Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....

Ive seen people pluck the exhaust and pluck the mounts out that way. I’ve seen people drop the steering rack. And I’ve seen people pluck the alternator and AC Compressor and take that route.

Is there any good reason one can’t pull the mount out through the wheel well by removing the wheel and the well liner? The other ways look painfully complicated.

·
W220 Moderator
6,028 Posts
Hi,

I seriously don't think you will gain anything by removing Wheel Arch liner ;)

Believe it or not the Exhaust Downpipes removal is by far the easiest method, and the Manifold Bolts WILL come undone ok, I've never broken one yet, and I often remove them as it makes various tasks a whole bunch easier ;)

Use decent tools, like a 6 point impact socket on them, not Chinese junk which will likely round them off ;)

·
Registered
2005 S600
518 Posts
If you pull the wheel arch liner, you’ll see the the frame and subframe completely block access to the mount. You won’t even be able to see it, much less get it out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like I’m plucking the exhaust!

I looked from the inside and there is a heat shield that blocks access to the mount from the outside. That sucks!
Should I replace the exhaust bolts after removing them? Or can they be used again?

·
W220 Moderator
6,028 Posts
Hi @JAGastrock ,

If you replace them with Genuine MB Bolts, and torque them up correctly, they will definitely come out again ;)
You can "wire wheel" them and coat in Copperslip or better still "Ceramic" CDI Injector Grease" and that will usually suffice ;)

Worth running a Tap through the threads to clean 'em out ;)

HTH,

·
Registered
2005 S500 with amg package
92 Posts
I lowered the steering rack a little and that worked. The issue with removing the exhaust is making certain that you get it back correctly, if you don't the exhaust gas can get into the car and make you sleepy. not worth the risk when other methods work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I ended up dropping my steering rack.

On conference calls, I spend time coloring in my “cuss word coloring book”.
I used every bloody one of those words whilst removing the drivers side mount.

The passenger side dropped out in about 5 minutes.

In my time spent under the car, I also noticed the bushings on my spring arms are shot, and my front Airmatic struts are on borrowed time. After doing this repair, the car is eerily quiet inside.

Ever and onward!

·
W220 Moderator
6,028 Posts
Glad you got that job sorted another thing ticked off your list :)

Just an aside ...........

If anyone can't remove an exhaust and seal it up properly upon replacement then they really should not be holding a spanner in the first place :(
Really scary that these guys are fitting brakes and suspension components etc :cry:

·
Registered
2005 S500 with amg package
92 Posts
Safety Dave. it's just about safety. I would have thought you above everyone would be on board with that.

·
Registered
2009 E350 4M Avant Garde, My Mistress 2002 S600, Wife 2014 C300 4M Avant Garde with AMG
965 Posts
The MB exhaust manifold to cat connections are bullet proof. When reconnected, they never leak. PIA: You really need 2 hands from below, and 2 hands from above with long extensions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not worried about exhaust going back, I’m just worried about snapping a bolt off on the way out. But the exhaust wasn’t what was in the way this time. It was the steering shaft

·
W220 Moderator
6,028 Posts
The MB exhaust manifold to cat connections are bullet proof. When reconnected, they never leak. PIA: You really need 2 hands from below, and 2 hands from above with long extensions.
I’m just worried about snapping a bolt off on the way out.
Absolutely agree guys :)
I've never had one snap off yet tho ;)

Safety is not the issue ;)

·
W220 Moderator
6,028 Posts
I get flashbacks to dropping the exhaust on a Toyota Land Cruiser, and all 3 studs busting off.
Hi,
The MB Bolts are much better quality than most, all my Customers who have non MB Cars always end up paying extra for Bolt Extraction etc, but with the MB's, even really old grotty looking Bolts still come out ;)

Vauxhall rubbish is the worst for snapping Manifold Studs, you only have to look at them and they break off :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts