Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried doing a search to find an answer to this, but couldn't find it - so I'm sorry if I'm re-posting, but:

How many miles is too many when buying a used S430 - I would like to buy a 2000-2002, with under 70k miles for around $26k - realistic?

At what mileage should I begin to get concerned?
Is this a good idea? Any comments?

I bought a '83 Porsche 911 with 160k miles because those cars go until about 300k before giving out.

Thanks very much in advance

Lib

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
$26k...realistic...Not in my estimation unless its a theft recovery, bank repo, some drug dealers car offered by the fbi, etc. It would have to be in very rough condition or have 120,000 miles on it to be had for that price and whats even worse is that youll probably have to travel to get a car in that range. I dont know of longevity on the new ones. You want longevity w/ few issues, go with 1995 or older[;)]

·
Registered
2000 S500 Sport
79 Posts
A 2000 S430 with around 70k can be had for that price if you shop, of course the catch is that you're looking at no newer than 2000 and no less than 70k for only $26k. Check eBay, many MB dealers list cars on there for less than the car lot prices, that's where I found mine.

Be sure to get a warranty from a reputable company, I bought one from CNA through the MB dealer, I paid $2,800 for a 3-year/36,000 mile used car warranty and it has already paid out over $4,200 in repairs so it was well worth it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fantastic!

Thank you so much for your replies.
It really helps and gives me alot of encouragement.

I know that I'm asking alot, as far as price, etc - but I have the time and patience.

Cheers to all.

Lib

·
Registered
10 GLK 350 4Matic
704 Posts
It's all about the maintenance. I would rather buy a 100K mile car with every record than a 70K and nothing behind it.

EBay can be a good choice, but the extended warranty becomes mandatory. Pick a dealer with a sterling feedback and lots of Mercedes experience. No shortcuts here.

Look at Kelley Blue Book prices and shoot for paying the "Trade-In Book Value". If you are paying over that ( including the shipping - $800?) you are leaving something on the table. The question is how much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a 2002 S430 with 29K miles and still under factory warranty. I had to fly to Atlanta to buy it and drove back with it. This car looks and drives like a dream but it cost me $42K.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts