Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'89 s124 300td
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need some help on attaching the tailgate cladding.

Some background -
I had the car repainted.
My car is a 1989 model but the PO facelifted it (94-95 E-look)
I'm trying to attach a cladding that I got from another s124 (E-look).
The cladding that came with my car was just glued on to the tailgate and was perhaps involved in an accident as it has fiberglass on it.

Now, I don't know if I have the wrong clips or if there is something that goes between the tailgate and the cladding for me to attach this properly
Or perhaps the clips are supposed to be attached somewhere else

·
Registered
'89 s124 300td
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Can I have the MB part number for that? and hopefully a picture

When I got this from the Parts store, we looked repeatedly at the EPC and this the clip that appears.

I'm trying to look into the russian epc site and it doesn't detail the tailgate cladding parts

·
Registered
1992 230CE
188 Posts
Your number should be A1249900292.

·
Registered
1995 e320 wagon
165 Posts
Those look like the right clips, can't tell if you have them in the hole right or not. most of the body should be in the hole, with just the front clip part attaching to the outside. You screw the trim into them. The screw holes on the trim are behind the stainless strip that goes along the top.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
70 Posts
they changed the cladding from screws behind the chrome strip to whiet plastic clips in 1994. so their are two types of cladding. looks like you need the clips or want to drill holes behind the chrome to re-instate the screws

the chrome i think carefully clips off. taking care not to bend it.

the clips you have bought are correct but you have fitted them wrong, they slide into the rectangular hole so that the screw then goes into the round bit above

·
Registered
1995 e320 wagon
165 Posts
Like silver saloon said, the screws go into the clips you bought. I didn't realize there were two different attachment styles, you might consider getting the correct clips so you don't have to drill holes. Mine is a 95 and has the screws, go figure. To get the metal trim off, push it to one side, pull that end off then push it the other way to slide it off. I'll take pictures of my old metal trim and broken plastic part when I get home.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
'89 s124 300td
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
First, I'd like to thank you guys for all the help and suggestions.

Here are the clips I bought already -
Part number 140 994 02 45

I guess I have 2 options.

Option 1) Get the plastic clip with part number A1249900292. (thanks @max1995)

Option 2) use my current metal clips. This requires me to take off the chrome part and drill some holes under the chrome garnish

@SilverSaloon: "the clips you have bought are correct but you have fitted them wrong, they slide into the rectangular hole so that the screw then goes into the round bit above"

I was just trying them out first as I was not sure where to install them. But yes, when installed properly, I think that is how it will look like

@christauph "The screw holes on the trim are behind the stainless strip that goes along the top."

However, as illustrated in the 3rd picture of the thread, The clips do not line up to anything on the cladding. I might be wrong but from the angle of the clips when installed, it looks like the screws will be (wrongly) infront of the cladding, not on top and under the chrome bit

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hi!

These are the clips you'll need:

The handle slides on from the right, give it a light tap and it should snap right into place. :)

I have not seen these screwed on... And I'd advise to not take off the chrome strip, it a) bends easily and b) the clips holding the chrome strip seem to be single use items...

·
Registered
'89 s124 300td
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, this is really a great forum.

@200T. Thanks for the pics. Any chance you can send a close up shot?
Does the back of my cladding look the same as yours?
Do the holes on my tailgate look the same as yours?
(I'd just like to make sure that after I get the clips, it would match)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sorry, the car is sold, I will not take it off again in case I breake it... The backsideb & position of the holes look the same (mine is a '89 too). The 'E' / 2nd facelift had the same claddings as the 1st facelift IIRC.

·
Registered
70 Posts
yeah i'd say get the clips. as that matches the cladding you have.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts