Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
W220
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Yesterday my S320 with 30,000 km was working fine, but when I started the car this morning the vacuum doors, pwr windows, locks (well it works but the little knob won't go down) and the rear headrests won't go down no matter how many times I push down the button for 'rear headrests down'. The on-board computer in the speedo says 'no malfunction'. Well here are the specs:

Mercedes Benz S320 import from Germany
about 30,000km

Any other specs needed? Please reply!

Cheers,
Kevin

·
Registered
2008 CL63; 2007 R63; 2001 S55 (sold ... and I miss it); 1996 Porsche 993 C4S; 2014.5 Range Rover LWB
85 Posts
A little while back the vacuum assist close on my rear doors and power locks would not work. Took it to the dealer and it was a bad vacuum pump. Not sure if this would cause power window or headreast issues though.

·
Registered
2009 BMW Z4, 2005 SLK 200, 2004 S 280
1,950 Posts
Yeah, do the dealer bit.

Here in Bangkok the dealer picks up and delivers the car after service. One of the perks of after we pay so much for our cars. So, we rely on the dealer to do everything...it is almost free.

Where are you?

·
Registered
W220
31 Posts
mercedesbenzs320 said:
Hey all,

Yesterday my S320 with 30,000 km was working fine, but when I started the car this morning the vacuum doors, pwr windows, locks (well it works but the little knob won't go down) and the rear headrests won't go down no matter how many times I push down the button for 'rear headrests down'. The on-board computer in the speedo says 'no malfunction'. Well here are the specs:

Mercedes Benz S320 import from Germany
about 30,000km

Any other specs needed? Please reply!

Cheers,
Kevin
Did you tint your front windows recently or ever exposed your windows to water (heavy raining or maybe water spilled)?

All symptoms are saying this would be the door control module burned off and it's non-repairable. Basically It just shorts off and you're looking at $700+ replacement If done by dealership.

Mine shorted out after I left my car with driver's window opened and obviously exposed all the buttons to the rain that started all of the sudden.

P.S. This would not be the vacuum pump.

·
Registered
2006 S55 renntech stage 4
38 Posts
Corkscrew said:
So, we rely on the dealer to do everything...it is almost free.

Where are you?

What!!!! Someone said free in the same sentence as dealer??? Not here in the states! What kills me about my local service center is as long as the car is covered under warrenty nothing needs done. But once you hit that magic moment when starmark runs out sign over your first born.. Which is why I have a very good friend who is a certified benz mechanic to look my S class over before taking it to the dealer. Now they really hate me but oh well!!

And just like any 5 series and above bmw we have to be careful when we get windows tinted. Make sure the shop you choose has done a car like yours before and knows what can happen if water gets where it was not designed to be. It may cost more but it will save a lot of headaches if some discount tint shop does your car. I found this out the hard way with an M5 I owned back in 2002. The shop wouldn't pay for the damages and bmw wouldn't cover it either. All due to me failing to ask if they had ever done a car like mine before.

·
Registered
S500/W220/2000
21,652 Posts
Two things:

1. Take it to the dealer. W/ only 30k it should still be under warranty.
2. Do a search here. This issue has been cussed and discussed a hundred times.

·
Registered
W220
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Talked to dealer

@Jayhawk: I've already searched and well I can't find any other thread that's on my prob... and sry forgot to mention this a a '01 car.. the warranty expired long ago :(

@bcfos: I'm not in the States, I'm in HK.

@Singularity: I have not tinted the windows and I guess I did expose the driver's door in the rain for a few secs... $700??? Wow

@everybody: I checked the dealer and it was just a few blown fuses! I wish they'd have better quality cars... Any ideas on how much the new fuses are gonna cost?

·
Registered
2001 MB S600 Fab Design 1972 MB 280 SE 1998 Accord
68 Posts
Hello bcfos....... You have mentioned that you have a friend who is a Certified MB mechanic right? My problem just started 2 weeks ago with the vacuum assist doors all 4 of them stop working but the drivers door stop working first before all 3 followed. I have a 2001 S600 I would really appreciate if you can help me.....please,thanks!

·
Registered
S500/W220/2000
21,652 Posts
kuku369 said:
Hello bcfos....... You have mentioned that you have a friend who is a Certified MB mechanic right? My problem just started 2 weeks ago with the vacuum assist doors all 4 of them stop working but the drivers door stop working first before all 3 followed. I have a 2001 S600 I would really appreciate if you can help me.....please,thanks!
Have your dealer check the numatic pump. I has probably failed.

·
Registered
2001 MB S600 Fab Design 1972 MB 280 SE 1998 Accord
68 Posts
Thanks Jayhawk......were is th numatic pump? I thought of taking it to the dealer but I know how they are......they usually charge u an arm and a leg....lol.... anymore help would be nice,thanks a lot !

·
Registered
S500/W220/2000
21,652 Posts
kuku369 said:
Thanks Jayhawk......were is th numatic pump? I thought of taking it to the dealer but I know how they are......they usually charge u an arm and a leg....lol.... anymore help would be nice,thanks a lot !
I don't know where it is, but the dealer can tell you and will not charge you unless you have him fix it. They will not rip you off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts