE, I PURCHASED A 1997 S500 BLK /BLK VERY NICE BUT HAS SOME MINOR STUFF THAT I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO FIX OR WHATS THE CAUSE.

PROBLEM1
WHEN I TURN THE HEATER ON, THE CENTER VENTS DONT BLOW AIR, I HAVE TO CRANK THE FAN SPEED ALL THE WAY UP TO GET SOME AIR, BUT WHEN I SWITCH TO A/C THE CENTER VENTS WORK JUST FINE, ALSO THERE ARE 2 BUTTONS ON THE CENTER VENT BLUE AND RED , THEY DONT LIGHT UP AT ALL ANY REASON WHY? , MY HEATER DOES WORK CAUSE I FEEL THE HEAT COMING OUT FROM THE SIDE VENTS AND WINDSHIELD.

PROBLEM2
WHEN I START THE VEHICLE IT MAKES THIS LOUD NOISE LIKE SOMETHING IS GRINDING OR WHEN YOU HOLD THE KEY LONG WHAT NOISE WOULD THE STARTER MAKE KIND OF LIKE THAT .ONLY FOR A SEC THEN RUNS JUST FINE. IS IT THE STARTER THAT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED?

PROBLEM3
THE REAR END BOUNCES ALOT THIS VEHICLE DOESNT HAVE THE SELF LEVELING SUSPENSION BUT BOUNCES ALOT IN THE REAR , SHOULD I REPLACE THE SHOCKS? AND IMVERY LOW ON HYD FLUID, IS THAT THE PROBLEM? WHAT KIND OF HYD FLUID SHOULD I USE TO REFILL, WHAT STEPS SHOULD I TAKE?

AND I HOW CAN I REMOVE THE CENTER WOOD TRIM BY THE SHIFTER?

ANY INFO WILL BE VERY APPRECIATED
prob 1: your problem is evidently something related to red and blue light at center of console. they should work but only if you press one or another option (red or blue). You must do diagnostic test of your HVAC system. It is easy and fast, no costs and you can do it alone. just search this forum for key words such as "ac test" or similar.

prob 2. i think it is timing chain or tensioner (most probably), respectively. it is usual sound for old cars especially if they are not driven for some days or more. However, your tensioner might be damaged seriously and it is maybe time to replace it.

prob 3: most probably it is shocks like you guessed. and all "free play" in different moving parts. i do not see any relation with low hydraulic fluid. Which fluid exactly?

prob 4: search this forum (advanced search) for key words like "shift remove" or "center console" and you will find instructions.

best regards

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ON THE LT SIDE UNDER THE COVER THERE IS A hydraulic FLIUD TANK AND I READ ABOUT THE FLUID CAUSE IT WAS LOW AND ALOT OF PEOPLE SAY ITS FOR THE REAR SHOCKS AND Accumulators WITH THE SELF LEVELING SYSTEM, BUT LIKE I SAID MINE DOESNT HAVE THAT , SO JUST GO AHEAD AND REPLACE SHOCKS?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AND WHY WOULD THE FLUID BE LOW AND I WOULD HAVE A TANK FOR IT.

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
I'm kind of new to the 140's, and this is my first winter with one. I'm not sure heater air is supposed to come from the center vents? You'd think so, especially with the red-light button. But with the system on auto, and not pushing the red-light button, no air comes out of these vents, nor the side vents, for me. Only by the feet. I just drove her tonight - I should have pushed that button to see what it does in the heater mode. I'm still not quite understanding the logic behind these buttons - why you'd want it to act the way they describe this. However, it seemed to work according to the design for the A/C mode this summer, but it took awhile to verify this.

You say you do not have the self-leveling system. Do you mean you've looked at it, and it's not there ? Your car must have originally come with it if it has the reservoir/tank. Other people have removed parts of it from their cars because they didn't like it, or it broke and they just replaced it with regular parts. Is that what you mean ? Having low hydraulic fluid does not matter if your system no longer uses those parts. Maybe they simply never removed the reservoir.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts