Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1989 560SL
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,
It is my understanding that this is a common problem with the Gas Pedal rehostat (flybywire) assembly. How can this be proven before the assembly is replaced. If not just replace it and see .. would that be the plan. Steve/S500 +560SEC.:: Could anyone give me a hint on how to start the replacement pedal assembly. Steve

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
If it were the pedal then your car would be in limp mode, if it is not in limp mode then you need to have the fault codes read out to get anywhere with this.

·
Registered
1989 560SL
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Acceleration Hesitation

Dear Eric, thank you for the response.
The car does not appear to be in "Limp" mode. It hesitates on the first pedal application as if "no power" then it will pick up with a slow application. If the application is too aggresive then the "Check Engine" light will illuminate. After turning the car off in most cases it will revert to normal acceleration and the check engine light extinguish. Steve

·
52,804 Posts
Dear Eric, thank you for the response.
The car does not appear to be in "Limp" mode. It hesitates on the first pedal application as if "no power" then it will pick up with a slow application. If the application is too aggresive then the "Check Engine" light will illuminate. After turning the car off in most cases it will revert to normal acceleration and the check engine light extinguish. Steve
Hello Steve, this could well be a MAF sensor problem, when you key out and key in you clear the "temporary/soft fault codes" and the only way to find out what is happening is to wait until the CEL comes on and then go to a place to have the fault code read out WITHOUT SWITCHING THE CAR OFF FIRST.

·
Registered
1989 560SL
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Acceleration Hesitation

Dear Eric,
I thank you for that insight. I will do exactly as you suggest and will report back, could take a while as it is not happening all the time very intermittant but no doubt will not get better. So when it happens I will have the codes read and report back. Thanks so much for being here for us..Steve

·
52,804 Posts
Dear Eric,
I thank you for that insight. I will do exactly as you suggest and will report back, could take a while as it is not happening all the time very intermittant but no doubt will not get better. So when it happens I will have the codes read and report back. Thanks so much for being here for us..Steve
You are welcome, I await the results, time is not important, results are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2001 s430 is having the same issue. Both MAF and throttle assembly & sensor were replaced. CPS was replaced two years ago. The problem persists on an intermittent basis. Because restarting the car is the only way to regain gear connection, the car is very dangerous on the highway. Any insight will be appreciated as I do not desire to replace my entire car piece by piece.

·
Registered
1989 560SL
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Inspirelm,
Thanks for your input. This is a real problem but we cannot be alone.
Your comment re, "Gear Engage" concerned me, do you have a problem
other than a sluggish acceleration pick up, no response unless you press
gently then it will pick up... Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for the reply. It is good to know I don't suffer in solitude. In my case, I find that when I take my foot off the gas pedal and "coast" or at idle, I receive the error messages ESP, BAS, and the yellow ABS is lit in the display. The car at this paint is largely unresponsive to pressure on the gas pedal. The engine is still running. Since this usually occurs in traffic or even on the freeway, I have to either completely stop the car and restart in park, or if the speed is 20mph or less, restart in neutral and hope I can place it in drive. I don't want to either destroy the transmission or wear out the ignition motor. My mechanic has a Mercedes code scanner, but has been unable to diagnose the problem in three visits. I do not know how to proceed. As I stated earlier, any insight would be appreciated.

·
52,804 Posts
Thank you for the reply. It is good to know I don't suffer in solitude. In my case, I find that when I take my foot off the gas pedal and "coast" or at idle, I receive the error messages ESP, BAS, and the yellow ABS is lit in the display. The car at this paint is largely unresponsive to pressure on the gas pedal. The engine is still running. Since this usually occurs in traffic or even on the freeway, I have to either completely stop the car and restart in park, or if the speed is 20mph or less, restart in neutral and hope I can place it in drive. I don't want to either destroy the transmission or wear out the ignition motor. My mechanic has a Mercedes code scanner, but has been unable to diagnose the problem in three visits. I do not know how to proceed. As I stated earlier, any insight would be appreciated.
The codes you are getting are soft codes or temporary, once you switch the ignition off and on again the codes are gone. Next time the lights come on take it to your mechanic without switching the car off and do not let him switch it off until he has read out the codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you Eric, I noticed your earlier post and had planned to contact my mechanic so he can be waiting for me. Last time I visited his shop the car had just shut off, but I did not understand the nuance of a "soft code" and the relative necessity of retaining ignition contact. I will be taking it in next week when my kids are back at school. Thank you for the heads up. Leslie

·
52,804 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to ask if a conversation with the mechanic to check the speed sensor is justified?
He will achieve little without the fault codes to narrow down the possible cause.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts