Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello W221 Friends
While the vehicle is in parking mode and the engine is running, after a long drive
There are slight vibrations in the motor and the dial in the rpm clock moves up and down
Anyone know why this is happening?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,094 Posts
No. Have codes read with Mercedes diagnostice equipment.

·
Registered
W164 GL450, W221 S550, R230 SL600TT, R170 SLK230, W140 S500, More
906 Posts
Could be spark plugs, ignition coils, MAF wanting to be cleaned, and/or engine and transmission mounts want to be replaced, are you using premium gasoline? However: could be none of these things but something else. Definitely have the codes read for in insight to what the car will tell you. Some auto parts stores will read codes for you free of charge. Once you have code number(s), google them or return here with them. Sometimes a code will implicate more than one part, or just indicate a misfire. I had a misfire and replaced spark plugs, but I also had an ignition coil that was starting to fail. Car has eight and those are easy to replace right atop the engine unlike the V12! If you do wind up replacing spark plugs, Mercedes are particular (some models more than others) about having the exact right plugs. I suggest always looking to the owners manual and getting the exact one the manual specifies, and no substitutes! When replacing my ignition coils I got Delphi brand, which when I removed the original ones they were the same brand while also had the Mercedes logo on them. New ones cost about $200 for all eight. The spark plugs thankfully the M273 only has eight, and the cost was a little over $100 for the parts, I replaced them myself. If you have someone else do the work then you have added labor cost. Engine mounts along with trans mount, cost a little under $200 and I paid an indy guy $400 to replace those. My S550 has 136K miles on it so those all were "due". The car is so smooth and perfect, when I drive friends somewhere they think it is a two year old car. (It's a 2008)

·
Registered
1997 C280
152 Posts
If no codes show up, then start with the easy items:
1. Clean the throttle body, especially at the throttle plate edges and barrel
2. Change the fuel filter. (Under the rear passenger seat. Access by removing seat cushion, then aluminum access cover.)
3. Change out engine and transmission mounts.

That fixed my problem. With each fix above, it got progressively better!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be spark plugs, ignition coils, MAF wanting to be cleaned, and/or engine and transmission mounts want to be replaced, are you using premium gasoline? However: could be none of these things but something else. Definitely have the codes read for in insight to what the car will tell you. Some auto parts stores will read codes for you free of charge. Once you have code number(s), google them or return here with them. Sometimes a code will implicate more than one part, or just indicate a misfire. I had a misfire and replaced spark plugs, but I also had an ignition coil that was starting to fail. Car has eight and those are easy to replace right atop the engine unlike the V12! If you do wind up replacing spark plugs, Mercedes are particular (some models more than others) about having the exact right plugs. I suggest always looking to the owners manual and getting the exact one the manual specifies, and no substitutes! When replacing my ignition coils I got Delphi brand, which when I removed the original ones they were the same brand while also had the Mercedes logo on them. New ones cost about $200 for all eight. The spark plugs thankfully the M273 only has eight, and the cost was a little over $100 for the parts, I replaced them myself. If you have someone else do the work then you have added labor cost. Engine mounts along with trans mount, cost a little under $200 and I paid an indy guy $400 to replace those. My S550 has 136K miles on it so those all were "due". The car is so smooth and perfect, when I drive friends somewhere they think it is a two year old car. (It's a 2008)
Hello
Thank you for your Privatised description.
About engine mounts - i replaced . transmission mounts - no .
spark plugs - yes .
ignition coils - no .
Definitely have the codes read for in insight to what the car will tell you - I don't have The computer for Mercedes
Where i can buy for my car W221 2006 ?
ignition coil that was starting to fail - what is the original part # (OEM) ?

Do you have book for prats number for S500 ?

Thanks
Guy

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If no codes show up, then start with the easy items:
2. Change the fuel filter. (Under the rear passenger seat. Access by removing seat cushion, then aluminum access cover.)
3. Change out engine and transmission mounts.

That fixed my problem. With each fix above, it got progressively better!
Hello
Can you recommend on manual with pictures how to do this things?:

·
Registered
1997 C280
152 Posts
Hello
Can you recommend on manual with pictures how to do this things?:
THROTTLE BODY CLEANING :
1. Remove intake air ducts and air filter housing.
2. At rear of engine, remove MAF sensor duct. It is clipped on, no tools needed. See photo.
3. Remove plastic 90 degree elbow duct. It is clipped on, no tools needed. See photo.
4. Clean out dirt from throttle body and plate with carb cleaner and a rag.
5. Reinstall by doing everything reverse.

FUEL FILTER REPLACEMENT:
1. Remove the rear bench seat.
2. Under the rear drivers side seat, lift up rubber insulation to access round aluminum cover. twist off to remove.
3. Disconnect electrical connector, undo 6 nuts, lift out retaining ring, pull out fuel filter. See photo.
4. Replace filter with new. $40 on Amazon. See photo.

·
Registered
W164 GL450, W221 S550, R230 SL600TT, R170 SLK230, W140 S500, More
906 Posts
When I am looking for parts or part numbers I often go to rock auto dot com and find the OEM part get the part number there, then find the best price on original genuine mercedes benz parts online. Last two times I got engine and transmission mounts i got from Amazon and the seller was mercedes benz!And cost was close to $200. Ignition coils were delphi brand and cost about $29 each and when removing the "old" coils they had both the delphi name and the mercedes benz star logo on them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THROTTLE BODY CLEANING :
1. Remove intake air ducts and air filter housing.
2. At rear of engine, remove MAF sensor duct. It is clipped on, no tools needed. See photo.
3. Remove plastic 90 degree elbow duct. It is clipped on, no tools needed. See photo.
4. Clean out dirt from throttle body and plate with carb cleaner and a rag.
5. Reinstall by doing everything reverse. View attachment 2662346 View attachment 2662347 View attachment 2662348

FUEL FILTER REPLACEMENT:
1. Remove the rear bench seat.
2. Under the rear drivers side seat, lift up rubber insulation to access round aluminum cover. twist off to remove.
3. Disconnect electrical connector, undo 6 nuts, lift out retaining ring, pull out fuel filter. See photo.
4. Replace filter with new. $40 on Amazon. See photo.
View attachment 2662349 View attachment 2662350
Thanks for the detailed description!
I will try to do it,
im not sure that im understand the fuel filter part, but i will try ti do it.
I will update after
Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I am looking for parts or part numbers I often go to rock auto dot com and find the OEM part get the part number there, then find the best price on original genuine mercedes benz parts online. Last two times I got engine and transmission mounts i got from Amazon and the seller was mercedes benz!And cost was close to $200. Ignition coils were delphi brand and cost about $29 each and when removing the "old" coils they had both the delphi name and the mercedes benz star logo on them.
Very good web site.
Thank you ,
Do you have also recommend for Mercedes S Class Workshop Manual W221 ?

·
Registered
1997 C280
152 Posts
Download the real Mercedez Benz W221 workshop manual here from emaunalsonline.com. They have manuals for all sorts of other cars. It costs $26.99. After credit card payment, you can download it immediately. It is a 445 MB download, so it will take a long time (several hours). It has over 7,000 pages in PDF format and is really good. I love it. It tells you how to take apart every little part of the car. Unfortunately, some photos and diagrams are mixed up, but if you have a PDF editor like Bluebeam, you can relocate the photos and diagrams. Also, you can put your own bookmarks, so you don't have to flip through all those pages to look for what you want. Attached is a page on the fuel filter from that workshop manual. Here is the link for the download of the full workshop manual:

Regarding the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel filter - On most cars, the fuel pressure regulator is attached to the fuel rail on the engine. If one day, you have difficulty starting the engine when it is warm, most likely the pressure regulator became defective. It will need to be replaced. Most mechanics will look for the fuel pressure regulator on the engine. For some reason, MB decided to put this pressure regulator on the fuel filter. You will never find this regulator unless you have the workshop manual, or happen to change out the fuel filter, but then you do not even know where the filter is, to begin with. This part is sold as a combination filter and regulator unit. The above information is to keep in the back of your mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
1997 C280
152 Posts
Regarding scanners - These are the best Mercedes Benz specific scanners after the Star Diagnostic Computer. I have both of them. #1 is the best and can scan 58 computer modules. #2 is very similar but scans up to 54 computer modules and I keep that one in the car always. See:

#1 Amazon.com: iCarsoft Professional Multi-System Auto Diagnostic Tool MB V2.0 Compatible for Mercedes-Benz/Sprinter/Smart, ABS SRS Oil BLD INJ: Automotive
#2 Amazon.com: 2017 GENUINE iCarsoft MERCEDES BENZ i980 PROFESSIONAL DIAGNOSTIC SCANNER TOOL: Automotive

·
Premium Member
2008 S63 (USS Vengeance) <space for a W140, R129>
951 Posts
AAE1D8F2-E0DE-47BC-B74C-EAC897395203.jpeg
Do you have also recommend for Mercedes S Class Workshop Manual W221 ?
I have been using a copy of WIS that I got off of eBay for years, and recently bought another one because my last one only went up to 2014, this new one goes to 2020. You get 4 discs and it installs a virtual machine on your computer that comes with EPC/ASRA/WIS. I absolutely love it for my personal use now and when working at the dealership If I had a job the next morning I would pull up all the info at home and plan my work ahead of time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts