Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995 s320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, and thank you for all your valuble information in these forums.

My question is. I am replacing both of my upper control arms on my S320 in the front.

The replacements look exactly the same and fit perfect however how tight should the bolt and nut be that run through the part closest to where it attaches to the body of the car....there's four bolts there.....This bolt and nut are actually part of the upper control arm, it's what holds it in the housing that bolts to the body.....

That long bolt and nut was loose. so how tight should that be? I can tighten it after I install it but how tight?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Mitch

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
From ALLDATAdiy for a '97 S320:

Vehicle » Steering and Suspension » Suspension » Control Arm » Specifications » Front Upper Control Arm » Tightening

TIGHTENING
Upper Wishbone To Frame 50 Nm
Wishbone Arm Self Locking Nut 120 Nm
Clamped Joint Upper Wishbones To Knuckle 125 Nm

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 s320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much.....

Mmmm I was wonder about that 63mm equeling the distance A. After I have the knuckel in place and bolted to the control arm, how would one really measure that......After that was bolted down I just went ahead and tightened everything else down........

I hope all is well with the way I tightened it down.......

I'll take it to the my alignment shop and have them go over it.....That is even if they do that....

Again thanks my friend......

Mitch

·
Registered
1986 560SEL, 1986 560SEL, 1992 500SEL, 1999 S500
473 Posts
I believe they are telling you to tighten it up in a position that represents the normal ride height. You can also mount the wheel and lower the car to the ground and then tighten the bolt. That is what I have always done. I have read somewhere (Aldata or WIS) that the bolt should be tightened in a neutral position--aka ride height--so that the internal bushings are not twisted beyond their design limits.

·
Registered
1995 s320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I got it now. That's reasonable and strait forward thank you also.....

The car runs like a dream so much smoother I also put lower balljoints in it....

unfortunately I noticed the Stabilizer Bar link was bad so I ordered both of those and went ahead and put everything back together....So when they come I'll just have to take the rotors off again and install those two items...

Oh well.......My daghter has her car to drive again......HA HA she hates the Caddy....

Thanks again,

Mitch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts