Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my water pump in my 97 S320 is starting to go..I"m goin to change it out..Does anyone know can you do it without removing the radiator??? should i use mitchell diy or alldata???? thanks Erik

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
you don't need to remove radiator, but be careful not to puncture it with tools since you don't have much space especially when removing fan. do yourself a favor and replace it before it gets below freezing. it is labor intensive job, i know it took me almost all day, but it was the most difficult job i had done so far at the time. if i had to repeat the process would probably take me 4 hr max. considering the age i recomend replacing upper/lower/bypass hoses, thermostat, and serpentine belt since you will have the old one out. use zerex g-05 coolant or mb labeled one and use 50/50 coolant/distilled water ratio, that is what mb recomends. if you live in very cold winter area the max mb recomends is 55/45. drain radiator before removing water pump. also don't get a very cheap water pump from ebay. i think autohaus has graf pump for good price. all parts should cost you a little over $200.
http://w124-zone.com/downloads/MB CD/W124/w124CD1/Program/Engine/104/20-2100.pdf

·
Registered
'95 S320, 63 corvette coupe,
83 Posts
I replaced mine without a need to remove fan. Just needed to remove fan shroud, belt tensioner, PS and water pump pulleys.
Recommend great care with loosening four allen heads holding pump to block. Round one out and it will be hell. Especially the forward lower one.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i did the pump today it took me about 2 and half hours didn't really run into any trouble other than i broke the temp sensor new one coming monday.. thanks for everyones help

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
You got it done in pretty good time.

For future info - ALLDATAdiy does not have any instructions for the water pump removal / re-install, and I have the subscription for a '97 S320. It has just about everything for the pump except instructions. There's one diagram that is the same as what's on the 1st page of tirona's link.

That's my major complaint with ALLDATA - some of the more routine things just aren't there.

On the other hand, the water pump removal doesn't look too hard, and being on top makes it so much easier, and you can see everything right away. My '73 220D's pump was behind a large A/C compressor bracket, which fit ultra snugly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts