Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2000 S500 Both Brilliant Silver!
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i have a slight problem with my 00 s430. last friday i went to my car to start it, ignition turned over but it would'nt start. waited a few hours and tried again and she started right up. i took it to a benz mechanic on sat. he said the problem was that the check engine light was on for so long.(this problem, was diagnosed from dec. that it needed an air flow meter). i told him to put in a brand new air flow meter, the check engine light still did not go off. he then tells me that there were 24 codes that needed to be cleared and he cleared them,during that time the battery died, so i bought another battery. the battery was for a c-class and i was not surprised b/c it is a used car. on sunday the problem reappeard. she turned over but did not start. after about a few minutes she turned back on. now this is getting ridiculous. on monday i tried starting it @ 9am didn't want to turn on. she finally started @ 10am. on my way home the engine shut off completely and i sat there for ten minutes, then she started. i feel that it is an overheating problem or an electrical problem.today i discovered that when the temp gauge is between 80-100 degrees it won't start. i'm the fourth owner and the car has 112000 miles. i bought it @ 90000. thanks for your responses. help!!!!!!!!!please

·
Registered
2001 S430
62 Posts
Get a better MECHANIC!!!! Is there a default in there somewhere that prevents it from starting at less than optimal battery and alt levels?

·
Registered
2000 S 500
42 Posts
sounds familiar

I had a very similar problem with my 2000 S500....sometimes it would start...sometimes it wouldnt....mechanic couldnt figure it out...wasnt the crankshaft position sensor.....two tows and two trips to the shop later (and a new battery) we figured it out.....the key was not "communicating" properly...try turning the key to the on position without trying to make it turn over...leave the key in the on position for a couple of minutes..the key and the car will communicate with each other...then turn off and remove the key....put it back in and see if it will work....kinda a long shot, but this would be better than putting a new crankshaft position sensor in!! hope it works!! let us know...

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2000 S500 Both Brilliant Silver!
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, i appreciate all your responses. i've already tried the key in the ignition for two minutes but the problem persists. the next thing for me is the crank positioning sensor. 'preciate those comments, keep em coming.:)

·
Registered
CL 600 RennTech
46 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2001 S500. It stalls and won't start anytime whenever it wants to... feel so bad many time on street, intersection.... Can we replace the CPS sensor by ourselve? And where it is located at?
Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I tried your trick and it worked...

I don't recall ever chainging the bateries in my key remote,
maybe that's all that it needs, will do and let you all know if this works
for me before paying another $82.5/hr to have a mechanic tell me that
"they cannot develop the problem" and send me home again with the same
problem..."

Will be in touch,
Beercap
:baby bottle:

klexgs said:
thanks guys, i appreciate all your responses. i've already tried the key in the ignition for two minutes but the problem persists. the next thing for me is the crank positioning sensor. 'preciate those comments, keep em coming.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help!! My 2000 S430 is stuck in my driveway

hey guys, i have a slight problem with my 00 s430. last friday i went to my car to start it, ignition turned over but it would'nt start. waited a few hours and tried again and she started right up. i took it to a benz mechanic on sat. he said the problem was that the check engine light was on for so long.(this problem, was diagnosed from dec. that it needed an air flow meter). i told him to put in a brand new air flow meter, the check engine light still did not go off. he then tells me that there were 24 codes that needed to be cleared and he cleared them,during that time the battery died, so i bought another battery. the battery was for a c-class and i was not surprised b/c it is a used car. on sunday the problem reappeard. she turned over but did not start. after about a few minutes she turned back on. now this is getting ridiculous. on monday i tried starting it @ 9am didn't want to turn on. she finally started @ 10am. on my way home the engine shut off completely and i sat there for ten minutes, then she started. i feel that it is an overheating problem or an electrical problem.today i discovered that when the temp gauge is between 80-100 degrees it won't start. i'm the fourth owner and the car has 112000 miles. i bought it @ 90000. thanks for your responses. help!!!!!!!!!please

I have the same problem with the exact same mercedes. Now my car battery has died because we never drive it because if we drive it it might not start when we try to leave our destination. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Is this a crank position sensor? Or something more serious? How much is the part? Can any mercedes shop fix this?

·
Registered
Mercedes S500L W220
268 Posts
mcavs, I'm having that problem at the moment! Will a new key or new battery fix this?

·
Registered
W209 CLK500 & W220 S430
320 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2001 S500.

It stalls and won't start anytime whenever it wants to...

Feel so bad many time on street, intersection....

1) Can we replace the CPS sensor by ourselve?

2) And where it is located at?

Thanks.

1) The cps is not very hard to replace . . .

2) Behind left head near fire wall.

Do a crank position sensor & cps search for more info.

It took me less then half an hour to do this replacement.

The part can be purchased at your local Auto Zone for 50 bucks.

Pick up a small mirror, & a magnet wand while you are at the parts store.

If you don't have those star sockets, a 1/4 nut driver worked fine for me . . .

You'll need to remove the air cleaner, & vacuum lines to see your work area.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1271906-crank-position-sensor.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1264952-crankshaft-position-sensor.html

Red, *<:){)-

·
Registered
9 Posts
i know we are 3 years down the line on this but does anyone know if you actually sorted the problem out...?
I to have this problem when my 2000 w220 it gets upto 80c, it cuts out and when it cools down to 50c it starts, the only problem is it takes 40 minutes to cool down, i have been told, Fuel pump, Fuel relay, Crank positin centre.... well i am biting the bullet and just off to the stealership to buy a Crank position sensor £92 / $138 so although i am not convinced, I will let you all know if this sorts the problem out.

·
Registered
W220 S430, W220 S55
33 Posts
i know we are 3 years down the line on this but does anyone know if you actually sorted the problem out...?
I to have this problem when my 2000 w220 it gets upto 80c, it cuts out and when it cools down to 50c it starts, the only problem is it takes 40 minutes to cool down, i have been told, Fuel pump, Fuel relay, Crank positin centre.... well i am biting the bullet and just off to the stealership to buy a Crank position sensor £92 / $138 so although i am not convinced, I will let you all know if this sorts the problem out.

I have the same problem he just shut off on me about an hour ago in a very busy intersection I felt like a big piece of shit sitting there. can you let me know what fix your problem my when it hits over 80c cuts off as well and I have to wait until it cool down do it will start PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!!:bowdown:

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I have the same problem he just shut off on me about an hour ago in a very busy intersection I felt like a big piece of shit sitting there. can you let me know what fix your problem my when it hits over 80c cuts off as well and I have to wait until it cool down do it will start PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!!:bowdown:
AMG, it's your CPS, I just answered your post in the General forum with a link to a DIY.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar starting problem, with my S500, when i turn the key, to start, it sometimes starts, motor turns for 10 sec and then dies. after trying this a few times, the car starts and after 10mins of running, it shuts off again, sounds like the problem is electronic, could it be the crank position sensor? please help

I have tried the key, programming, that does not work, but when i lock the car and unlock it with the key,then it starts, for 10 sec and stops, i take the key out, lock, it and unlock it , and then start the car it then runs for ten sec, when i do this a few times it will then run for ten mins and then stop.

·
Registered
W220 S430, W220 S55
33 Posts
I have a similar starting problem, with my S500, when i turn the key, to start, it sometimes starts, motor turns for 10 sec and then dies. after trying this a few times, the car starts and after 10mins of running, it shuts off again, sounds like the problem is electronic, could it be the crank position sensor? please help

I have tried the key, programming, that does not work, but when i lock the car and unlock it with the key,then it starts, for 10 sec and stops, i take the key out, lock, it and unlock it , and then start the car it then runs for ten sec, when i do this a few times it will then run for ten mins and then stop.
My was the CPS I changed it before yesterday and now its back to new and the CPS cost me 63.00 bucks. it only took me 30 min to the job

·
Registered
9 Posts
uzairshuja, i'm no mechanic / technician but your problem sounds like the key is faulty and not communicating with the car ....? (but i am no expert.... )
amg, happy yours is fixed, i too have purchased a CPS, with discount it cost me £82 = $120(everything costs more here) i am having it fitted tomorrow Monday 9 Feb, fingers crossed it sorts my problem out...?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello everybody, as promised, we have fitted our CPS and everything is back to normal, so for everybody who has my symptoms as listed above, the cure is a "Crank Position Sensor".
Thanks to all who advised me.
Les.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need help on S430

Greetings Folks:
I am glad to locate this site. I can see that there is a very active and helpful bunch of members here.

I also need some guidance. My wife also has an S430 and just like the some of the posts here, the S430 will sometimes not start. It cranks and no check engine messages but it will start the engine.

This AM I tried teh suggestion of one the kind members here to leave the key in an on position for two minutes and then remove it and then start it again.

When I tried to start the engine after two minutes and taking the key out. It still will not start. I left the car for 5 minutes and tried it with the doors closed and it started. I have no idea what would have caused it not to start or if any of the things I did somehow made it start.

I know that problem is still there as it happened twice already.

We are planning to take to a mechanic today but I do not want to be charged for replacement of part that that is not really defective like an ignition switch. Is tehre pretty much a consensus here that the problem is Drive Authorization and there we can validate this by bypassing it (if it possible)

Thanks for your feedback

·
Registered
2001 E320, 2005 S430
1 Posts
Dead Battery...recharge or not to recharge?

This is my first ever post, so apologies for my newbie status...

My 2005 S430 has been sitting in storage for some time now (maybe about a year). So of course, since no one has driven it in forever, the battery is dead. I tried to recharge, but the battery doesn't seem to hold the charge. Is there some sort of reset button or something that I am missing?

When turning the key in the ignition, I hear the clicks of it trying to start.

Thanks for your help!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts