Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunatly when I ordered my S class last July, the V60 was not advertised, so, I currently have the Timeport. Has anyone swapped out their Timeport for the V60 themselves rather than allowing the dealer to do it?<br> <br> The kit contains the phone, cradle and cord. The cord actually plugs in via RJ-45 connection underneath the armrest as well. (Toward the back). Is this all that needs to be done? Swap out the cradle and plug in the new cord? Not to sound cheap, driving a 600, but if I can do this in 10 mins, I would rather, than allow the dealer to have my car for a day or two and charge me another 1k on top of the price.<br> <br> Anyone who has experience, your input is appreciated.<br> <br> Thanks,<br> Greg

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have installed a few v60 systems for myself and friends. Although I have only installed the full systems, I am familiar with what needs to be swapped for a Timeport to V60 retrofit.<br> <br> Drop me your email and I will help you out, or, you can private msg me on MBWORLD.org at http://forums.mbworld.org/ .. My username there is awiner ....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in San Diego and would like to find out more information about your installations. Is it possible to integrate my existing v60 into my 2001 S500 w/o purchasing the kit from Mercedes?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately you need the Mercedes branded Motorola first and foremost. The Mercedes branded Motorola’s have proprietary firmware in them that allows communication between them and the Phone Support Electronics in Mercedes vehicles.<br> <br> Secondly, Mercedes vehicles are pre wired from the factory, however, still need the kits to make them complete. The kit consists of the PSE and VR modules as well as numerous other parts such as compensators, fiber optic connections and misc. wires not to menttion the cradle and cord kits.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Adam:<br> <br> Please we should talk. From what you are saying, there is more to this than swapping out the existing timeport cradle as well as cord? (I noticed the plug has a rj-45 connection and plugs in behind the cradle, under the armrest?<br> <br> What more is there? Do armrests and consoles, etc need to come out? Please advise.<br> <br> Thanks,<br> Greg

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see you have a 2002 model S600 with the Timeport K2a as standard equip. It is my understanding that all of the mid to late 2002 model production with the k2a option, included the latest PSE module. This PSE module supports both the Timeport and V60 (It is identifable via the Blue coding sticker on the PSE itself, v.s. a green sticker on the older PSE's). Early production 2002 models with the k2a option MAY not have the latest PSE and therefore would need a PSE replacement as well.<br> <br> If you have the later PSE, a cradle and cord kit as well as a Mercedes branded Motorola V60 is all you would need to purchase.<br> <br> If you do not have the later PSE, a new PSE module would be needed as well.<br> <br> For information, 2001 models with the k2a option DO NOT have the later PSE and would require a PSE upgrade for v60 functionality.<br> <br> If you need any further information, leave me you email address and I would be happy to get in contact with you.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your input Adam... What does PSE stand for and where is it located, ie: I trust I should look to see the color coding of the sticker. My car was delivered in Nov 01 so I trust production would have been october 01??

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can tell the production month/year of your vehicle by looking at the drivers side door jamb. You will see a sticker with the vin number, misc info as well as a xx/xx month/year production date.<br> <br> The PSE (Phone Support Electronics) module is located in the trunk behind the drivers side trunk liner. It is a black rectangle box identifiable by looking for the orange fiber optic connection as well as a larger DB25 plug. I don't know how easy it will be to check out without removing the mounting bracket it is located in. If you really want to take a shot at it, get me your email and I will email you some instructions.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry bout the blank message..<br> <br> okay... i checked it out.. first of all, car was built 08/01<br> <br> the PSE has no color coded stickers on it. Just a white lable with <br> <br> model # SYN8738c<br> <br> along with a customer and serial number?<br> <br> Does this tell you anything?<br> <br> Thanks!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That SYNxxxx # is a Motorola part number. I have a cross reference list (SYNxxx to Mercedes Qxxx #'s) somewhere that may tell me something. I will look for it when I return home this evening.<br> <br> Did you happen to look at BOTH sides of the PSE ? I have never seen a PSE without either a Green or Blue sticker on it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I found the sheet I was looking for while here at work. As luck would have it, Motorola does not list a cross ref. # for the PSE in the 2002 models, however, they do for the 2001 model. In 2001 the PSE Motorola part # is SYN8738A (Timeport only PSE).... Since you have a SYN8738C, I'm ' assuming ' that you probably have the dual Timeport/V.60 PSE. To be sure, I still would like to verify if you have a green or blue coded sticker. Again, you may actually have to remove the PSE bracket and then remove the PSE to see it. If memory serves me correctly, the new PSE's were being installed in approx Nov or Dec of 2001, so August may be a bit of a chance here.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As a side question, did you happen to notice a Qxxxxxx # on your PSE? Looks like the dual (Timeport/v.60) PSE Mercedes Part # is Q6820754 whereas the (Timeport Only) PSE Mercedes Model # is Q6820648 ....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took it out completely, no stickers anywhere, top, bottom, sides...<br> <br> sure, Customer # - Q6820648 <br> <br> So, I presume I have the timeport only model. If so, the newest PSE should come with the installation kit? Just 'plug and play?' Any additional programing or anything?<br> <br> Thanks Adam, I have chosen to keep this thread here rather than email so that others with the same questions may get answers.<br> <br> Greg

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would attempt to verify this information through your dealers service dept. just to be sure. If in fact you do need the new PSE, it is part of the kit. The part #'s you will need for your vehicle are:<br> <br> PSE: Q6820754<br> V60 CRADLE/HOLDER KIT: Q6820724<br> V60 HOLDER MOUNTING TEMPLATE: Q6820755<br> V60 HANDSET: Number depends on your carrier choice.<br> <br> <br> All MY01 & MY02 Timeport only phone installations can be upgraded to the new V60 phone. The upgrade consists of simply installing the new MY02 PSE, the applicable V60 Cradle Kit and the V60 Handset Kit. No other programming will be required in your case. It should be a plug and play installation since your fiber loop is already version coded correctly.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I phoned the parts department of my dealer. He stated that all components are plug and play and no additional programing would be necessary.<br> <br> Here is the info, you were right on the money.<br> <br> The kit consists of the following:<br> <br> PSE: Q6820754 - $237.00<br> <br> V60 CRADLE/HOLDER KIT: Q6820724 - $200.00 (He stated this consist of Cord, Template and Plate)<br> <br> V60 HANDSET: Q6820787 - $595.00 (Verizon)<br> <br> He stated that the V60 HOLDER MOUNTING TEMPLATE: Q6820755 is included in the 0724? Yes, No?<br> <br> Guess that does not really matter as it will be included in the overall kit contents. What we have learned though is production cars of August 01 or before do not contain the V60 compatible PSE. Just plug and play the items and the phone should be ready to rock and roll.<br> <br> What type of feedback do you have as per the quality of the unit working within the cars system? Will there be any differences compared to the Timeport?<br> <br> Adam.. Many thanks for your input, you were a great help! Now, one other question. How come when I run my VIN number on the following site: http://registry.mbnz.org/modelguide/ It shows it as a S55L AMG rather than a S600?<br> <br> Mercedes-Benz Vin Decoder <br> VIN WDBNG78J22A2xxxxx <br> Year of Manufacture 2002 <br> Chassis Code 220 <br> Manufacturer Name Daimler-Benz <br> Model S 55L AMG <br> Restraint Systems Front/Side/Head Curtain Airbags <br> Displacement 5439 <br> Horsepower 354 <br> Fuel Gasoline <br> Production Plant Sindelfingen <br> Country of Manufacture Germany <br> Production No. 2xxxxx

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The template is probably part of the cord and cradle kit. You may want to check around with wholesale companies like Autowerkes Express or Autoclass.net. You will be able to get the items for a substantial discount off of dealer price.<br> <br> I too have Verizon Wireless as my carrier here in California and use the same v60 handset part # you posted.<br> <br> The v60 integration should perform just like the Timeport integration in car for the most part. I will tell you that the v60 is really a much nicer phone to use out of the car. The 2 way SMS text messaging is a great feature as well as the voice control of the actual handset out of car.<br> <br> <br> Regarding the VIN checker, it may have never been 100% perfect. I remember Frank asking for people to check it out and email him if inconsistencies were found.<br> <br> Come check us out over at forums.mbworld.org sometime... Glad to be of help.<br>

1 - 20 of 34 Posts