Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

Bradley here again. I wanted to ask all of you about a very important topic / problem.

As you all know, NY was slammed with a tremendous amount of snow on presidents day. Now, I KNOW that cars arent supposed to be able to plow their way through 3 feet. But what about when there is just 5-7 inches on teh ground with some ice. Are mercedes with Sport packages useless? I tried over and over, reverse and then drive, reverse and then drive, but it would NOT move. I even switched off ESP to allow the wheels to spin, and STILL I was unable to move the car from it's parking spot. My dad has a 2001 740iL without sport package and his car was at least able to get out of the drive way and go 1/2 way down the block before having some snow problems ( mind you that was in over a foot of snow)
In addition, WHen making a turn (going about 15 mph) i encountered an ICE patch which then sent my S class into a fish tail. The traction SORT of activated but the car continued its spin till I, the driver, turned into the skid to try and regain control.
Is $100,000 not enough to pay for a car that is truly able to handle a brush of winter activity?

Do any of you have theses problems? My friend says it is the sports package which is giving the problem. Performance tires are rubbish in the snow. He has a 330i Bmw with sport package and his acts the same way.

What do you all think? Tell me your stories please as I am truly interested to know!!!
Thanks !!!!!!
All the best
BRadley

Attachments

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
I have a regular S430 and have never had any problems with it in the snow. I have taken th...

I have a regular S430 and have never had any problems with it in the snow. I have taken the car out in 3-6 inches of snow many times and everytime ESP, ASR, and ABS help me to retain traction where even other SUV's have trouble. It could be the sport package and tires that are giving you trouble in the snow. Or it might just be too much snow.

·
Registered
E320
135 Posts
You need snow tires...

You have very wide, sport tires with tiny tread patterns. Your best bet is to buy a set of snow rims and tires. Ultimately you want a slimmer (7.5 to 8) rim with snow tires. The best bang for your buck on that car will be with 16" rims if you don't mind the smaller look. I just ordered a new E-class and I'm keeping the stock rims just for snow tires and ordering a set of nicer 18's for summer driving.

·
Registered
2012 ML550,
32 Posts
S500 sport in the winter

I had a 2001 S500 sport. I now have a 2003 S55 AMG. On both vehicles snow tires are a must. The sport comes with Dunlop SP9000's, which have very soft rubber compounds to provide great adhesion to the road in the summer when it is hot. However, below about 35F, this rubber actually freezes, which means you are then actually driving on 'slicks' or tires with no tread! No wonder you could not move, and it was also dangerous! If you put winter/snow tires on (on a separate set of rims,) you will have no problems and you will be a lot safer. Just one small accident, or hitting a kerb with your existing AMG wheels will be about the same cost as a set of your snow tires. As to your buddy with his BMW, he most likely has on "all season tires", which are a compromise at best. They will have far less road holding capability than your Dunlop SP9000's in the summer, and less ice and snow traction than dedicated snow tires in the winter.

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI!

Thanks for the response. What do you do when the winter comes and your S55 is ba...

HI!

Thanks for the response. What do you do when the winter comes and your S55 is bad with the snow and ice? Do you take your rims off and put on other wheels / tires? Doesnt that mean id have to take it to a place to have this done if i dont want to do it myself?

Brad

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: HI! Thanks for the response. What do you do when the winter comes and your S55 is ba

What do you do when the winter comes and your S55 is bad with the snow and ice? Do you take your rims off and put on other wheels / tires? Doesnt that mean id have to take it to a place to have this done if i dont want to do it myself?

Brad
Yes, that's exactly what it means. The easy thing to do is to order a snow tire and wheel package from www.tirerack.com It comes installed and balanced so all you need to do is jack up each of your wheels, use a torque wrench to take off the stock wheels, and replace them w/ the snow tires. You can do it in less than an hour. My brother's fastest speed is 10 mins per wheel. But he uses a large jack, not the one that comes w/ your car :) Or just pay a gas station garage to do it.

Dizzy

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Chuck V

Hi Chuck,

Is that your real name or a nick name? My friends call me Chucky because i loved those Childs Play Movies.

I will probably have to go and buy myself some snow ties. Its a shame that Mercedes charges $5000 to put a sports package on the car, and then we have to spend a further $3500 for a set of wheels and tires to handle the snow.

It should be considered a hazard driving in the bad weather in a sports packaged vehicle. it truly is not safe.

Brad

·
Registered
2002 G500
15 Posts
Follow Dizzy's advice.

Brad,

You need snow tires. Its not your Sport Package. Yes, the High Performance tires you get with the package are part of the problem -- but even All Season tires will slip and slide in the snow. And yes, the 18" wheels / tires with a wider profile just make things worse. Smaller and narrower is better.

But Dizzy is right. The TireRack is the place to go. They have the best price I've seen. No sales tax. Reasonable freight charges. And they will ship the tires directly to a installer of your choosing (they also have a listing of recommended installers).

Buy a set of stock MB 16" alloy wheels. I put on a set of Pirelli Snow Sport 220. Everything together should be around $1200. Installation should be between $15 - 25 per wheel / tire combo, adding another $100.

But all in all, much less than damage from an accident.

Depending on how much driving you do, the Snow tires should last 2 - 4 years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Brad, I am pulling stock wheels off my 2000 S500 next week and will sell them. Tires are b...

Brad, I am pulling stock wheels off my 2000 S500 next week and will sell them. Tires are brand new (2 months old) Michelin tires stock size. I will not need these for winter, as I am in FL. Wheels are also excellent condition. This car is Starmarked that I bought 2 mos. ago.
Let me know if you are interested.
Steve

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Again

Thanks for the advice, i will think about it. I know it is so difficult to drive in this weather. Are snow tires also good on pure ice? Would you believe there is a complete sheet of ice around my area.

Brad

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TEMPERATURE GAUGE PROBLEM

OFF THE TOPIC OF ice - Id like to ask about heat.

When i drive, my temperature gauge will vary from 80 degrees up to 100 degrees...... never going past 100, but never staying in the same place as other cars.

Is this a problem? I have an appointment in a few weeks for my dealership to look at it

what do you think?

Brad

·
Registered
S600 Sport
19 Posts
Well hopefully we are through with the snow and ice for this season. Your best bet is to p...

Well hopefully we are through with the snow and ice for this season. Your best bet is to park the car. I was in Lake George during the past huge storm. While there was a lot of snow there, the following day the roads were cleared. I was still hesitant to drive. I think I need a G500.. [:D]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts