Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just took delivery of a 99 S320 with 12,411 original miles---What oil would you experienced W140 owners recommend? (synthetic or natural, and does brand make a difference?).

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello,

I just took delivery of a 99 S320 with 12,411 original miles---What oil would you experienced W140 owners recommend? (synthetic or natural, and does brand make a difference?).

Thanks!

·
Registered
93 300se, 94 s420, 98 s420, 95 s500, 97 s500, 96 s320w, 96s320, 99 s420
603 Posts
Hello,

Thanks!
well synthetic is always the best, but it all depends if your pocket holds that, natural aint bad either like castrol gtx anti sludge protection its up ther $4.20 per quart. for the oil weight you got to look in th owners manual at technical refrence page, if i recall it right i think its 10w40 seasonal year round..

btw out of curiosity how much did you pay for the car ?? any pics of it ??

·
Premium Member
84 500 SEL ...94 S420..... 95 S500.... 96 S500 95 S600
1,689 Posts
12,000 original miles?

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE! Wanna sell it?

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
Mobil 1 with a weight that is right for your climate is what MB recommends for the W140.

·
Registered
2005 W211 E320
1,254 Posts
Yes, typically whatever MB recommends is the best way to go, can't go wrong there. I think, it being a '99, technically they would recommend synthetic, however I've been told by several good mechanics that even regular oil is made well enough now that it works just as well, and synthetic is a waste of money.

Not sure how you feel about it, if you can afford it, may as well go synthetic (for the peice of mind), but if you're interested in saving about ~$60 or so per oil change, regular should be OK.

Check with an MB dealer for exacts, and somewhere there's a chart you can read from which shows what weights are good for which climates. Just remember good maintence and regular changes and you should get MANY more miles from your car. I've got over 140k now on my S320 and no leaks, no burning, still runs smooth! Personally, in the Wisconsin climate I've been running Mobile-1 10W30 year-round and no troubles at all.

And, obviously, congrats on finding such a great car with so very little miles! What a dream! ... Pictures of the car would be great, if you could post some!

Edit: Search the board for "oil chart" or something, I'm sure you'll find it already on here somewhere.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
The weights are also on the back of the oil container so you can look when you're buying.

·
Registered
2005 W211 E320
1,254 Posts
^^ That's true. Oil weights may have even changed a bit since the charts were made, so best bet is take a look at the oil at the store and see whats best for your climate. Just go with Mobile 1, and synthetic if you don't mind the cost, otherwise regular isn't bad to use.

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,564 Posts
Hi Dean320
It must b an as new W140 you have there , i dont know exactly how many Miles 12,411 in Kilometres is but seams to be fairly new or just running in ( a car 10 Years old ,lol ), to me , so why add a different Oil than what Mercedes Originally Delivered the Car With,wouldent it be a wiser decision to get Original MB oil ,specific for W140 Engines,than any other Brand out there,i know it may cost a little extra but you probably have one of a Few if any W140's with that kind of Milage,congrats on the Purchase .
Mobil 1 is the one in any Case but i thing that MB oil could b a little cheaper ( ? ) ,i dont know /
Ciao & look after the Beauty ......:thumbsup:

·
BenzWorld W140 Host
W140 S 320 L & R129 500SL
1,918 Posts
Congratulation on your new car.

Is that car advertise on ebaymotors? I think i saw one advert with that low miles. I can't find that auction on Ebay now.

*edit*
ok I've merge the two same threads/topic together.

·
Registered
mercedes s320 lwb 18k kms
447 Posts
wow deans320 and i thought i had a low mileage w140. pics so we can all admire it. i was thinking the same way you were with my low mileage 320 but sooner ar later you realize that its just like any other car. nothing so special just stick with recomended fluid your ok.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
There's so much confusion about oil it's kind of ridiculous really. Your car was delivered originally with conventional oil. The requirement, in the U.S. only, to use synthetic oil on 98+ FSS cars came later as a product of the FSS lawsuit settlement. That lawsuit effected only U.S cars. In other markets conventional oils are still approved for 98+ cars. In any case the problem that initiated the lawsuit was the 98+ 112 and 113 motors. Your 104 motor is a holdover from the prior era and never had any problem with conventional oil.

The other great myth is that Mercedes, the factory, recommends Mobil 1. The factory actually approves very specific lists of oil by year and market. The MBNA U.S. market recommendation of Mobil 1 is the result of a marketing and diistribution agreement in the U.S. MBNA is paid to say that so it is hardly an independent and objective assessment of your interests. Better to listen to the factory.

·
Registered
2005 W211 E320
1,254 Posts
^^ Some great information there, in fact that's right, here's a list I stumbled upon online of MB approved oils:

Mercedes-Benz Engine Oil Recommendations

They market Mobile-1 as the best choice but the factory says your options are open to other's.... Mobile-1 I think, is a great brand of oil, not to say there would be anything wrong in particular with the others, your choice. Really, as long as you've got good clean oil in your engine you're in good shape, it's mostly preference.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
There's so much confusion about oil it's kind of ridiculous really. Your car was delivered originally with conventional oil. The requirement, in the U.S. only, to use synthetic oil on 98+ FSS cars came later as a product of the FSS lawsuit settlement. That lawsuit effected only U.S cars. In other markets conventional oils are still approved for 98+ cars. In any case the problem that initiated the lawsuit was the 98+ 112 and 113 motors. Your 104 motor is a holdover from the prior era and never had any problem with conventional oil.

The other great myth is that Mercedes, the factory, recommends Mobil 1. The factory actually approves very specific lists of oil by year and market. The MBNA U.S. market recommendation of Mobil 1 is the result of a marketing and diistribution agreement in the U.S. MBNA is paid to say that so it is hardly an independent and objective assessment of your interests. Better to listen to the factory.
Thats exactly right the preference for Mobil 1 is a marketing agreement, it's still a bloody good oil though. That being said I'd run any decent synthetic from a major brand without thinking twice.

·
Registered
2006 ML 320Cdi Off-Road package, 2010 E500 Cab
340 Posts
Congrats on a great find.
You do know about the 10 post limmit unless you post pics??

·
Registered
2007 ML 350 Iridium Silver/ Ash (Sold)
568 Posts
Good Luck with your Mercedes - Benz . You will find out that this is a GREAT Car. I have a Mercedes- Benz S Class 1996 S320 Long Wheel Base, 99,000 miles. I was advised by two MBZ service advisers at different dealers that I should change to synthetic oil on my car. I have done the change and have found no problems. I use synthetic oil in all three of my MBenzs.The choice is yours, depending on your pocket.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts