Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning

I am seriously purchasing my dream car an S550. I currently have a Lexus GS350 so dependability is very important to me. I'm reaching out on advice about tips on buying an S class. My current wishlist is a 2015 or newer that is CPO with under 50K miles, AMG wheel package and possibly a 4Matic. Any help or advice you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Is it better to buy locally or out of state to get the best deal?
Is it worth the money to purchase the prepaid maintenance?
Is it worth the money to extend the CPO?
What are the normal dependability issues affecting S class sedans?
Is 4matic worth it? Or, does having this option increase maintenance costs?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I mean for me CPO is the way to go. My logic has always been if I can go one year with no major issues then why extend the warranty. Newer is better with the W222 has the later ones tend to have the issues ironed out of them. 4Matic is worth it if you live where it snows. Also, it is just nice to have for grip as well. If you can extend the warranty then that is always a plus as it gives you piece of mind.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am totally new here, but I had the same goal. I really wanted to go with a plug-in S550 which were super hard to find. So in shopping locally in the SF Bay Area I found that most of the CPO's were not in great shape and had lots of miles. I finally found the one that had mostly what i wanted, S550e Plug-in Hybrid, AMG Sport and Wheel package, with most all goodies save the Limo rear and night vision package, but it was in Los Angeles that was CPO. Found one in Phoenix that was black (not my first choice) but had all the equipment, but it was old out from under me. I ended spending $57k and got 2 extra years warranty and 3 years service. I love the car so far, crazy I get 40MPG on my 85 mile round trip to work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I buy all my cars used, and buy an after market 5 year warranty with depleting deductible. I've had one CPO car. My latest is a 2015 4matic s550, and i wish i did not get the 4matic. the ABC suspension is so much smoother over bumps, and i see a little advantage going through roundabouts on the 4 matic, but with proper snow tires, not worth the ride difference.
Never purchased the maintenance plans, i don't go to the dealer, i go to a cheaper sop that specializes in MB
you get the best deal where you find the car you want at the price you want. Up to you if you want to spend money traveling? Depends on where the car is, how much it takes to get it home etc, compared to the one you have found close to home.
I have 30k miles on my car and i have only had issues buying tires and brakes, and by issues i mean, is seem to buy a lot of tires and brake work. Otherwise, rock solid, nothing has gone wrong and the car has 75k miles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I too buy used and have used an auto broker to save dollars. I picked up a 2016 S550 4matic with 36,000 miles and have !4,000 miles or 10 months left of factory warranty. Not sure what the 5 yr warranty with depleting deductible. Does that mean deductible is on a sliding scale over the duration? Still have run flats on it and I hate them. Looking to replace with Michelins Pilot Sport AS3+. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't tried the Michelin yet, my "original" tires were Pirelli's (they were added by the previous owner), and I went to Continentals. My next set are going to be Michelin's. Not sure i will use run-flats or not, i have AAA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the car located in Alabama. The price was right and location was close enough to drive myself. Got the 3 year maintenance plan and considering extending the warranty an additional 2 years. This car is a big beauty. I’ve only put about 400 miles on it so far and enjoyed every mile so far. This car will be a weekend driver so I can keep the miles low. Drinks a bit more gas than I thought but this is my first V8.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got the car located in Alabama. The price was right and location was close enough to drive myself. Got the 3 year maintenance plan and considering extending the warranty an additional 2 years. This car is a big beauty. I’ve only put about 400 miles on it so far and enjoyed every mile so far. This car will be a weekend driver so I can keep the miles low. Drinks a bit more gas than I thought but this is my first V8.
Nice pick up! :smile

I am totally new here, but I had the same goal. I really wanted to go with a plug-in S550 which were super hard to find. So in shopping locally in the SF Bay Area I found that most of the CPO's were not in great shape and had lots of miles. I finally found the one that had mostly what i wanted, S550e Plug-in Hybrid, AMG Sport and Wheel package, with most all goodies save the Limo rear and night vision package, but it was in Los Angeles that was CPO. Found one in Phoenix that was black (not my first choice) but had all the equipment, but it was old out from under me. I ended spending $57k and got 2 extra years warranty and 3 years service. I love the car so far, crazy I get 40MPG on my 85 mile round trip to work.
I am also looking at a couple here in the Bay Area, and found one at MB of Walnut Creek with pretty low miles - 12K. Did you happen to check out a Selenite Gray 2017 S550e there as well?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nope, I shopped in March and there were zero here. Wish I had that choice so I could have found one closer by, but what is done is done. I love the car, it was SUPER clean, LA Clean vs. Bay Area clean and even smells new on the inside.

I highly recommend the car, but you should know this is a BIG car so be ready to make room in your garage, I had to remodel some of the garage (moved a tool box and some shelves) and can hardly fit in but makes it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nope, I shopped in March and there were zero here. Wish I had that choice so I could have found one closer by, but what is done is done. I love the car, it was SUPER clean, LA Clean vs. Bay Area clean and even smells new on the inside.

I highly recommend the car, but you should know this is a BIG car so be ready to make room in your garage, I had to remodel some of the garage (moved a tool box and some shelves) and can hardly fit in but makes it.
17 feet in length.....this bad boy is lengthy! Thanks for the reminder, will need to bust out the tape measure and measure my garage depth. Glad you were able to find your car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Getting the CPO gets you one extra year of factory warranty, but you can still buy an aftermarket warranty from a good reputable third-party dealer. I had one in Phoenix that I was going to buy but it got bought out from under me before I could get out there and buy it. That was going to be third party warranty. Getting out of state will depend on what you want and how fast you can get there to get it. Nobody wants to reserve a car.

I did extend the warranty, I got them down on 3 year maintenance and the 2 extra years of warranty to just about half of where we started the negotiations. If you can chew them down than I think it is worthwhile. I feel good that I paid 60% of the price of the car new and have the same warranty that I would have gotten. it had the AMG wheels too albeit only 19" which are just a tad small for this car but they look great.

Now for the 4 matic, I had no interest in that, someone can chime in here, but unless your going to be needing it for traction in bad weather seems like it adds weight and more things to go wrong later on.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have a livery service and I just bought a 2015 S550 to replace my 2007 S550 with 352000 Miles what still looks great and runs flawless .
Regarding the tires some mention here I tried Micheline and continental both only last 20000 Miles and because they are staggered the warranty is cut in half so you get nothing.
I tried 3 years ago General tires {Tire Rack},awesome no riding difference to the Michelin and last 45000 miles the price $ 680.00 for a set

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good Morning

I am seriously purchasing my dream car an S550. I currently have a Lexus GS350 so dependability is very important to me. I'm reaching out on advice about tips on buying an S class. My current wishlist is a 2015 or newer that is CPO with under 50K miles, AMG wheel package and possibly a 4Matic. Any help or advice you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Is it better to buy locally or out of state to get the best deal?
Is it worth the money to purchase the prepaid maintenance?
Is it worth the money to extend the CPO?
What are the normal dependability issues affecting S class sedans?
Is 4matic worth it? Or, does having this option increase maintenance costs?
Don't limit yourself to only local options. Half way across the country will only cost you $700-800. Autotrader and similar sites can be of great help. Don't forget to look at dealer sites and their CPO inventories all over the country. Many of those cars aren't listed anywhere but their site. Use those sites to determine your option preferences, as there are a few. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Prepaid maintenance is not worth it. In almost every instance you are paying for more than actually needs to be done. As an example; your B services are going to be the most costly if you allow them to do the full list. The thing is, you don't have to do the full list to meet the B service requirements.

Extending the CPO. That's a crap shoot. I'm on my third CPO and didn't purchse the extension. 2 glad I didn't. The third ended up being a wash.

Dependability issues are very few. The most likely costly thing you will experience is the air suspension after 100,000 miles, if at all. It will run you $4-5k, depending, maybe a little less. Less likely would be a stretched timing chain. $800-1100. Tires, you're going to eat through the rears much faster than the fronts. I run Michelin Pilot Sport 4s's. Run flats. More costly, louder, decreased performance, sensitive to sidewall damage. Get rid of them. Get a AAA Platinum membership for $125 and have 300 miles worth of towing that can be used as many times as you wish up to the mileage limit. Good luck finding a tire in stock at your local tire shops. You're going to be waiting two days for a replacement. Much greater supply of conventional tires. Don't drive it like it's a sports car and brakes last very well.

I didn't go with 4matic as I live in Texas.

Just picked up a 2016 S550. 27,200 miles.
Premium 1
Sport pkg.
Surround View cam
Rear seat entertainment pkg.
Driver Assist
Rear deck spoiler
Warmth and Comfort pkg.
Magic Body Control****
Night View Plus
20" AMG wheels

$56,500.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts