·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you familiar with the German language:
(Please correct if I'm wrong)
The S stands for "Spitzen" -klasse.
What does Spitzen mean? Is it "super" or "special" according to my own knowledge of the German language or does it stand for something else?
C = Kompakt?
E = Executiv?

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
I don´t believe the "S" in S-class stands for "Spitzen"

I think that the "S" in "S-klasse" stands for "Super", but sometimes it is also referred to as "Sonder-klasse", which would translate to something like "Special class".

I tried to make a complete translation of all Letter combinations used by Mercedes. Do you disagree on anything, or did I miss any combination?

HP = "Horse Power" (used on the very first Mercedes Benz models)
S = “Super� or "Sport" or "Saloon" (depending on which car carries the badging)
SS = “Super Saloon�
Sc = "Saloon coupe" (?)
SSK = “Super Saloon Kurz� (Short)
SSKL = "Super Sport Kurz Leicht (Light)
K = "Kompressor"
H = "Heckmotor" (rear-mounted engine)
E (after model number) = “Einspritzung� (Injection)
E (before model number) = “Executive�
SE = “Super Einsprizung�
SEL = “Super Einspritzung Lang“ (Long)
C (after model number) = “Coupe�
C (before model number) = “Compact�
CE = “Coupe Einspritzung�
SEC = “Super Einspritzung Coupe�
SL = “Sport Leicht�
SLC = “Sport Leicht Coupe�
SLK = “Sport Leicht Kurz�
SLR = ???
CL = “Coupe Luxus� (?)
CLK = “Coupe Luxus Kurz� (?)
G = “Gelände� (Terrain)
D = “Diesel�
CD = "Coupe Diesel"
SD = "Super Diesel"
T = “Touristik"
CDi = “Common rail Diesel injection�
ML = ???
A = ???

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's what I think on some of them:

CDI= Common rail direct injection not "diesel"

Here's what I think on some of them:

CDI= Common rail direct injection not "diesel"

ML= the "L" is added so it doesn't get confused with the BMW "M" cars

The CLK and CL are still mysteries to me.

SLK= K= kurz or kompressor? But why would there be a "Kompressor" after the SLK230 badge.

AMG= Aufrecht, Melcher, Grossaspach

CLE(future car)= coupe luxury executive?

Maybe some of these letters are made up to make it rhyme or sound good:
L in CLK, CL, CLE, ML
A in A-Class

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
You are right regarding CDi.

Why don´t you buy my sugestion regarding the L (=Luxus)in...

You are right regarding CDi.

Why don´t you buy my sugestion regarding the L (=Luxus)in CL, CLK etc?

And regarding the ML, what does the "M" stand for?

"K" in "SLK" as well as CLK for sure stands for "Kurz" (short)

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
According to one of my MB books, for newer S-classes (after the mid 90´s when the "S" was ...

According to one of my MB books, for newer S-classes (after the mid 90´s when the "S" was moved in front of the number) the "S" stands for "Saloon".

On earlier S-classes, where the "S" is behind the number, the "S" stands for "Super". This I have seen in lots of literature. In one book however, an old S-class was refered to as "Sonder-klasse".

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the S-Class is a saloon, which is another word for sedan, aren't the C- and E-Classes s...

If the S-Class is a saloon, which is another word for sedan, aren't the C- and E-Classes saloons to?

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
I agree. "Super" or "Superior" makes more sense to me. Saloon is what my book said though,...

I agree. "Super" or "Superior" makes more sense to me. Saloon is what my book said though, but it can fo course be wrong.

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Saloon:

1. A place where alcoholic drinks are sold and drunk; a tavern.

2. A large ...

Saloon:

1. A place where alcoholic drinks are sold and drunk; a tavern.

2. A large room or hall for receptions, public entertainment, or exhibitions.

3. Nautical.
a. The officers' dining and social room on a cargo ship.
b. A large social lounge on a passenger ship.

4. Chiefly British. A sedan automobile.

3 b fits quite good to an S-class [:)]

·
Registered
Mercedes Musso TD
73 Posts
S-Classes

[?]Hello,, Im a bit confused of S's I know this days SEL, SEC,dont exist,, but,, Is the SEL a long wheelbase version of the S-Class? how about the SEC? Thanks,,...

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is a short history on the S-Class nomenclature:

Back then Today

Here is a short history on the S-Class nomenclature:

Back then Today

SE S-Class short

SEL S-Class long

SEC CL-Class coupe

·
Registered
Mercedes Musso TD
73 Posts
Since SEL is a long S-CLASS and that word does not exist in todays new mercedes-benz.. Bu...

Since SEL is a long S-CLASS and that word does not exist in todays new mercedes-benz.. But there is still the Long Wheel Base Version but refered to be "L" Like S500L yes,, so 500SEL of yesterday is now S500L,, hehe,, we'll american folks,, dont you know that there is S320 and S280 Here,, and Benzes always 2-times the price of Benzes there since we have 100 percent tax here,,... too bad,, thats why a lot of pipol smugle luxury cars,,.,..

·
Registered
Mercedes Musso TD
73 Posts
Since SEL is a long S-CLASS and that word does not exist in todays new mercedes-benz.. Bu...

Since SEL is a long S-CLASS and that word does not exist in todays new mercedes-benz.. But there is still the Long Wheel Base Version but refered to be "L" Like S500L yes,, so 500SEL of yesterday is now S500L,, hehe,, we'll american folks,, dont you know that there is S320 and S280 Here,, and Benzes always 2-times the price of Benzes there since we have 100 percent tax here,,... too bad,, thats why a lot of pipol smugle luxury cars,,.,..

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's unfortunate that many folks around the world have to pay $200,000 or more for an S-Cl...

It's unfortunate that many folks around the world have to pay $200,000 or more for an S-Class, let alone an S280 Short Wheelbase. It's quite amazing that the luxury tax in some places like Thailand and Singapore are over 300%. There is no better place to own any Mercedes-Benz than the United States!

·
Registered
'90 560SEL
2,553 Posts
Where I live is a pretty "fortunate" place to own a Merc...

...though I concede the cost of ANY new Merc is prohibitive other than via a tax minimisation business expense, though I expect this is a worldwide - and not just a local situation. Secondhand cars are a different story though, as "pre-owned" RHD imports from Japan, Hong Kong, and Singapore are relatively cheap, and of course are not in demand to LHD markets (other than maybe Russia - where as usual - anything goes!)
Once here, these(secondhand) cars tend to compete with shiploads of all manner of other Asian vehicle castoffs and are thus relatively cheap to buy, yet still notoriously expensive to maintain (no surprise here!)
You USA Merc. owners really do have wonderful opportunities not available to many other countries.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts