Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I had a trunk issue on my 2001 S430.It was not opening from with the switch on the driver side door. It was only being able to open with the key manually. After research here in the threads, I found out that it could be due to a leak in the equipment which closes the trunk. Sure enough, I found the black little round box defective. So, I took it out. Apply some super-glue and put it outside to dry. Accidentally, my son closed the trunk. Now, I can not open it, even with the key. Is there any way to open the trunk, in this case?
Please advise,as you could imagine, how frustrating this can be!!
Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
trunk won't open

I thought the key wasn't working this week when I couldn't open the trunk with a dead battery. The MB guy came and showed me how to used the mechanical key correctly. Turn it all the way to the left. The roadside assistance and jump start were free. I asked him to replace the battery and he did for $165. Glad I did because he had to reset a lot things after taking out the old one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally called MB roadside assistance. but the technician had no idead about this Mercedes. He looked all around, called back the MB assistance, but never could figure any thing out. As I stated, I took the black plastic box out for repair and then accidentlly closed the trunk. So, I know, metal key won't work, as there is no mechanism for it to work. Then, how can it got locked? what are the other option? Please, please give me some thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
2000 and 2003 W220 S500
930 Posts
I'm sorry for your troubles.

I would talk to a more senior Mercedes tech at the dealership. Usually, you can just go right up to the repair bay and talk shop with those guys for free. I usually bring donuts.

If you can't get your answer there, they can usually point you in the right direction.

If you're feeling bold, see below.

This might seem unrealted at first glance, but you might have to go through the rear seat to get to the trunk/boot. This details how to get the stuff out of the way and hopefully you can use the emergency "I'm trapped inside the trunk" latch to open it.

There is a good deal of things you have to remove, so good luck.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1541633-factory-subwoofer-removal-upgrade-project.html

I'll try and get some diagrams on how to do this when I get home.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,216 Posts
Not a bad suggestion, Gabby. He won't be able to "go through the rear seat" because the fuel tank is behind it, but he may be able to access the emergency button with a stick through the bass speaker hole (or perhaps there are several holes).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sorry for your troubles.

I would talk to a more senior Mercedes tech at the dealership. Usually, you can just go right up to the repair bay and talk shop with those guys for free. I usually bring donuts.

If you can't get your answer there, they can usually point you in the right direction.

If you're feeling bold, see below.

This might seem unrealted at first glance, but you might have to go through the rear seat to get to the trunk/boot. This details how to get the stuff out of the way and hopefully you can use the emergency "I'm trapped inside the trunk" latch to open it.

There is a good deal of things you have to remove, so good luck.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1541633-factory-subwoofer-removal-upgrade-project.html

I'll try and get some diagrams on how to do this when I get home.
Thanks a lot.
I will wait for your diagrams, before progressing further.
Appreciate your time and help.

·
Registered
2000 and 2003 W220 S500
930 Posts
Best of luck. This seems rather involved. Please pay attention to the step numbers highlighted in blue and/or purple. Although I've tried to make this as easy as possible to follow, I have not done this myself and don't have much in the way of tips.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Diagrams are coming online.

I know this might be silly to suggest now, but does your door trunk unlock still work?
You mean, trunk door unlock?
It is locked up. I had the round black plastic accuator took out for repair and the trunk accidentely got locked. Now, since there is no mecahnism to open, I have no idead how to open. To my surprice, how can it got locked with out such michanism? I hope, I answered your question.
Thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My question is this, if you removed the lock mechanism to super glue the problem so many of us have, how did your trunk lock without the latch? The part you superglue is attached to the latch that locks and you couldn't have re-assembled the piece without it. How did that happen? I've had trunk problems for a while and pretty familiar with this piece by now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys.
OK. I opened the back seat part. Now, after crowling into the trunk, what do I do? Where is the imergency trunk opener switch? Is there a such thing OR I have to mess with the locking mechanism itself?
Please advise.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
mechanical trunk lock

Unless I don't understand exactly what you have done, I believe you might have made this way more complicated than necessary. If all you removed was the hockey puck, then the mechanical latch should still be in place. If that is true, all you have to do is insert the manual key into the lock and turn it counterclockwise until the latch releases. The manual key is inserted into the back side of the remote, so just pull it out. Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
trunk lock

Yes it is the circle lock with the key slot in the center...I don't think it should be glowing green, but it is not important. If you insert the mechanical key and turn it clockwise it operates the power assisted release, so nothing will happen. Turn the key COUNTERCLOCKWISE and it will release the mechanical latch directly.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.